Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

M3 Cab Test Drive

Old 07-16-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 Cab Test Drive

In a nutshell: this is a pretty nice car.

In more detail: it was an '05 w/SMG. I'd never dealt with any form of SMG before, but the learning curve is quick. In full automatic mode, you can feel the shifts, but you won't get whiplash like some reviews would lead you to believe - after all, the trans still has a clutch. In manual mode, shifts can be leisurely or lightning-fast. I had it on both the fourth and fifth settings, and you can feel the difference.

The S54 engine is sweeet! From a standing start, you're revving like an S2000 before you know it. 5000 rpms comes up real fast, and by then you're MOVING. Torque is of course plentiful all across the rev range. I didn't get it above 6000, but since it makes peak HP at around 7900, it just keeps on pulling.

The SMG's especially fun on downshifts. Pull the paddle and the engine rev matches for you.

The car we had was riding on optional 19-inch wheels.. Roads were smooth, so I can't judge how it would act on rough pavement. I took it around some corners at a good clip, and it just stuck like glue. Minimal body roll, and the car didn't feel anywhere near its 3700-lb weight.

We can't afford one now, but I've been curious about the E46 cab for some time. It's a beautiful combination of civlized behavior and raw power, and from behind the wheel, that engine sounds awesome. It's a high-tech tenor snarl.

And BTW, for Washington, DC-area drivers:
to BMW of Sterling, VA. Great, friendly people.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:13 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The cab is a very heavy car I think it's ~3700 lbs. Also I've heard and read the cab is not especially stiff as in you'll feel shakes when going over train tracks and pot holes.

This luxury-sporty-GT-vert is not my bag. It tries to be everything and as a result it's not great at anything (IMO). I'd rather have a nice 2-seat roadster and regular coupe/sedan.

The M3 cab costs at least $55K but really $60K; for that I'd get a Miata + 330Ci or S2000 + Mustang GT or some such vert + sedan/coupe combo.

I don't suspect the M3 cab is much quicker or better handling than a $25K Mustang GT (coupe) that'd leave me with $30K left over for a true roadster.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:56 AM

My M3 Convertible never shakes or rattles over anything. Very solid car and handles beautifully. I wanted a car that has rear seats, is a convertible, and also is a sports car. And IMO, there is no better car under $100k that has all these features than the M3 Convertible.

Helios-

Did they let you test drive it in Sport Mode? The car definitely has much more low end grunt in this mode. It's fun to keep it off until about 6000 RPMs in first gear, then press the Sport Mode button. Kind of feels like boost.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:52 AM
rai

Originally Posted by TCKTPLZ,Jul 16 2005, 09:56 AM
My M3 Convertible never shakes or rattles over anything. Very solid car and handles beautifully...
Here are just 2 reviews I've found on the web:
Our M3 convertible, was plagued with creaks and moans, made even more noticeable because of heightened expectations: BMWs are supposed to be buttoned down tightly. Chassis flex had something to do with the excessive noise... It flexes more than we'd like and doesn't match the rigidity of two-seater sports cars.
Chassis flex, shimmy and shudder are noticeable when getting into it on back roads and when cruising on rough freeways. The Coupe doesn't just handle better, it rides better, too.
Most review I've read point out the chassis flex of the M3 cab. My friend had a loaner of a 330Ci cab and he said the flex was very noticible.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Jul 16 2005, 10:52 AM
Here are just 2 reviews I've found on the web:

Most review I've read point out the chassis flex of the M3 cab. My friend had a loaner of a 330Ci cab and he said the flex was very noticible.
There was also a time when people both heard and read that the Earth was flat.

All I know is, my M3 Convertible doesn't flex, creak or moan. Period. I drive it 70 miles back and forth every day to work every day and I never experience anything that those web "reviews" stated.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:30 AM
rai

[QUOTE=TCKTPLZ,Jul 16 2005, 11:22 AM] There was also a time when people both heard and read that the Earth was flat.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great car. I would love to have an E46 M3 coupe or cab.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by TCKTPLZ,Jul 16 2005, 01:56 PM
Helios-

Did they let you test drive it in Sport Mode? The car definitely has much more low end grunt in this mode. It's fun to keep it off until about 6000 RPMs in first gear, then press the Sport Mode button. Kind of feels like boost.
Funny you should mention the sport button...

I didn't even notice it until late in the test drive. I pressed it at a stop light, and YES I definitely could feel the difference. I was in auto mode and when I lightly pressed the throttle the car just jumped forward. When they say sport they're not kidding!
Old 07-16-2005, 07:51 PM

First time I drove SMG i thought it was in auto mode leaving the parking lot.
After redlining for over 4-5 seconds I learned it wasnt..
Oh well it was in shitty condition anyway, plus it was at a VW dealer so the guy didnt know any better.
Fun car though
Old 07-16-2005, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the sport mode button. It makes the throttle difficult to modulate. You should've tried out the launch control.