Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Logical upgrade from my S2000?

Old 05-15-2015, 06:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get out of this mindset of needing to "wrench" on any sports car you choose to buy. On a Civic or an S2000, sure why not? However the higher you go up the sports car food chain, the less necessary it becomes (the cars are better to begin with), and the more expensive/difficult it becomes. Aside from the basic stuff such as wheels/tires/brakes, I'm perfectly happy with leaving the engine alone in a high end sports car.

While your considering an NSX, take a hard look at an 09-12 Cayman S. These go for $40-$50k and will give the NSX a run for it's money. Being a newer car, it will also not be hindered by many of the wear and tear issues an older NSX will.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

the NSX isn't more car. Performance is about the same on the track and the interior very dated.

The realities is you're going to need to spend a lot more money to get the performance you want. My S2k replacement will be a gen 5 viper.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NSX looks dated? 25 year old car, I would assume so...

Get the NSX if it is your dream. Don't expect performance with the NSX. S2000 is more fun in the canyons. NSX steering is not as sharp as the S2000. You get the NSX because it is your dream car not because you want to break track records (Ironic because fastest BW time set by Billy Johnson NSX). However, it is still a fun car and most people who owns the car loves it more by the year. You can always sell it without losing much money.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Porsche Cayman or Lotus Evora are the closest cars on the market to the NSX in your price range.
Can an Evora really be had for under $40k? I thought they were closer to 60-80k right now, but didn't think they would depreciate that much in 2-3 years.

Originally Posted by matthugie
If you want to wrench on the car stay away from Porsche. Just look under the engine cover you'll see how little access there is to anything.

The E46 M3 is a fantastic car and worth legitimately looking into. It is fun to drive, has a huge aftermarket following, and is definitely a different experience than the S. Now, it may depend on your location, but I rarely see e46 M3's on the road and even fewer clean ones. If you have a well maintained and taken care of car with some clean mods it will stand out for sure. This brings us to value, and though values have been dropping they have pretty close to bottomed out. The e36 M3 has started going up in value which has created a floor for the e46, so you don't really have to worry about the car depreciating much more than it already has. Also, historically the M3 has a value cycle where it starts to appreciate when it gets to be about 20 years old. Now, no M3 is going to do what the e30 M3 has done value-wise, but in 5-6 years I expect a clean, relatively low mileage e46 M3 will probably be worth more than at present.
I'll definitely have to go test drive an E46 before I make my decision. Though I doubt I will like it more than the NSX, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
I'd get out of this mindset of needing to "wrench" on any sports car you choose to buy. On a Civic or an S2000, sure why not? However the higher you go up the sports car food chain, the less necessary it becomes (the cars are better to begin with), and the more expensive/difficult it becomes. Aside from the basic stuff such as wheels/tires/brakes, I'm perfectly happy with leaving the engine alone in a high end sports car.

While your considering an NSX, take a hard look at an 09-12 Cayman S. These go for $40-$50k and will give the NSX a run for it's money. Being a newer car, it will also not be hindered by many of the wear and tear issues an older NSX will.
Besides learning more about cars, another big reason I want to wrench on my own is cost. I have access to a fairly cheap hourly DIY shop with hydraulic lifts and a full range of tools, and it's definitely helped me save some labor costs on my S2000.

Originally Posted by rob-2
the NSX isn't more car. Performance is about the same on the track and the interior very dated.

The realities is you're going to need to spend a lot more money to get the performance you want. My S2k replacement will be a gen 5 viper.
I personally love the NSX interior. I think it has aged fairly well, like the exterior. Very minimalist and elegant.

I'm not looking for a 500+ hp track monster. I just want something that will be a step up from the S2000 in terms of laptimes, but still retain a lot of its feel.

Originally Posted by HGL1668
NSX looks dated? 25 year old car, I would assume so...

Get the NSX if it is your dream. Don't expect performance with the NSX. S2000 is more fun in the canyons. NSX steering is not as sharp as the S2000. You get the NSX because it is your dream car not because you want to break track records (Ironic because fastest BW time set by Billy Johnson NSX). However, it is still a fun car and most people who owns the car loves it more by the year. You can always sell it without losing much money.
Canyons aren't as important as track for me. Track records are also irrelevant. I just want a car that's enjoyable to drive at the limit and will keep me passionate for many years.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would get an 09+ Cayman S or a 997.1 C2S or 2009+ E92 M3 for 40K or less. NSX is an old turd compared to these 2 cars. You only buy a NSX if you really want a NSX because you like it.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What about a Lotus Elise? Never really put much thought into it before. I'm not a Lotus expert but the SC version making over 200hp sounds like a blast, if it's possible to get one for under $40k.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Lotus Evora would be my first suggestion. Toyota engine, mid-engine design, good looks, rare, great sound, easy to work on (overall) and while build quality was originally a bit sketchy, they do seem to have gotten better.

987.2 Cayman/Boxster S would tick all the right boxes as well. The newer engine (2009+ models) is more reliable than earlier models. The 981 model (2012+) is even better, overall, but is quite a bit pricier.

BMW Z4 M coupe is an alternate suggestion (and my current car). Way more power and torque (comparable power to a nicely supercharged S2000 but still way more torque), somewhat heavier, more refined, more balanced (but less agile), worse shifter, way nicer interior and amenities, and quite rare. I raced an E92 M3 today and stayed with him from a 10mph roll. I'm neck-and-neck with the same car around our local track (me on old Continentals, him on Pilot Super Sports), so it's relatively quick, all things considered.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big z4m coupe fan as well.

Though a bit partial to the older, clown shoe version.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Lotus Evora would be my first suggestion. Toyota engine, mid-engine design, good looks, rare, great sound, easy to work on (overall) and while build quality was originally a bit sketchy, they do seem to have gotten better.
unfortunately the Evoras that are near the $40k price range are not worth buying IMO. The build quality for those years are pretty bad, their slow, & their clutches are very expensive to replace. There not that easy to work on, better than the elise/exige but still not easy.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zygrene
2) Exclusivity - I want it to look and feel special even before starting the engine
For 10 years I have felt the S2000 looks and feels special before even putting my finger to the start button. Maybe that is just me.

Quick Reply: Logical upgrade from my S2000?