Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking at potential daily drivers

Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking at potential daily drivers

Good morning S2k fam,

As Maryland salt crews continue to dump absurd amounts of salt onto the roads for absolutely no reason , I'm researching potential cars to purchase in the next year or so (could be sooner, could be later) to serve as my daily driver in rain/adverse conditions.

Situation:
My S2k is currently garaged (thankfully) and I'm fortunate enough to drive my parents 2004 Jeep Cherokee (on its way out) in the winter months as I continue to house shop. However, when I purchase a house in the next few months, I'll need a daily driver to drive in the rain or other adverse conditions that Maryland faces yearly. The two vehicles I'm currently considering are the:
1. Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab - Average gas mileage, reliable, cheap to insure, handles adverse conditions, room for multiple passengers, will be beneficial for future house projects
2. Subaru Imprezza WRX - Average - good gas mileage, fairly reliable??, more expensive to insure, handles adverse conditions, room for multiple passengers, is more fun to drive daily

For people who own these vehicles / have a considerable amount of knowledge about them, what are your thoughts? Main driving factors are reliability and practicality.

Also, based on these two choices, are there any other vehicles that I should consider?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned a couple of subarus prior to owning my current daily which is a 07 tacoma x runner. Lots of things I hated about the subies I owned including an 04 STI, although an excellent car in the winter here in Canada. For the gen I owned I hated how the sedans rear seats DO NOT FOLD DOWN! I then switched to an RS wagon with a little more room with the rears able to fold down. Both of my subarus all liked to throw a misfire code, catalyic converter code from time to time. This seemed to be an issue with other owners Ive talked to in the city. And of course the dreaded head gaskets on the NA models. Im not too sure if subaru smartened up on their current lineup. Insurance was also pricey.

As far as the Tacoma is for a daily, Its my favorite to date. Good power, decent mileage for a truck. Id even say its comparable to a wrx or an sti for fuel mileage. pretty reliable as well as I have had zero issues so far. Unfortunately my commute to work has changed so Im forced to sell it as driving in Canadian winters for long distances is sketchy in a RWD. I may opt for a 4x4 model next.

I dunno, either Ive just had bad luck with subarus Ive owned, but Ill never go back to one. Get a taco!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy choice for me: the Toyota Tacoma all the way!! You already have a fun car, so the WRX is redundant.

As you know, Tacomas are brick-sh-t house tough, reliable and have mad resale value - you will lose very little money.

Maybe because I am a bit older, but I hate the WRX. Although I recognize the Subaru's excellent performance, IMO, the WRX has a juvenile look to it (like an EVO for example) and screams "I'm 23 years old!" Also IMO, the exhaust sounds terrible. I'd be embarrassed to drive around in that thing - albeit I appreciate they have strong fan base and fill a niche for many.

Last edited by 2Kaputnik; 01-11-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch those Toyota frames for rust. I am in the Northeast too, the roads in the winter suck.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 1,552 Likes on 921 Posts

I have a Tacoma extended cab, 90K miles. Bulletproof. No rust at all (It is a 2002) but I live in California. No vehicles rust where I live; no salt only sand on roads. Work truck. My daily is a 94 T-Bird, original owner, 150K miles, airport car. Snow car and wife's commute vehicle (3 miles to work) is a MDX which is incredible in deep unplowed snow. We have a cabin in Soda Springs near Donner Pass that is always on national news for ground zero for snow storms. MDX has a real AWD unlike some of the other light weight "AWD" cars you see out there. (Escape, Rav etc). S is for fun and good weather. Weekend road trip car.

In your case I would do the Tacoma. Has one of the best resale value of any truck and I think I read of any vehicle. I prefer the manual transmission like mine.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

Wait, are you buying new, or used? Plz clarify.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Moved to car talk. Buy an Accord, unless you're a home owner...then by the Tacoma
Old 01-11-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

GTI. Hauls most stuff for home projects, and if it does not, rent the Home Depot truck for the day or pay for delivery. GTI is fun, economical, has a nice interior, performs well and looks decent.

Now reliability might get a couple people to chime in.............
Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 378 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
GTI. Hauls most stuff for home projects, and if it does not, rent the Home Depot truck for the day or pay for delivery. GTI is fun, economical, has a nice interior, performs well and looks decent.

Now reliability might get a couple people to chime in.............
And resale value.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 378 Likes on 281 Posts

I'd get a WRX base unless you need the bed of the truck. I have found over the last ten years owning my current house, I need a truck once or twice a year. On those day I go to Home Depot and rent one.

The WRX with a set of winter tires, doesn't get much better. And you've got ample power, can still get it in a manual, and Subaru makes the safest gasoline powered crash rated vehicles on the road.

Quick Reply: Looking at potential daily drivers