Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking into C6 Z06

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking into C6 Z06

Really itching for a high output performance car and the z06 caught my eye - they can be had under 40k with low mileage; so far from what i've gathered;

If you have experience with owning one or have any suggestions feel free to pitch in!

-Exhaust valve dropping on a small % of cars ranging from 2006-2011 => 12-16k repair bill for a new engine + $ for anything it takes along with it.
-clutch fluid contaminated after hard driving (needing constant flushing)

Old 07-30-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

No experience owning one, but what are your thoughts on the Z06 vs a GS?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be following this thread as well thinking of buying a z06 in the next year or so...
Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

C6 z06's are excellent cars, but have you considered a c5 z06 as well? If you are looking for something a little more refined (subjective) that can be a great daily (even more subjective), the c6 is great. But if you haven't done so, try out a c5 z06 as there is a very raw and connected feeling about the driving experience in one. Not to mention much cheaper... If keys to a c6z and a c5z were dangling in front of me, I would have to think about it. There is nothing wrong with either but on the vette forums I have read countless stories of people "upgrading" to the c6 from a c5 and going back to a c5. Especially with the FRC body of the c5's... to me FRC c5's look better than most c6's.

If you really would like some great information from an extremely knowledgeable person with an engineering background, look up ZentRose on youtube. He has some excellent financial/investment videos, but what really hooked me is that he has a lot of videos about s2000's, c6's, etc. He has one video in particular discussing the s2000 vs a base c6... he tracked both. It's not one of those "review" videos thats everywhere on youtube, it really is informative and there's a lot to learn. Check out his s2000 and corvette videos because I was in your shoes as well and his videos shed a lot of light on what i need to look into, maintenance, future problems, known problems, etc etc and he compared the two cars a lot.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:01 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I have chimed in on this forum several times singing the praises of the C6Z, even now that I "upgraded" to a C7Z.

You need to install a remote clutch bleeder valve, but it is pretty much impossible to do with the car intact. The heads issue is real. You can have them checked for a couple hundred bucks if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself. When the time comes, upgrade the valve train, port the heads, and add a decent cam... you will stomp on just about everything.

I miss mine and want another
Old 07-30-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The car looks amazing from the outside, the engine is a gem, it is available with a manual only, and it is capable of incredible sound and speed (not to mention the carbon fiber wings and the balsa wood).
The interior is just awful. Awful. And im not just talking about how it looks, but the actual build quality of the interior. C5Z is even worse. For around 40k that interior is still terrible.

Unless this car is going to the track a lot, i wouldn't do it.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I prefer the styling of the C6 to the current C7. I had the pleasure of driving one a few weeks ago and i loved it. The one american car i'd love to own.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I have chimed in on this forum several times singing the praises of the C6Z, even now that I "upgraded" to a C7Z.

You need to install a remote clutch bleeder valve, but it is pretty much impossible to do with the car intact. The heads issue is real. You can have them checked for a couple hundred bucks if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself. When the time comes, upgrade the valve train, port the heads, and add a decent cam... you will stomp on just about everything.

I miss mine and want another
Can you expound a bit on the valve issue; how widespread is it really?

How cheaply can it be remedied (paying for labor and parts), does the fix last long term or is it a constant maintenance item?

& from what I understand the grandsport is just a base LS3 with a body kit and big brakes, so not worth the money imo.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread came up at thw right time. My dad has been looking at a c6 z06. We test drove a MY 06 with only 17k on the odo. Dealer wanted 40k
Old 07-31-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
& from what I understand the grandsport is just a base LS3 with a body kit and big brakes, so not worth the money imo.
From what I know, the GS has the Z06 body (which looks better than a base C6), and better brakes and suspension components, but also the ability to take the roof off, better sound deadening, and "they say" is the best of both worlds between a daily-driver and a track machine, for a ~70 hp difference.

If I was primarily buying a vette for track driving, I'd go Z06. Otherwise, GS, and that seems to be what vette owners have also told me, so I was curious why you are angling toward one over the other. I also think having a glass/removable top (or convertible) is a nice feature, which not everyone wants..

In either case, the C6 was the first Corvette I considered worth my time. C5s are terribad inside, and unless price is an issue, a C6 GS is as fast as a C5 Z06, but better to drive. If you go for a C6 Z06, it will be a hoot to own.

Quick Reply: Looking into C6 Z06