S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   M BMW is more reliable than your Honda (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/m-bmw-more-reliable-than-your-honda-1169386/)

vader1 02-22-2017 06:17 AM

My BMW is more reliable than your Honda

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170222/OEM01/170229953/lexus-porsche-rank-as-most-dependable-brands-j-d-power-says

Looks
like I got a pair of rock solid cars in the garage.

Surprising: BMW in top 10 most reliable cars after 3 years of ownership.

Not Surprising: Anything by FCA (Chrysler) is at the bottom.

Mr.E.G. 02-22-2017 06:22 AM

Well, yeah. Everyone knows that the car's computer is programmed to recognize the point at which the warranty expires, THEN it starts the slow process of self destruction.

vader1 02-22-2017 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G. (Post 24158193)
Well, yeah. Everyone knows that the car's computer is programmed to recognize the point at which the warranty expires, THEN it starts the slow process of self destruction.

I laughed.

TheDonEffect 02-22-2017 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G. (Post 24158193)

:spitcoffee:

white98ls 02-22-2017 07:57 AM

Interesting. I wonder if it's really true that BMW has really gotten that much better and Honda that much worse. Based on my anecdotal ownership of two Hondas and two BMWs (the BMWs were newer than the Hondas and not driven as hard), it would have to be a monumental shift...

mosesbotbol 02-22-2017 08:52 AM

odd to see the spread between Honda and Acura or Buick and Cadillac...

vader1 02-22-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls (Post 24158264)
Interesting. I wonder if it's really true that BMW has really gotten that much better and Honda that much worse. Based on my anecdotal ownership of two Hondas and two BMWs (the BMWs were newer than the Hondas and not driven as hard), it would have to be a monumental shift...

My bimmer just turned 30,000 miles and except for one start where the nav went wonky and then cured itself with a reboot by shutting down the car, it has not had the slightest hiccup or shown me any sense of poor quality (except for the plastic should be better for what I paid.) I think it is interesting to all who say that BMWs suck donkeys and should be avoided at all costs. I get that parts are OUTRAGEOUS for them but there are a ton of old ones on the road, I see as many old BMW's as I see old Hondas and that has to count for something.

I would say, however, I am not convinced if I wanted a car that was going to go trouble free for 150,000-200,000 miles I would go with anything other than Honda or Toyota. They just wont die and everybody knows it.

But Porsche being Toyota style rock solid has been the buzz for several years now and I am super happy about it. Now that I have one and would have a freaking aneurism if I lost an engine, it is good to know they are built to last. Had they not had that reputation I probably would have looked elsewhere for a fun car because I aint the kind of baller that just plops down cash for a new one and does not bat an eye when it drops a transmission. I bought CPO to have some immediate protection and want a trouble free experience long after that. If you follow the maintenance schedule at the dealer, you fork over enough to make some people run.

Although my new-BMW experience has been wonderful I do have one serious gripe. The resale value plummets SO fast on a three series (and some of their other models) that it probably would have been wiser to just buy a new Accord. I really liked getting to do the European delivery and would love to do it again some day, but since the cars don't hold their value well if you want one, CPO is the way to go. I'd like a 2 series, and I really don't know if I will buy new or look for a CPO down the road. But I think that I paid 50% more on the 3 series over a loaded Accord and right now, they both have about the same trade in value and selling on the used market is WAYYYYYYY easier with a Honda product. Regardless of what the JD power says, if you want value, really long term reliability, and easy top-dollar resale, there are much better choices than bimmers. Honda and Toyota being the main ones. -Captain Obvious

CosmosMpower 02-22-2017 09:36 AM

I don't believe it one bit. Every BMW has some sort of leak after 3-4 years. Oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, trans. BMW's are more complicated and have way more things that can break, dumb stuff like plastic water pump impellers, VANOS, DISA valve flaps breaking off etc.

jeffbrig 02-22-2017 09:41 AM

Hard to take this JD Power "study" seriously when nearly one in four complaints are sourced to infotainment systems. From the JD Power press release:

• The Audio/Communication/Entertainment/Navigation (ACEN) category continues to be the most problematic area, accounting for 22% of all problems reported—up from 20% last year.
  • For a third consecutive year, the problems most reported by owners are Bluetooth pairing/connectivity and built-in voice recognition misinterpreting commands.
  • New to the top 10 list of problems reported in 2017 is battery failure. In fact, 44% more owners report a battery failure this year than in 2016. Batteries are the most frequently replaced component not related to normal wear and tear in 3-year-old vehicles at 6.1%—up 1.3 percentage points from 2016.

Bluetooth pairing? Seems like a stretch to give a vehicle poor reliability marks just because you have trouble pairing your iPhone with it...

sam_spider 02-22-2017 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig (Post 24158348)
Hard to take this JD Power "study" seriously when nearly one in four complaints are sourced to infotainment systems. From the JD Power press release:

Bluetooth pairing? Seems like a stretch to give a vehicle poor reliability marks just because you have trouble pairing your iPhone with it...

Exactly, was about to post something similar. The "problems" could be something as ridiculous as the placement of a switch. I've filled out my fair share of JD Power "surveys" and find these reports very misleading.