Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

M BMW is more reliable than your Honda

Notices
Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

M BMW is more reliable than your Honda

Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Liked 116 Times in 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig View Post
Hard to take this JD Power "study" seriously when nearly one in four complaints are sourced to infotainment systems. From the JD Power press release:

Bluetooth pairing? Seems like a stretch to give a vehicle poor reliability marks just because you have trouble pairing your iPhone with it...
Well sure, but the point people make on Bimmerfest often is that most of the problems people report on BMW's is not knowing how to use the tech. If you took the idrive "problems" off the list, how much better would they look relative to others when their tech complaints are removed? They (high end cars) tend to have more involved tech that the other cars.

Conversely, is Dodge rated poor due to infotainment or are they poorly made relative to the competition? It can't be wrong at the top and right on the bottom.

While the problems with tech are part of the study, so are engine, powertrain, and anything else. Its not perfect, but what is the alternative? Consumer Reports flawed methodology or internet anecdotes of quality?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Honestly who cares? Doesn't this just point to cars being very reliable now...so woohoo, buy the one you like best?!?

when I say who cares I mean, whether Honda or BMW are more reliable overall. Both are fine. BMW will cost more when something inevitably goes wrong.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 PM

Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
While the problems with tech are part of the study, so are engine, powertrain, and anything else. Its not perfect, but what is the alternative?
That's kind of my point. I am discounting 1 in 4 of the "issues", but that number is given on the aggregate. I have no idea what percentage of the complaints against any particular make are bluetooth issues, or legitimate problems (engine/powertrain/structural/suspension/etc). One make with a "bad" rating might have 80% of its issues logged against the stereo, while another make receiving a "good" rating might have 90% of their issues be engine grenades. Which one would you rather have in your garage? There has to be some sort of weighting system, or better yet, separate reporting of niggles vs fatal flaws ($$$).
Old 02-22-2017, 05:48 PM

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts

Not familiar with that word. Consider me triggered. :-)
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 PM

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts

Also, while I realize what I'm about to say is hard to quantify, I strongly feel that German engineers like to do stuff for the sake of doing stuff, while Japanese engineers take a more pragmatic approach, much like the fabled story of NASA spending a zillion dollars to make a pen that writes in zero gravity, whereas Russia just decided to use pencils.

But, as was stated earlier, I think that cars have come far enough that it's hard to buy a genuinely unreliable car these days. Hell, my Cadillac has 35,000 miles on it and hasn't skipped a beat. And it's a verified fact that no GM car made before 2007 ever made it to 50k miles without at least one engine replacement. I'm so close. Pray for me.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 PM

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I want to add a vote in the "BMW skeptic" column for both reliability and resale.

I get a new company car every three years. My last car was a 528ix. It cost $54k. It had 103k miles at the end of three years and I had the opportunity to buy it for $15k before it went to auction. But I still didn't buy it. I just didn't trust it given the electronic gremlins that we're starting to pop up.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 PM

Liked 68 Times in 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig View Post
Hard to take this JD Power "study" seriously when nearly one in four complaints are sourced to infotainment systems. From the JD Power press release:

Bluetooth pairing? Seems like a stretch to give a vehicle poor reliability marks just because you have trouble pairing your iPhone with it...
talking to a FCA head tech i know, he said the number one complaint people have is not being able to pair their phone with their car. crazy, i know. I could give a flying F…then again, i don't even own a phone.

darcy
​​​​​​​
Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 AM

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw View Post
talking to a FCA head tech i know, he said the number one complaint people have is not being able to pair their phone with their car. crazy, i know. I could give a flying F…then again, i don't even own a phone.

darcy
great, congrats on being weird. A car with a system that pairs well is nice, especially if you drive a lot or end up taking a lot of calls in it, or like listening to music. It's not a reliability issue per-say, but having a good system isn't a negative. A bad one is, for most people, and rightly so, imo.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 AM

Liked 116 Times in 86 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw View Post

darcy
​​​​​​​
That makes two of us. Everybody I meet says "HOW DO YOU GET BY!!!!????!!!" Easy. When I am out walking the dog, you can't reach me. That's about it. Leave a message for me at home or work, and I will get it eventually.
The following users liked this post: vader1
JonBoy (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:06 AM

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G. View Post
Also, while I realize what I'm about to say is hard to quantify, I strongly feel that German engineers like to do stuff for the sake of doing stuff, while Japanese engineers take a more pragmatic approach, much like the fabled story of NASA spending a zillion dollars to make a pen that writes in zero gravity, whereas Russia just decided to use pencils.

But, as was stated earlier, I think that cars have come far enough that it's hard to buy a genuinely unreliable car these days. Hell, my Cadillac has 35,000 miles on it and hasn't skipped a beat. And it's a verified fact that no GM car made before 2007 ever made it to 50k miles without at least one engine replacement. I'm so close. Pray for me.
Buy a Lotus or Mclaren, will be in the shop all the time for some gremlins.

Quick Reply: M BMW is more reliable than your Honda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands