Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda announces gas compression ignition.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Mazda announces gas compression ignition.

By 2019. http://www.autonews.com/article/20170808/COPY01/308089951/mazda-unveils-plans-for-worlds-first-compression-ignition-gasoline

If
the article is correct, and the advances are 20-30 percent in fuel economy, the fun to drive though kind of slow Mazda 3 and 6 will get close to 50 mpg. Why then, would anyone buy a Prius and its super fugly fugliness?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Love the CX-5 and 50mpg would be great, but mpg isn't it's main issue for the CX-5. They need a performance turbo model. My wife really liked driving the CX-5 (besides lack of power) and the CX-9 (though she thought the CX-9 was a little big, but had much better power). So, if they put the turbo engine from the CX-9 into the CX-5 and added Apple Carplay, we would have likely bought one.

I've corrupted my wife with the '16 Camaro SS. She is an acceleration junky and I can't fault her as I am too. Loved the CX-5 and it's perfectly adequate for cruising around town. But that extra power and turbo torque of the CX-9 into the smaller CX-5 body would be just about perfect for us.

So, we placed an order for an '18 GLC43 Coupe. It's 362hp and has good power for it's class. It's also quite a bit more than a CX-5, so not an equal comparison. Thanks Mazda for making me spend more money to placate my wife instead of having a performance CX-5 model!!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Love the CX-5 and 50mpg would be great, but mpg isn't it's main issue for the CX-5. They need a performance turbo model. My wife really liked driving the CX-5 (besides lack of power) and the CX-9 (though she thought the CX-9 was a little big, but had much better power). So, if they put the turbo engine from the CX-9 into the CX-5 and added Apple Carplay, we would have likely bought one.

I've corrupted my wife with the '16 Camaro SS. She is an acceleration junky and I can't fault her as I am too. Loved the CX-5 and it's perfectly adequate for cruising around town. But that extra power and turbo torque of the CX-9 into the smaller CX-5 body would be just about perfect for us.

So, we placed an order for an '18 GLC43 Coupe. It's 362hp and has good power for it's class. It's also quite a bit more than a CX-5, so not an equal comparison. Thanks Mazda for making me spend more money to placate my wife instead of having a performance CX-5 model!!
CX5 to a glc43? You were never going to convince her to drive a mazda.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

These types of engines are going to necessitate expensive and complicated emission control systems just like diesel engines. Most direct injection engines already on the market should actually have more emission controls on them - the amount of NOx they're emitting is becoming a growing problem...
Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
CX5 to a glc43? You were never going to convince her to drive a mazda.
You're right. I started backwards. We drove a used X5M first (big mistake) and every SUV after that below 350hp wasn't "sufficient."
Old 08-08-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

You're right. I started backwards. We drove a used X5M first (big mistake) and every SUV after that below 350hp wasn't "sufficient."
Lol, I would've bought the Casio but it just didn't have a date cyclops, so we bought the rolex instead.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Haha See, my wife went from a 2005 Corolla to the CX-5. She LOVES the thing. I do too! Even with the automatic, the throttle and transmission calibration are spot-on for more aggressive driving. The rev-matched downshifts when the transmission in manual mode are the best of any automatic I've driven in more pedestrian class. She does wish it had more power, but the downside to power is reduced fuel economy of course. Gas ain't cheap out here in Cali and she's in bumper-to-bumper traffic 100% of her commute (averages 15mph) so it would be very rare she would get to use any additional power. Even with her crap commute, she averages 25.5mpg. The guys at Mazda did say the turbo engine from the CX-9 would drop straight into the CX-5, though there's no business case for that. Might be a better business case for the turbo engine in the Mazda6 to compete with the V6 Camry, turbo 4-banger Accord, etc. Or in the Mazda3 to make a Mazdaspeed hatch. I also looked to see if the Edelbrock Miata blower kit would fit on the CX-5 (my buddy works at Edelbrock and gave me a sneak peek), but the throttle body layouts are different due to long. vs trans engine layouts.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

If it works properly, it'll be a gamechanger for the industry, especially if it's relatively inexpensive. Improved torque and economy is great for city driving and typical use of street vehicles. That said, they won't be fun engines, since they're going to have to deal with reduced redlines, in all probability. Not having to add in batteries and electric motors (more weight, more cost, more complexity) is also great!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Haha I also looked to see if the Edelbrock Miata blower kit would fit on the CX-5 (my buddy works at Edelbrock and gave me a sneak peek), but the throttle body layouts are different due to long. vs trans engine layouts.
I read about that kit a while ago and have never seen it for sale anywhere. It was teased at Sema last year. They must be having issues with the tune for Skyactive engines.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

That is awesome! Will be really cool to see what it does. The 3 and 6 are already great cars but without great sales. If they get 20% better MPG than their competitors people might be forced to pay attention.

Quick Reply: Mazda announces gas compression ignition.