Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lexus SC 430 opinons and info wanted

Old 01-22-2002, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus SC 430 opinons and info wanted

Can I get some opinions and info on the Lexus?

My father is considering buying one this week ( He's an impulse buy kind of guy ). I don't know much about the car, besides what I've read in car mags and lexus brochures. Does anyone know of any plusses or minuses that are not normally covered in the car mags? Does anyone own one? Driven one? Know someone who owns one?

How about the looks? (let it fly here I want to hear the good and the bad.)

And finally does anyone know of a Toyota/Lexus board that I can ask some more specific questions on?

Thanks -- Tom
Old 01-22-2002, 05:45 AM

Give this a try.

lexusfan

I've never been on it, just used search.

--Greg
Old 01-22-2002, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go buy it without a doubt, the retractable hardtop is way cool!!!!
and with a 4.3L V8 pumping 300 HP......need I say more?

u never have to turn on the windshield wipers, cuz there's a rain sensor which controls the wipers speed depending on the amount of rain drops on ur windshield.

Ahhh......i love all Lexus cars......
Old 01-22-2002, 05:55 AM

I spent a few weeks driving the Lexus SC430. It is a fantastic automobile. With the top up, its as tight as a drum (and quiet). Top down, its a joy to be in (and be seen in). Performance is good, as well as the handling. It does not provide nearly as much spirited driving as, say, an S2000, though.

About the only downside that I found were the run-flat tires and storage space. The run-flat tires really gave the car an unpleasent ride on bumpy surfaces. The regular tires take care of that, but that means a spare tire eats up just about all of your trunk space. Oh yeah, and although it has four seats - the back seats are useless (unless you have string for legs).

In all though, the SC430 is a great great car. Your father will be happy.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:11 AM

Engineering seems incredible. The technology is outstanding. Convertible design and operation is flawless.

Too bad it is one of the ugliest cars ever to be introduced to our roads... My girlfriend and I cringe everytime we see one. And whose joke was it to put those wagon wheels on them ??

But it is a Lexus and sure to be a fantastic car.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love how it looks besides the disc wheels.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:48 AM

I will rather get XK8 convertible
or new SL500
Old 01-22-2002, 12:15 PM

Here's a good forum

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdispl....php?forumid=63

I'd pick this $61k car over the competition because of the Lexus reputation for quality and reliability.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:21 PM

Audi TT meets Mercedes SLK(experiment went bad). I for one believe that Lexus is nothing more than a marketing arm of Toyota and have never truly created an original design since the inception of the company going all the way back to the dreadful ES250.........

I don not like anything about it......
Old 01-22-2002, 02:43 PM

My step dad has one and loves it. (Disclaimer - this is my parent's fifth Lexus since 1989/1990 when the brand debuted and they will never own another brand of car).

I've driven the vehicle a few times. In a word, it's very smooth. It's quick, handles pretty good and drives like a dream. It's no where near as sporty as the S (but wasn't designed to be that way). The looks of the car certainly draw extremes from people. As much as I like the car, many others hate it. Fair is fair.

Owning a Lexus is like owning no other car in the world. The dealership bends over backwards to take care of you and make sure that you aren't just happy, but are ecstatic.

As far as the others recommending the Benz and/or the Jag, I say this. Unless you hate the styling of the Lexus, get real. Both cars are much, much more expensive. The Jag (while beautiful) is a piece of crap. Two of my parent's neighbors have had theirs (an XK8 and an XJR) taken back by Jag under the lemon law. Ford has done a great job getting the Jag up from old Jag quality (absolutely terrible) to Ford quality (fine for a $25K Taurus but unacceptable for a $90k car). The Benz is a fine car. The current one is a bit long in the tooth, IMO and way more expensive. The new SL will be much nicer (as it should for more than $100K). It's really not in the same league at that price point.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC 430 opinons and info wanted