Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lexus GX 460 pulled from market; Safety concerns

Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Apr 13 2010, 06:38 PM
The bad news for Toyota just won't stop. Negative press keeps accelerating and accelerating. Eh? Eh?
rofl

good try, good try
Old 04-14-2010, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cubs2k,Apr 13 2010, 07:53 PM
Did they perform this identical test with comparable SUVs?
sort of...

"Mr. Champion said electronic stability systems used on other Lexus and Toyota models have always worked quickly to stop slides, so the problem on the GX 460 was surprising. The new Toyota 4Runner, which uses the same basic architecture as the Lexus, was tested the same day and did not have the problem."
Old 04-14-2010, 02:14 AM

I understand why 'the warning' was issued but this is a stretch to say this would be a 'real world' type situation. It's unfortunate for the timing with the other negative press Toyota is getting. My parents were getting ready to pull the trigger on an RX hybrid and ended up going with another MDX because of the recent 'issues'.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubs2k,Apr 13 2010, 10:53 PM
"The particular test that concerned the magazine involves a turn that suddenly gets sharper. The driver enters at about 60 miles an hour and then, as if surprised, lifts off the gas. Ideally, the electronic stability control would stop a slide caused by that maneuver, allowing the vehicle to safely complete the turn."

"Mr. Champion said such a problem could happen in everyday driving. For example, a driver heading quickly through a turn — like a highway off-ramp — who finds the turn is sharper than expected would naturally lift off the gas, he said."

so...lift throtte oversteer.....I'm calling foul on CR.
They enter a decreasing radius exit ramp, under throttle at 60 MPH and lifting mid turn, in a tall, overweight SUV? I would never expect an ESP to bail me out of that situation..it doesn't matter how good the ESP system is when you are that far beyond the envelope..

Did they perform this identical test with comparable SUVs?
Read:

On dozens of other S.U.V.’s tested by the magazine, the electronic stability control system of the vehicles detected and quickly stopped the slide. But the stability control did not stop the GX 460 until it was almost sideways, Mr. Champion said.

A good ESP system does wonders for emergency situations or situations for startled drivers. I have tested the systems on a 300 foot polished wet cement skidpad and you would be amazed on what they can do and prevent when tuned properly.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by derryck,Apr 14 2010, 05:14 AM
I understand why 'the warning' was issued but this is a stretch to say this would be a 'real world' type situation. It's unfortunate for the timing with the other negative press Toyota is getting. My parents were getting ready to pull the trigger on an RX hybrid and ended up going with another MDX because of the recent 'issues'.
How many S2000 have been wrecked this way? It's real world and I have seen it many times right in front of me on group drives.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Exactly. If on two different GX460's the vehicle was basically sideways before the stability control reigned things back in, there is a definite problem.

I can't get more than 10 degrees of yaw on my Yukon before the stability control goes nuts, cuts power, and individually brakes each wheel to straighten things back out. Luckily, there is an off button.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derryck,Apr 14 2010, 05:14 AM
I understand why 'the warning' was issued but this is a stretch to say this would be a 'real world' type situation.
Nope, it's not at all a stretch. These things can and do happen. Further, if this situation can happen, no matter how unlikely, it should be remedied if possible and costs aren't high. Clearly, costs aren't that high considering other SUVs can prevent this. Similarly, it's not like this problem occurs on other SUVs. The ESC works on those cars. Probably a case of poor ESC programming on Toyota's part. No surprise given their recent history.

It is quite rare for CR to give out this warning. Toyota is doing the right thing by not taking it lightly. Regardless if it's worth investigating, you have to do something to show concern. It's on the NYT! That's a very big deal.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 AM

wow, Toyota is on a roll....

The CR test driver did a badass slide
Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I still don't understand why we have the builders worrying about making the drivers better drivers

Maybe we should fix the real problem of crappy ass drivers instead
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Apr 14 2010, 11:33 AM
I still don't understand why we have the builders worrying about making the drivers better drivers

Maybe we should fix the real problem of crappy ass drivers instead
Sorry, I gotta disagree with you here. Would you say that we should get rid of ABS, too? ESC is a safety device intended to protect drivers in emergency situation. Sure, sometimes it saves people that are just driving stupidly, but the intent is to save people that get caught in an unfortunate situation. Example: someone getting on a cloverleaf, and suddenly the traffic comes to a stop in front of them.

Unexpected situations arise all the time. If manufacturers can do more to protect drivers in such situations, then I think they should. Of course, there should always be an "Off" button, so we don't have these electronic nannies hindering us when we want to enjoy our vehicles on a track or off-road or whatever.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 pulled from market; Safety concerns