Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

looking for a new car

Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drive an AP1 and AP2; drive both pretty hard. You'll know whether the handling/responsiveness/gearbox is worth the small amount of space and "harsh" ride (legitimately harsh when on stiff sidewall tires). My buddy has a new GTI with a few good performance mods. There is no comparison driving dynamics wise. His interior is very nice and the ride quality is better than my AP2 (may be at least partially tire related). A c5 vette is just a totally different beast even though the performance is similar. The shifter and steering feel combined with the variance in visibility makes it feel like the cars couldn't be more dissimilar (I like both FWIW and drove a mellinium yellow C5 for a few months when it was almost brand new, beat the hell out of it and it never complained).

A couple years ago during the recession s2000's were cheap IMO. Now it seems clean, lower mileage AP2's are all going for the high teens or greater. I remember when you could pick up a clean 2006+ with <50k miles for 16-17k. Those cars go for close to 20k now although there are certainly a few exceptions (please don't list what you paid for your car to prove me wrong, I just bought an AP2 cheap myself. KBB for my 04 with 36k miles was 21 grand!).

I think a great condition lower miles AP1 for ~12k is one of the best buys out there. It'll probably be worth 10k even when it has 99k miles on it several years from now.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
Originally Posted by druidirvin' timestamp='1352163304' post='22131742
[quote name='fusionchickenleg' timestamp='1352114220' post='22129970']
look up your nearest carmax locations and drive both cars, that's always the best answer to these types of threads.

the 2 cars cannot be more different - i will tell you i'm a power type of guy (i'm driving a modded ls3 vette now and had a few Evos/Sti) but the s2000's car to driver/car to road connection made me not give a crap. sure it's "slow" even when the f20c is screaming its lungs off at 9000rpm but holy crap what an experience driving that car is, especially with the top down while carving canyon roads.

the r32 has one of the best exhaust notes around but personally it did nothing for me when i drove it a few years ago. YMMV; drive both cars!
yeah the exhaust is the best out there so far for me. i can get one of tose r32 with hpa fi with 50k miles for around 19k and making around 400+ hp but what do you think about it? and but i disagree about the s2k being low w/o any fi, and the point you are trying to make is that i should try off the s2k or if not buy a vette ls3? thanks

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
R32 sure sounds awesome but is a world apart from an S2000. Personally, I am not a VW or Audi fan and neither I would put it the reliable group. The S2000 I would.

How old can you go back? Are you taking an auto loan? If so, I think that is generally 5 model years.

How about a Z4?
damn the z4 is nice man but for how much are they? but inst the s2k is much better than the z4 in performnce field? thanks

Sorry, my point was that the s2000 does not need the power of my past/present cars (modded Evos/Stis/Vette) to be extremely fun.

Did you have a chance to drive both cars yet?

I also have a Z4M and it's an awesome car though the s2000 is much more tossable and nimble, I don't think I would take a z4 over an s2000 due to the fun factor of the latter.
[/quote]

i was looking for my closest carmax center and is far as hell haha but i will save up a little bit more i made up my mind. i am going for a c6 regular corvette. i didnt know that the c6 could be around 22k with low miles so hopefully i have one of those in 1 year ;P

Originally Posted by sahtt
Test drive an AP1 and AP2; drive both pretty hard. You'll know whether the handling/responsiveness/gearbox is worth the small amount of space and "harsh" ride (legitimately harsh when on stiff sidewall tires). My buddy has a new GTI with a few good performance mods. There is no comparison driving dynamics wise. His interior is very nice and the ride quality is better than my AP2 (may be at least partially tire related). A c5 vette is just a totally different beast even though the performance is similar. The shifter and steering feel combined with the variance in visibility makes it feel like the cars couldn't be more dissimilar (I like both FWIW and drove a mellinium yellow C5 for a few months when it was almost brand new, beat the hell out of it and it never complained).

A couple years ago during the recession s2000's were cheap IMO. Now it seems clean, lower mileage AP2's are all going for the high teens or greater. I remember when you could pick up a clean 2006+ with <50k miles for 16-17k. Those cars go for close to 20k now although there are certainly a few exceptions (please don't list what you paid for your car to prove me wrong, I just bought an AP2 cheap myself. KBB for my 04 with 36k miles was 21 grand!).

I think a great condition lower miles AP1 for ~12k is one of the best buys out there. It'll probably be worth 10k even when it has 99k miles on it several years from now.
yeah s2k's are really expensive and i guess the prices will go up in this few coming months because of the income tax :S imma try them both as well as an c6 corvette . i will find an asnwer there ;P
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM

G35/37, can be had in either sedan or coupe, auto or 6MT. sports trim is the one to have

good car with a strong motor