Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Maybe I've finally realized I'm not a kid anymore?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Maybe I've finally realized I'm not a kid anymore?

As much as I hate to admit this, after 4 years of daily driving the S2000, there are a few... shortcomings... that I'm willing to admit to.
When friends come to town, we have to take their vehicle around since they obviously cant all fit in the S...
Rush hour stop and go is brutally annoying with a stick shift. There, I said it. Castrate me, I don't care. I've been delusional far too long about this issue. Those of you who disagree with me simply haven't yet grown up enough to realize the S is NOT an all purpose vehicle
Long distance highway drives are flat out exhausting. By the time you get to your destination, the last thing you want to do is drive anymore...unless you managed to get away with driving like a bat out of hell the whole trip and not get caught by the popo, and how many times do you think that you're gonna get away with that?
And as nice as the S2000 looks, when you're trying to take the wife out for something seriously romantic, making her climb into and out of the little car-that-can and shouting over the incessant growling and barking of the ITB's, dampens the mood a good bit, and is enough to make you start thinking about what it'd be like to drive anything else...

Lets face it, the world is changing. As an engineer, I welcome technological advances, and deplore laziness and apathy. I've been thinking about getting another car, after I finish this degree and get a good chunk of $$ saved up.

I've been kicking around the idea of a good grand touring car, capable of comfortable distance drives, but with ample power on tap for some high speed blasts and a respectable chassis for the occasional twisty road that I may stumble upon on my travels...

As far as I'm concerned, no other ICE is going to satisfy my bloodlust for a screaming banshee of an engine, so I'm thinking of going the other way...dead silence. With that in mind, I present my 2 choices, the Fisker Karma, and the Tesla Model S.

Choice #1 Fisker Karma

In my honest, unfiltered, straight from the heart opinion, this is the most beautiful car I have ever laid my eyes upon. I cannot find a single solitary element of this car that I dislike, aside from the price tag
50 miles all electric, then the 2.0 turbo ecotec takes over and charges the Li-ion battery back up...in full power mode this thing lays down 408 hp and 960 lb*ft of torque good for 0-60 in 5.8s and limited to 125 on the top end.... Sure its heavy, close to 2.5 tons, but good lord, with that much torque I could throw a chain around my house and drag it down the road!
And the looks!! It reminds me of a Maserati Quadraportte (I know I spelled it wrong, get over it), only I think it looks even better. The rear reminds me of a marriage between the good parts of the rear ends of the upper BMW's and Aston's...
By my count, by the time that the initially sold off run is burned up and a few of these actually make it to the dealer networks, I should be in the right financial position to actually go for one of these....

OR
Choice #2: Telsa Model S

At about $20k cheaper than the Fisker, this car looks like what the new line of Acura's SHOULD look like....you can see the TL styling written all down the side of this car, and that's a good thing IMO. Sure, its not quite as baller as the Fisker will be, but it's no slouch in the looks or performance departments either. Both cars look stunning, and both should be really, really nice cars to drive.

Comments?

...Can you tell I'm bored?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Fisker is beautiful but I think part of it is the brushed surface instead of paint. I would personally go with the Fisker, since you are shelling out a good amount of money, go with the better item. It's what I did when I bought my S vs a miata (I just turned 21, got my car at 19)
Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 AM

Just get a 3 or 5 series?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCVTEC,Feb 3 2009, 10:13 AM
Just get a 3 or 5 series?
why not keep the S for the weekend spirited drives and get a 5 series for a DD
Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The thought of getting a more "practical" car has crossed my mind before. When I went from a 2 door/4 seater celica to the S, I knew that I was buying a toy on top of that, a transportation vehicle that does not operate through the 4 seasons. But I wanted a toy, something I can enjoy on the weekend when I do get a chance to drive.

Sitting in NYC traffic does svck but I've made peace with it. However, since I'm turning 30 in a couple of days, I'm thinking that hopefully, I'll make enough in another 2-3 years to pick up a more practical used 4-seater. I surely don't make enough to be looking at the cars you're looking at.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

and id b pissed if i spent that much and i could only hit a 5.8 0-60. wuts the 1/4 on it? and 125 limited top speed? too low lol
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

if you have the balls to go with either then I say go with the tesla and put put a sticker of a no smoking emblem over the word "Edison" :-)

if you don't get that reference, you probably have a better sex life than me.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Go for the Fisker Nate!! You want an automotive marvel. Deservingly so. Something that is waaay out of the box. A 3/5 series wont cut it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 AM

Tesla has really lost a lot of the momentum they started with, and the roadster is kind of underwhelming. Fisker however looks like he's really got his business together on the Karma; completely usable for what it does without any compromises, and he's got a solid, proven relatively high-volume manufacturer lined up for it. Not to mention that it's drop-dead gorgeous.

Overall the Karma is looking like a car that justifies its price by being *just that good*. The Tesla stuff continues to look "pretty cool for an electric car, if you have a lot of money".
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s.hasan546,Feb 3 2009, 10:27 AM
and id b pissed if i spent that much and i could only hit a 5.8 0-60. wuts the 1/4 on it? and 125 limited top speed? too low lol
Because you find yourself doing 130mph on public roads often?

Quick Reply: Maybe I've finally realized I'm not a kid anymore?