Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Koenigsegg Regera = No Transmission

Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Koenigsegg Regera = No Transmission

Very interesting technology. Has a really beefy Torque converter mated to the final drive differiental. Doesn't change gears, uses electric motors for reverse, and for power gap fills. Neat to see a car company with emphasis on performance use such technology.

I believe they have played with solenoid actuated valve technology too, which would provide on the fly tune-able valve timing. Also make hollow carbon fiber wheels that weight less than the tires on them. Crazy.

Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
freq (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper

Thoughts?
I don't know what it costs, but I think I can't afford one.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

He's a true genius and he is doing what other big-name manufacturers haven't. Elon Musk could only hope to have half the ingenuity this guy has. He has made it pay off and has high demand for his vehicles AND he makes a profit on them.

Of course, at his prices, you can do some pretty wild stuff. I believe his wheels are about $25k each! His latest hypercar is over $2M and they're all sold out even though they aren't in production yet.

Also, as you mentioned, he's looking to develop cam-less engines (Freevalve technology), which would be a huge step forward, if they're truly reliable and cost effective. Early reports are 47% more power and 45% more torque with 15% improvement in fuel economy and 35% reduction in emissions.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...tion-in-china/
Old 03-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
He's a true genius and he is doing what other big-name manufacturers haven't. Elon Musk could only hope to have half the ingenuity this guy has. He has made it pay off and has high demand for his vehicles AND he makes a profit on them.

I agree with you on those points, but it would be nice when some of the stuff like the actuated valves makes it into main stream cars. I am not a huge defender of Musk, but his ideas have at least filtered down to mass market cars. I think the valve technology will be sold to other manufacturers eventually and that is his intent, but if it is only in supercars, it is just vaporware to a pauper like myself.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

He's using the Freevalve engines in small Chinese vehicles first. He wants it to be mainstream and that's a great way to test them. Read the article I linked - it explains the testing numbers and where they're using them.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Lots of video stuff out on the Freevalve tech. He has had that working for a while and I am fairly sure he has it in some of his cars. I think the One to One has it if I recall correctly. And as mentioned he is developing it for small engines in other cars. Significantly more power and much smaller, lighter engines since there is no top rotating assembly and no timing set. . May have been before that. Its all on their youtube channel
Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I think I'd like to buy one. or two.
darcy
Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Both the Regera and the One:1 are amazing cars. At the rate I am saving I should be able to afford one after I die. lol
Old 03-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by engifineer
Both the Regera and the One:1 are amazing cars. At the rate I am saving I should be able to afford one after I die. lol
Don't forget the current top speed production car record holder, the Agera RS. Beautiful car and values are already up to $10 million.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:09 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by vader1
I agree with you on those points, but it would be nice when some of the stuff like the actuated valves makes it into main stream cars. I am not a huge defender of Musk, but his ideas have at least filtered down to mass market cars. I think the valve technology will be sold to other manufacturers eventually and that is his intent, but if it is only in supercars, it is just vaporware to a pauper like myself.
When he speaks, you can just see how Visionary he is. Even though I will never make enough to have one of his cars, I can hope the tech makes it into other cars one day I can own. I applaud his willingness and drive to think outside the box and have the guts to make that sort of tech production with his Cars and reputation on the line! It's pretty much amazing that his company makes almost 100% of the parts for the cars they make. Lights, electronics, brakes, engines, transmissions, Just about everything but the tires.

Speaking of the 1:One and the Agera RS wheels, the hollow carbon fiber wheels are lighter than the tires mounted on them. CRAZY!

Quick Reply: Koenigsegg Regera = No Transmission