Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Kia and Hyundai to Reimburse Owners for False Efficiency Numbers

Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Kia and Hyundai to Reimburse Owners for False Efficiency Numbers

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/h...iciency-claims

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle4853689/

Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. and Kia Canada Inc. announced today they will reimburse drivers who bought cars from them between the 2010 and 2012 model years, because an error at the companies' testing facilities in Korea caused the company to think the cars are more fuel efficient than they are.

The companies said in a release that 172,000 cars across Canada are affected.

On average, the fuel consumption across all Kia and Hyundai cars is actually 0.3 litres higher per 100 kilometres than advertised — meaning if your car allegedly can go 100 kilometres on 10 litres of gas, chances are it will actually use 10.3 litres to do that trip.

Both companies have implemented a comprehensive reimbursement program to any current or former owners of the cars in question.

Owners will get a credit card loaded with cash to cover the extra fuel they have had to buy. How much the card will have on it is based on the average fuel price where they live, and how much the car was driven.

Drivers will get gas card

Drivers will also get a 15 per cent top-up to compensate them for the inconvenience, the companies say.

"We are very sorry about the errors and we are committed to making sure the owners of every affected Hyundai vehicle are fully compensated," Hyundai Canada CEO Steve Kelleher said.

"Kia Canada deeply regrets that this situation has occurred and will ensure all affected Kia customers will quickly receive fair compensation," Kia Canada CEO William Lee added.

The companies say the fuel consumption rating discrepancies came from procedural errors during a process called "coast down" testing at joint testing operations in Korea.

The move came about as a result of an investigation from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The agency says their invetigation is ongoing, but won't comment on whether any additional fines might be forthcoming.
Yeah, their fuel efficiency station was miscalibrated. <wink> <wink> EPA audited them and found out they were (in some cases) sorely misleading consumers on the fuel efficiency of their vehicles, especially the Kia Soul.

0.3L/100 km doesn't sound like much but when you're advertising 5.5L/100 km on the highway, it's a 5% difference. Some companies only get 5% better fuel economy from one generation to another, so it's a significant jump backwards. Typical adjustment was 1 or 2 mpg (which matches the 5% number) but the Kia Soul dropped 6 mpg (!!!).
Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't wait until every hybrid and electric car has to do the same as their batteries age....
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, Honda had a similar situation a few years back on the Odyssey, where the odometers were rolling faster than actual miles. Settlement included an extension on manufacturer warranty among other things.

The Hyundai/Kia one is interesting since consumers have a direct financial impact w/r/t fuel costs.

Interesting bit from Jalopnik...

“I saw the story this morning and my first thought was: I wonder how many minutes before the first class action is filed?” Legal expert and automotive historian Steve Lehto, who wrote The Lemon Law Bible, tells Jalopnik.

“My advice (based on what I’ve read so far) is to take the debit card and run.”

http://updates.jalop...ey-and-run-says
Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Didn't honda get sued for the insight not achieving the claimed mpg?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing that gets me is that this kind of stuff can be the result when corporate cronies and governments mix.

Maybe Hyundai futzed the tests...and if they did shame on them. But, I bet it is possible to get 40mpg in the covered models...just probably not in the "standard" EPA tests.

I'd bet there's others that futzed the tests that much and maybe more, but for some reason the US government goes after the Koreans.

I have 2 cars. On my S2K I get better mpg consistently than both numbers. In my MS3 I get better city MPG than I do the highway sticker. I'm pretty sure I could coax 40mpg out of those if I get a tank to learn the right technique.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
From my knowledge honda never had a lawsuit due to hybrid mpgs but I believe the toyota prius did but could be wrong..We did have an odometer issue about 4 years ago like someone stated above but that didnt cost any consumers money. All honda did was give an extended warranty to cover the difference of mileage and anyone that leased a car and went over mileage honda was covering upto about 5000 miles over their lease limits but thats all I know about
Your knowledge is lacking to the tune of $460,000,000. http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...ettlement.html
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by steven975
The thing that gets me is that this kind of stuff can be the result when corporate cronies and governments mix.

Maybe Hyundai futzed the tests...and if they did shame on them. But, I bet it is possible to get 40mpg in the covered models...just probably not in the "standard" EPA tests.

I'd bet there's others that futzed the tests that much and maybe more, but for some reason the US government goes after the Koreans.

I have 2 cars. On my S2K I get better mpg consistently than both numbers. In my MS3 I get better city MPG than I do the highway sticker. I'm pretty sure I could coax 40mpg out of those if I get a tank to learn the right technique.
I don't think the US gov't is singling out the Korean automakers. There's been something of a corporate culture of disregard for the law and ethics at Kia and Hyundai over the years. Just two examples:
http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...ay-be-indicted
http://www.autoblog.com/2004/06/22/h...power-lawsuit/
Old 11-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a '11 Sonata turbo (not part of this settlement) that does not get the EPA numbers the way we normally drive (gets 9% less) but we have experimented and found if we use the ECON setting (I don't like it) and drive solely for mileage it will even beat the EPA numbers by one mpg. I have been pleased with Hyundai in the almost two years of ownership.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludedude
Originally Posted by rosario717' timestamp='1351950371' post='22127345
From my knowledge honda never had a lawsuit due to hybrid mpgs but I believe the toyota prius did but could be wrong..We did have an odometer issue about 4 years ago like someone stated above but that didnt cost any consumers money. All honda did was give an extended warranty to cover the difference of mileage and anyone that leased a car and went over mileage honda was covering upto about 5000 miles over their lease limits but thats all I know about
Your knowledge is lacking to the tune of $460,000,000. http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...ettlement.html

small error..
Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
Originally Posted by Ludedude' timestamp='1351959086' post='22127504
[quote name='rosario717' timestamp='1351950371' post='22127345']

small error..
[/quote]

It's a rounding error

Quick Reply: Kia and Hyundai to Reimburse Owners for False Efficiency Numbers