Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Logical upgrade from my S2000?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just test drove a new 2014 base Cayman with PDK a few hours ago. They didn't have a manual and the salesman told me maybe 2% of Porsches sold there are manual. That was both surprising and depressing to hear.

The car itself felt great. I love the engine, even though it's only got 275hp. Loves to rev but still has reasonable low end torque. Suspension (non-PASM) felt very planted but still compliant over road imperfections. PDK was also super quick and responsive, but irrelevant as I'd go for a manual. Steering in sport mode felt artificially heavy and lacked feel. Big problem with the car is the price. It was a 1-year old car with almost 300 miles of test drives, and with only 3 years left on the 4 year warranty, they dropped 10k off the sticker price bringing it to $56k. That is simply too much money for a 275hp sports car with a pretty basic interior (included $4k infotainment system) and exterior. Maybe I'd pay that much for a base manual Cayman S with full warranty, just maybe.

Anyway, I'll have to retest the car once I can find an S model with manual to decide how I really feel about the car. If the price drops significantly in 2-3 years it could be high on my list.

Now to find a Z4 M, E46 M3, C7, and another NSX to test drive!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:23 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Zygrene
I just test drove a new 2014 base Cayman with PDK a few hours ago. They didn't have a manual and the salesman told me maybe 2% of Porsches sold there are manual. That was both surprising and depressing to hear.

...That is simply too much money for a 275hp sports car with a pretty basic interior (included $4k infotainment system) and exterior. Maybe I'd pay that much for a base manual Cayman S with full warranty, just maybe.

Good luck buying a new Cayman S for 56K... Why not just order a low optioned new Cayman S and lease it? Porsche leases when they run factory programs are really competitive. Buy out prices and the end of a walk away lease are fantastic. My buddy who's leasing a new Cayman S will most likely make money selling his car if he keeps it after the lease. I don't believe he intends to keep it, despite the low miles it will have.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about a Lotus Elise? Never really put much thought into it before. I'm not a Lotus expert but the SC version making over 200hp sounds like a blast, if it's possible to get one for under $40k.
I would go with the Lotus Elise. They can be had for $30k+, depending on miles, color, condition, etc.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

09+ Cayman is also my suggestion. It will be a far greater value than the NSX. However, I would not feel comfortable tracking a leased vehicle, so I have trouble recommending that route to you.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari812
09+ Cayman is also my suggestion. It will be a far greater value than the NSX. However, I would not feel comfortable tracking a leased vehicle, so I have trouble recommending that route to you.
What do you mean by greater value?

Also, I wouldn't be leasing a new car. I would be looking to purchase a used model in a few years.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Also, I wouldn't be leasing a new car. I would be looking to purchase a used model in a few years.
I thought the point of this thread is your buying a car now; not in a few years?

Local Porsche dealer is offering a new Cayman for $669 a month (30 months) with 9K down. That's not a bad deal for a new car MSRP around 65K from Porsche Financial. Complete that lease and you can move into the next with like nothing down or own Cayman you leased for cheap. You can get track day insurance if you are worried about a leased car on the track.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari812
Agreed that the Cayman is a great logical transition from the s2000...but the NSX without question will hold it's value better. I guess we need to define what you mean by "greater value."
Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Zygrene' timestamp='1431805316' post='23615120
I thought the point of this thread is your buying a car now; not in a few years?

Local Porsche dealer is offering a new Cayman for $669 a month (30 months) with 9K down. That's not a bad deal for a new car MSRP around 65K from Porsche Financial. Complete that lease and you can move into the next with like nothing down or own Cayman you leased for cheap. You can get track day insurance if you are worried about a leased car on the track.
Track day insurance isn't as easy as it would seem. The two players have to approve the event which means lots of hoops for the event organizer.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go for the NSX, just because you want it. If you don't, you will eventually, as you just did

Now about the NSX, I don't own one, but a good buddy of mine did as well as an AP1. His NA1 was bone stock and showroom clean. He just sold it after 6 years of ownership for more than he paid for.
To what he told me, yes the car feel pretty special, even more here in western europe (i may have seen 3 in my entire life!). But it's not really faster than a S2000. The engine is more torquy and the car is a great cruiser but is not as nimble or go kart feel as the S. You have to give it more respect. It's just different.
Now if you want the NSX to keep its value you surely want to keep it stock. I would love to trash that sort of car on the track, and you should, but keep that in mind. It's also possible that part cost are much higher than a S2000, it's kind of a supercar, you know

Now about the E46 M3, i rode shotgun for 4 laps on track, with a good driver behind the wheel. The car had a CSL airbox (glorious noise!), some coilovers (BC AFAIR), and upgraded pads and tires. Dam I was blown away! The engine is rev happy and the CSL airbox made it sing. The car really push you in your seat and from the passenger one, felt more nimble than i would expect to. Really felt like a bigger S with 4 sits. Sure it's not much of a drama comparing to the hondas, and there are some reliability issues.

If you were not impress by the cayman, and it's too expensive, i would look away. Those are a pain to work on, and event if you do, it would kill the resell ability on this kind of thing. Just for you to know, here Porsche dealer bill you 500 euros, just to remove the cover to access the engine. You've been warned !

happy hunting
Old 05-18-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From reading your posts, Cayman will not satisfy you and you will need at least a GT3, a GT4, or 993 C2S, because I was on the same boat. I wanted something more special. Special to me means S2000 is special but not a Cayman. They are out of your price range so get the NSX. Sell the NSX in two years if you don't like it. I have to warn you though or I assume you already know, that finding a NSX you like will take some time but that is part of the fun. I suggest an almost stock 91-94 because they are coupe, it is going to cost you at least 35k for a good condition and then maybe 5-7k to the way you like it. But do test drive some 2002+ just to get a feel of the newer car. It is almost like AP1 to AP2 so to speak. It is a little more refine and less gutted.

NSX is slow but not really a pig that many people associate with. Fact is that cayman 275hp is only 5 more hp than a NA1 NSX . I have a 92, no power steering, no ABS, w/ JRZ coils, jun fly, NSX-r tranny; It drives quite raw. The cockpit, visibility, and the way you contour in the seat, makes me feel special. 2 cts

Quick Reply: Logical upgrade from my S2000?