Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

look what i stumbled on .. (saturn sky forum)

Old 07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the Sky looks nice. The top is a b!tch to put up, though. Saw a poor guy trying to figure out how to put the top up while getting rained on. D'ffrent strokes for d'ffrent strokes... "Whatcha talkin' about Willis?!"

That's like people saying an Evo is superior to a base 911 or a Z06 to a 430 modena... maybe it is, maybe it isn't....
Old 07-23-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also do like the looks of the Sky and Soltice but both are underpowered for now. The Soltice is soon to get a factory option blower which will put it in direct compitition with the S. Problem- Insurance companies are not going to like this option, Problem 2-Does anyone believe that GM is not going to have QC problems with this car?
I think if I were determined to buy one, I'd wait a year or two or three.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TKim103,Jul 22 2006, 03:08 PM
I saw this thread and I had to add my .02 cents.

People say that the S2000 is overpriced and lacks power compared to a Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice (REDLINE or whatever high performance version comes out), but who has the overall better package?

The S2000, in my opinion, has a far superior engine, superior suspension, and the soul of Honda's racing heritage everytime you pass 6200 rpms. Will the Sky/Solstice give you that same sense of placebo effect? If you know anything about cars or a true enthusiast about racing, then the answer is no.

I don't know about you, but I don't buy a car based on "look" or "attention whore" characteristics. I buy a car to see which gives me the biggest grin and satisfaction.
And just like the other guy... it is your opinion. He doesnt care what you think or what we think.. he bought the sky for a reason.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

vastly superior

is that a joke? seriously..

just so you know, the redline isn't going to be a 'bargain' with a tag above 27k. I'd spend an extra 3 for a new S any day of the week.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about vastly superior, I don't know if it will be superior at all, but you're looking at a 260 hp roadster for about $27k sticker. Most of the new S2ks that I've seen are stickering around $35k. So that's $8k diff. In this price range, that's a significant step up.

I think the Honda is more practical for several reasons and I like its looks better. It will be interesting to see how close the performance is.

So if one could buy the Sky for roughly $27 and put $8 in one's pocket and have similar performance, one might be willing to put up with the funky top and the small trunk. I don't see how you could call that a big mistake. To me that falls into the realm rational informed choice.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can't find an S2K for 30-32k, you're not looking hard enough.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:57 AM

I will bet that a Redline will cost every bit of $32K when the dealers start adding their "Market Adjustments", etc. They don't care. People can buy a Solstice or standard Sky if they don't want to fork over more dough, but people are nuts if they think these vehicles will be available for SRP... at least anytime soon.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:22 AM

This guy literally is stupid
(spelling owns me)
Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 AM

Saw my first Sky yesterday, very sexy car, kills the Solstice. Still prefer the S2K but GM did a very good job overall. I love the Opel look.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Jul 25 2006, 07:31 AM
Saw my first Sky yesterday, very sexy car, kills the Solstice. Still prefer the S2K but GM did a very good job overall. I love the Opel look.
100%.

And an $8k difference will not exist. I sincerly doubt that anyone who can actually negotiate their way out of a paper bag has paid $35k for an S2k in the last year. $32k is a conservative yet still fairly high figure, if you want to go to the mattresses you can get a new one for ballpark $30k. I don't want to guestimate what the Redline version(s) will MSRP for and I REALLY don't want to guestimate what they will actually sell for, but at least have one of those comparison variables correct.

Quick Reply: look what i stumbled on .. (saturn sky forum)