Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

look what i stumbled on .. (saturn sky forum)

Old 07-27-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait till he wants to take a trip in his "vastly superior" Sky.
What does it have .2 cubic ft luggage space with the top down?
Thats when it becomes more than looks.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:07 AM

Not a fan. I would run from the GXP/Redline like it was the plague (although I do think the Sky is a nice looking car). I still believe the GM has tons to prove in terms of reliability and built quality. My roommate has a C6 and while its much better quality than its predecessor, its still much farther than my S. The recall for the magically flying off T top was not supposed to affect his car, but the roof after 3k miles creaks like a piece of old wood and he is now working with Chevy to get it fixed..

I'm sure the GXP will be a quick car, but factor in build quality (even if it was built as well as a C6) and maintenance, and well.. you know.. IMO.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:28 AM

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80987

Looks like Automobile Magazine has the Redline at 0-60 in 5.7.

The Car and Driver article on the regular Sky said they couldn't duplicate the Solstice's 0-60 of 6.7 seconds, instead getting a time of 7.3 seconds.

If the Sky loses a step to the Solstice, it shouldn't be faster than the s2000.

Still, I think its a driver's race in speed and even in handling, but I got my s2000 because of reliability, safety, fun, usable trunk space, and the great lease deal.

If GM can fix the trunk and improve reliability and safety, it will be a great car.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 AM

I don't care what anybody thinks, I wouldn't buy a car from "General Mayhem" if they sold it for $5000 dollars. I have seen the solstice on the road and it looks like a kit car over a fiero chasis. I'm sure the sky is in the same realm. You can keep your biodegrable plastic saturns as golf carts at old folks communities if you wish. I will gladly pay $35 or 40k for the s2000. My only gripe with the s2000 is the damn fisher price kiddie radio. Don't even get me started on the Domestic vs Import thing. Especially after some Klan member started cursing me out and tried to ram me off the road in "MIAMI" of all places. I think this inbred moonshine sipping hillbilly came down from the mountains of tennessee, drunk off moonshine and high on meth. So that he can spew his racial slurs at us spics and niggers driving supped up miatas. He was so lucky I didn't have a gun in the car with me. I didn't do a thing to this moron and he starts cursing my friend and I out at the light because were in the s2000. Than he tries to cut us off and ram us off the road. All the while cursing "get that shit out of the way BOY!"
Old 07-27-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by DJRobNM,Jul 27 2006, 11:28 AM
If GM can fix the trunk and improve reliability and safety, it will be a great car.
Please elaborate on known safety and reliability issues. The trunk issue is well, almost funny.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:12 AM

^Didn't you hear that people who have test driven these cars have been know to EXPLODE in laughter?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM

I guess I mean, prove instead of improve on these particular cars.

Then again, go to

http://www.iihs.org/default.html

or

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

and start clicking through various Pontiacs and Saturns.

Then do the same for Hondas and you'll see some differences.

Plus, the roll bars or lack thereof kinda scares me also.

In my s2000 the roll bars are almost 2" above the top of the seat whereas in the Solstice the "head humps" look like they are below the seats.

Having been upside down in my old s2000, I can tell you that they definitely do the job.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mulder ATO,Jul 20 2006, 07:39 PM
I think I have finally figured out how to put it in words........

A person who wants a real sports car wouldn't buy a Solstice or Sky.
Interesting comment about the car that is crushing the 1999 Miata in both the SSB and C Stock classes of SCCA racing.

I guess that means the 1999 Miata is not a real sports car either?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 PM

I can't wait until the GXP goes up against the S2000 in A-stock. There is nothing I can say about the car's handling until we FINALLY see some reviews of this car in magazines, but all of you who think the Solstice's suspension or handling traits are inferior to the S2000 are due for a lesson in the near future.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=jimbogxp,Aug 3 2006, 02:15 AM] I can't wait until the GXP goes up against the S2000 in A-stock.

Quick Reply: look what i stumbled on .. (saturn sky forum)