Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

LF-A for $350-400K?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i know is i need to meet some of these people who buy these cars
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malloric,Nov 13 2009, 01:05 PM
Except, in this case its more like being told instead of buying your Armani suit you could go to Wal Mart and get a comparable suit for the same amount of money. The Wal Mart special may be great suit, $3,000 suits aren't what Wal Mart is known for and most of us would rather get the Armani, Brooks Brother, or what not, than a Wal Mart or JC Penny suit for the same price.
No, you're mixing metaphors. I was talking about LFA vs. ZR1 and GT-R, whereas you're talking about LFA vs. Ferrari and Lamborghini.

I agree that, given the choice between a Ferrari and a similarly fast Lexus, I'd take the Ferrari for a variety of reasons. I'm not the target buyer, though. I think you guys are underestimating how much money you have to have to afford a $350k car, and thus the mindset that buyers will have. I don't imagine it'll be an either / or for most of those people. If you already have five Ferraris and Porsches, would you buy a sixth, or try mixing things up a bit and buy a unique Lexus instead? I imagine Lexus will be able to find 500 people worldwide to try the latter option.

I wish I could find the article now, but I recall reading an article about one of the ultra high-end sedan makers (Rolls, Bentley, or Maybach, probably), which noted that the target buyer had a net worth deep into the eight figures. When you're worth tens of millions of dollars, you've already got a stable of cars -- this is extremely unlikely to be your first sports car purchase.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:54 AM

This thing will be a bigger flop than the McLaren SLR and that car had the name, performance to back it up for the same price as this Lexus.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Nov 13 2009, 02:05 PM
How many times do we have to repeat? People buying those don't have to worry at all how they should spend their $400k as it is such a small amount to them. And yes, there are a lot of rich people out there.

It's simply a car way beyond your price range, and Lexus doesn't need poor people worrying about them selling LF-A.

The Veyron sold out before they built the first one. There are plenty of people with insane amounts of money that don't need to justify anything. These cars are for them. Trying to think about them in any rational way whatsoever is pointless. Of course there's faster/cheaper/better looking/whatever ways to transport a human body around the face of the Earth. The whole point is they can afford to buy one without thinking, and most other people can't.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Malloric,Nov 13 2009, 12:05 PM
Except, in this case its more like being told instead of buying your Armani suit you could go to Wal Mart and get a comparable suit for the same amount of money. The Wal Mart special may be great suit, $3,000 suits aren't what Wal Mart is known for and most of us would rather get the Armani, Brooks Brother, or what not, than a Wal Mart or JC Penny suit for the same price.

I just don't see a Toyota ever eliciting the emotional response in me to justify buying one over a Ferrari California, Aston Martin, etc
that walmart/jcpenney analogy is off. the walmart/jcpenny of cars would be KIA. Lexus on the otherhand would be Bloomingdales or Nordstroms, Toyota would be equivalent to Macy's and Ferrari would be Armani.

if all i read about getting the car is true then you won't be able to get the LFA at your local Lexus dealer. there's a screening process everyone knows about so not every multi-gazillionare will be able to get the car. delivery of the car may take place at a regional headquarters and the owner will have one recommended local dealer that will have a technician that's selected and trained by toyota corp to service the car at home or at the dealer. another rumour has it where Lexus corp. will have a travelling service bay per region (12).

also, there will be red carpets, paparrazi and food will be served by wolfgang puck for your 100 closest friends. peter jackson will direct the video of the owner taking delivery of the car.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 PM

I think there are plenty of buyers who will stretch into a Ferrari or Aston but, um, none who will strain their finances to own this car. I understand the idea of a halo car but Lexus should have made a Maybach killer instead.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 PM

i would rather have the LFA than a ferrari. it represents the pinnacle of japanese engineering. i would be willing to bet the fit and finish of this car will be 10x better than a lambo or ferrari.

but then again, i dont like european cars at all...
Old 11-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just don't know why people try to put themselves in the shoes of riches. It doesn't work. When you have too much $, you'd be using your spare $ for LF-A. Of course there are people who are passionate about it, and there are who simply can just afford it as a collection.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Nov 13 2009, 10:52 AM
All the car mags this month are full of first drive impressions of the Lexus LF-A. I read them all, looked at all the pictures... I'm not feelin' it.

The body is fine for an $80,000 car. The performance is fine for a $100,000 car. But for $400K, I'll test drive a GT-R, a ZR-1 and a 911 Turbo, buy my favorite, and put the rest of the money in the market. The only intelligent part of this product is that they are only making 500 of them. Frankly, I'm surprised there are that many people with $350 to $400K to spend on a toy who would rather buy this thing than a Ferrari.

Your opinion may differ.
if your opinion is valid, then everyone would tell time by their cell phones. My cell phone automatically connects to the mothership (probably is an atomic clock) and download the time down to the exact second.
the next best is a Casio watch. 28 functions for 50 bucks.

There's no need for Patek, Rolex, Tag, Omega, etc...

people who buy LFA already has 7 Ferrari's in their garage - one for each day of the week. They don't need an 8th.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=TRDLiquidSilver,Nov 13 2009, 03:51 PM] they're saying to prevent people from buying and reselling for profit

Quick Reply: LF-A for $350-400K?