S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Luxury sedan (used) under $40k for non-enthusiast (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/luxury-sedan-used-under-%2440k-non-enthusiast-1192286/)

QUIKAG 03-06-2019 11:42 AM

A CTS V Sport is one of the best mid-sized (fairly quick) luxury sedans on the market. $70k sticker for under $45k (probably now under $40k since I looked a year or two ago) for a certified pre-owned model that should prove fairly reliable and comfy for several years while also being quite fast with the 420hp twin turbo V6. Another option is a several year old Lexus LS460, those things depreciate like crazy too for some reason, but are very comfy and nice. Genesis sedan 3.8 or 5.0 is also a very solid option as JonBoy mentioned. IMO, the Lexus GS kind of sucks, I've had a few as a loaners and pretty depressing, boring car overall IMHO.

clutchcargo 03-06-2019 11:53 AM

My Q50S Hybrid AWD has been awesome for 51/2 years and 76k miles. Plenty of non Hybrid iterations too.
He also can’t go wrong with a GS 350 AWD

JonBoy 03-06-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG (Post 24574299)
A CTS V Sport is one of the best mid-sized (fairly quick) luxury sedans on the market. $70k sticker for under $45k (probably now under $40k since I looked a year or two ago) for a certified pre-owned model that should prove fairly reliable and comfy for several years while also being quite fast with the 420hp twin turbo V6. Another option is a several year old Lexus LS460, those things depreciate like crazy too for some reason, but are very comfy and nice. Genesis sedan 3.8 or 5.0 is also a very solid option as JonBoy mentioned. IMO, the Lexus GS kind of sucks, I've had a few as a loaners and pretty depressing, boring car overall IMHO.

CTS V Sport was on my list initially but it's RWD, not AWD. OP mentioned that AWD is a must.

I was "this" close to buying a V Sport here in Canada for $36K with under 30K miles in the fall, but it was black-on-black and with the amount of rain we get here, I couldn't convince myself to buy a car that's so hard to visually maintain. Heck of a car - every bell and whistle you could want and the depreciation is very high on those.

eight 03-06-2019 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings (Post 24573896)
Repair bills are real too. My sister had a 2013 Q7 that got lemon'ed in 2015 and replaced with a (then) current model year. The SUV recently went out of warranty and like clock work is experiencing a myriad of issues including heavy oil consumption. Bro in-law didn't learn the lesson from their purchase with the Q7 and got a 2015 A4 2.0 that has already required repair and maintenance beyond basic fluid and air/cabin filter changes.

My direct family (parents and siblings w/spouses) have owned 8 Mercedez Benz, 7 BMWs, 3 Audis, and 2 Range Rovers since 1985. With the exception of the 2017 Audi S3 and 2018 MB C43 (since they're essentially still brand new), none of them have been anywhere remotely close to Japanese level of reliability.

FWIW, they're all very particular about outward appearances and prestige.

I drive a Subaru and a Honda - my wife has a Toyota... I'm the only Japanese car owner in the family.

Edit: Should also echo that the family mechanic says that Audis are the worst to wrench on from a design standpoint - engine bay is cramped and components are poorly placed such that replacement/repair requires a lot of labor removing things that hinder access.

Yea, don't get me wrong. Not an advocate for the luxury EU cars. But just judging from the OP, it seems like he's not too concerned about cost of ownership, just initial cost. The fact that he included AWD in there seems like it's pretty important and not all AWD are created equal. I definitely feel like, if maintenance can be afforded, for an AWD vehicle, the Audi is superior.

With that being said. I'm a proud owner of a Tacoma and a Rav4. Toyota ftw.

CMK 03-07-2019 04:26 AM

Genesis G80 AWD or Lexus GS 350 AWD.

mosesbotbol 03-07-2019 04:34 AM

How about a Volvo s90?

rob-2 03-16-2019 05:55 AM

Lexus is the go to in this segment.

Anything german will end up having costly repairs. They're stupidly over built and overly complicated.

darcyw 03-16-2019 07:13 PM

ok, I have another suggestion. 2017 Ford Fusion Sport AWD as a TURO rental. v6 twin turbo ecoboost- 325 BHP, 380 lbft. Got 22 MPG over 800 miles. Comfortable. Fast. It was a surprise that Ford built it. I can't own one since it has a dopey automatic, but for most non enthusiasts it would fit the bill.
darcy

white98ls 03-18-2019 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 24578287)
Lexus is the go to in this segment.

Anything german will end up having costly repairs. They're stupidly over built and overly complicated.

Some examples of this from my E39 M5:

-Nav screen motors out of the way to expose cassette deck, which no one will ever use
-Regular washer fluid AND a 2nd type of concentrated washer fluid for those extra-sticky situations (I have to admit, this was kind of awesome)
-Two fuel pumps, one of which is $350-400+ and can leave you stranded around 80-120k
-Four cam position sensors which fail over time
-Replacing thermostat ($300+ part) involves removing entire intake system including 8 individual throttle body trumpets (factory ITBs)

And from my E90 M3:
-Throttle actuators, two of them, which cost $500-600 each and have plastic gears which last maybe 40-50k (both of mine failed at 42k, causing limp mode)
-No dipstick, and the electronic reader is so slow that most dealers/indy shops get it wrong more often than not and I have to go back to get some drained out

I don't think "Keep It Simple, Stupid" has a German translation...

JonBoy 03-18-2019 12:43 PM

You could also look at the Infiniti Q50 series, as they're quite reliable and offer AWD.