Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Marketing the Miata

Old 04-01-2006, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marketing the Miata

I thought you folks might be interested in a phone call that I received from a marketing firm. They contacted me because I own a 2005 S2K and offered $100 if I would participate in a one-hour face-to-face discussion with other sports car owners about features that contributed to our decisions to purchase our cars. I've done this before for other cars and found it to be interesting, so we checked times and scheduled one that was convenient for me. Next, they needed to ask me a few questions to ensure that I was qualified for the research. The first and only question that I was asked was "did you consider the Miata when you purchased your Honda?" My answer was "NO" ... because I didn't. In response, the screener told me that the survey was only open to new sports car owners who had considered the Miata; I was not eligible for the discussion group because I had not considered the Miata.

There's nothing profound here and I don't think this was any kind of scam. I just thought that folks here might be interested in an example of how Miata is working to increase their share of the sports car market, including attracting potential S2K owners. Too bad I didn't get a toe in the door, maybe I could've talked a couple of future Miata owners into getting an S instead. The Miata is probably a great car, but I love my S.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:37 AM

I would suspect Mazda could entice more potential S2000 owners by adding more power... and not making the new car look... um... well it could be better.

It seems to me they should have asked a few more questions before deciding you weren't a candidate. They could ask why you didn't consider the Miata. Really, you probably had some reason why you didn't consider it. For example if you got the S2000 because you LOVE the looks and the motor and had never considered any other cars from the time the S hit the market well then I would say just about nothing Mazda could do would get you in the door.
On the other hand, lets say you bought the S2000 because you wanted a two seat roadster and the Miata just wasn't powerful enough yet the German cars seemed to be too much money. Well you might have not considered the Miata because you knew it wasn't that powerful. But maybe you would have considered it had they dropped a good turbo or V6 motor in the car (all hypothetical). Really, they should ask why you didn't consider the car before deciding your view isn't worth paying for.

I suspect Mazda (I assume it was Mazda) is doing this because they are feeling heat from the Solstice and Sky at one end and know that few people will buy a Miata over an S2000 at the higher end of the market. There isn't much they can do against the GM cars. Those two have style the Miata is missing and will sell because of that. Based on many reviews it seems that if the looks weren't a factor far more people would choose the Mazda over the GM car. So Mazda can't beat GM on looks.

Well they might be able to get more sales by moving up market. That means winning sales from Honda. That's a tight market. It's not like Honda is selling lots of S2000s. So to get Honda sales you need to have a car that feels as expensive as the Honda (I would say the current Miata does). You also have to have features on par with Honda. Well Mazda's top is manual (though very easy to use) and the power is way down in comparison. Rumor has it a hard top vert is in store for the Miata. The next issue is power. I'm sure they could boost that motor. So they could match some of the perks of the S2000. The next question would be, would people buy it? Are people willing to pay near $30k for a Maita that starts at $20k? Would they just buy the S2000 that traditionally has had a more expensive look? Hard to tell with the new Miata.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:27 AM

It's cheaper to buy, lease, insure a miata.

That might appeal to many. Plus it doesn't have as harsh of a suspension as the S2000. More features, and maybe some appeal to the "Miata" prestige it has earned for the past 10 years
Old 04-01-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered a Mazdaspeed Miata for a few minutes, but thats about it.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on miata forums the general concensus seems to be that the miata owners respect the s2k and think it's a great car...they just don't think it's a $7000+ better car.
in retrospect i agree with them since my last car was a miata. i enjoy the s2k but it doesn't seem to be that much better particularly if you ignore the engine. IMO the interior of the new miatas is much nicer than our s2ks...granted it was designed six years later too.

a lot of s2000 owners get offended when their car is compared to a miata and it is just an image thing. miata = girly
they are great cars...i think a lot of the miata bashing is coming from those who have not driven one...it's a very similar experience to the s2000 for a lot less money with a lot less performance about 6k.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by sodaking663rd,Apr 1 2006, 12:10 PM
on miata forums the general concensus seems to be that the miata owners respect the s2k and think it's a great car...they just don't think it's a $7000+ better car.
in retrospect i agree with them since my last car was a miata. i enjoy the s2k but it doesn't seem to be that much better particularly if you ignore the engine. IMO the interior of the new miatas is much nicer than our s2ks...granted it was designed six years later too.

a lot of s2000 owners get offended when their car is compared to a miata and it is just an image thing. miata = girly
they are great cars...i think a lot of the miata bashing is coming from those who have not driven one...it's a very similar experience to the s2000 for a lot less money with a lot less performance about 6k.
I agree.

S2k owners make themselves look like fools when they bad mouth the Miata. The car has gained the popularity it has over the past 17 years for a reason and it will, without a doubt, outlive the S2000.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:05 PM

The Miata already has outlived the S2000. It's on its third redesign. The s2000 still on its first.

Go back to 1989, if there wasn't a miata. There wouldn't be an S2000
Old 04-01-2006, 07:41 PM

I considered the Miata before buying the S2000. I really liked the MX-5 Miata, so it was a tough call. Here are the primary factors, pros and cons:

- The MX-5 had some ergonomic problems with the foot pedals/footrest. When I put the seat back so that my leg was straight and my left foot was flat on the rest, I had trouble reaching the pedals. Move the pedals up, or the footrest down.

- I did like the new styling of the MX-5, very much. It's almost as pretty as the S2000.

- The Miata handled great around town, but felt a bit "squirrely" at high speed.

- The power roof was a huge point for Honda.

- The Miata fell below my 200hp target.

- In my budget I could have bought a brand new Miata instead of a used S2000. That made the Miata very tempting.

You know what would have temped me over the edge? If the RX-8 had a bit more HP and convertible top. That is a sweet looking car!

Best Wishes,
-Bob
Old 04-01-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S2K owners look like fools when they bad mouth the Miata?

I'll badmouth a Miata right now. 170hp may be enough to get you and your wind-blown partner to the last showing of Brokeback mountain, but its a horribly unimpressive amount of power for an over $20k car, let alone a sportscar.

I give the 1st gen. Miatas a lot of respect and would choose a '93 over an '06.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a Miata for a little over a year, while waiting for delivery of my Corvette, and liked it a lot. There's just not enough room in my garage, otherwise I'd have kept the Miata. Extremely fun to drive, very sporty feel, can be tossed about with abandon without doing any harm to the car or to any body else (due to its low power and low weight). There's something neat about being able to squeeze into any parking space I want. I was aware of the negative image associated with the car, but was never bothered by it. Confidence and self esteem come from within, not from any car one's driving. I still miss selling it, and will get another one next year. I really like the new Miata, hopefully I can pick one up for cheap.

Quick Reply: Marketing the Miata