Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lift in Garage - Any Advice?

Old 08-16-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamafan
Any garage door company can modify your tracks to go up to and run along the ceiling. If your ceiling is high enough, it will mostly sit in the front wall above the door opening. You will want a jack shaft opener. There aren’t a lot of options; most use the Liftmaster 8500.
Having a garage door company come by my house this week. They are a Liftmaster reseller as well. Sucks as I just replace my garage door motor 2 years ago... Figures.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:54 AM

I found out that I have 12' ceiling in the garage; not 14'. Seems so high up I just thought it was 14'. Waiting for an electrician to install an outlet for the side mounted garage motor.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Not to go off topic, but has anyone looked into an in ground scissor lift? Something like this?

I've been thinking about one of these and I like that it's unobtrusive when down, whereas a 2 post normal lift takes up quite a bit of space.. A friend has one at his shop and he has no complaints..
Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Not to go off topic, but has anyone looked into an in ground scissor lift? Something like this?

I've been thinking about one of these and I like that it's unobtrusive when down, whereas a 2 post normal lift takes up quite a bit of space.. A friend has one at his shop and he has no complaints..
Seems like QuickJacks are the ones most go to: https://www.quickjack.com/
Old 08-23-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Seems like QuickJacks are the ones most go to: https://www.quickjack.com/
Ya I know quickjacks are popular but I'm talking about an actual lift rather than something like a quickjack. The one I referenced are used commercially and a replacement for 2 post lifts.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Ya I know quickjacks are popular but I'm talking about an actual lift rather than something like a quickjack. The one I referenced are used commercially and a replacement for 2 post lifts.
You really want to dig out the concrete for that?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

I would think it depends on what type of work you mainly want to do. Sure scissor lifts take up less room, especially this one that flushes up with the floor, however the downside is the limit in travel as well as how much of the underside of the car the scissor lift blocks. If you are mainly doing suspension work or taking wheels on and off, a scissor lift might work best. But if you are doing things like dropping engines and subframes from underneath the car, then a scissor lift will be a hindrance at best. It is not adjustable front to back or side to side for different sized vehicles and won't allow you to walk upright underneath the car either.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
You really want to dig out the concrete for that?
I don't "want" to dig out concrete but it's more of a must. Considering I can't fit a standard 2 post lift, it's not a bad option.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
I would think it depends on what type of work you mainly want to do. Sure scissor lifts take up less room, especially this one that flushes up with the floor, however the downside is the limit in travel as well as how much of the underside of the car the scissor lift blocks. If you are mainly doing suspension work or taking wheels on and off, a scissor lift might work best. But if you are doing things like dropping engines and subframes from underneath the car, then a scissor lift will be a hindrance at best. It is not adjustable front to back or side to side for different sized vehicles and won't allow you to walk upright underneath the car either.
For sure, it all depends. The "trick" is spacing the two sides correctly so that you can lift cars and not have the sides protruding under the car. It doesn't restrict under car access much at all. You can walk underneath the car easily, just not from the side obviously. I don't think dropping the engine/tranny would be a problem at all (on the one I saw and walked under). The thing that I really like about these is their compact size when not in use. In home 2 car garages a 2 post lift will either be close to a wall or in the middle of the 2 car garage, and be a hinderance either way when parking 2 cars. These are virtually invisible when not in use. If you look at the jack points there's plenty of room underneath the car.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

For sure, it all depends. The "trick" is spacing the two sides correctly so that you can lift cars and not have the sides protruding under the car. It doesn't restrict under car access much at all. You can walk underneath the car easily, just not from the side obviously. I don't think dropping the engine/tranny would be a problem at all (on the one I saw and walked under). The thing that I really like about these is their compact size when not in use. In home 2 car garages a 2 post lift will either be close to a wall or in the middle of the 2 car garage, and be a hinderance either way when parking 2 cars. These are virtually invisible when not in use. If you look at the jack points there's plenty of room underneath the car.

wow nice, i didn't know they could go that high. that's definitely a great option then.

Quick Reply: Lift in Garage - Any Advice?