Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

MazdaSpeed 6, My new DD

Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asrautox
Originally Posted by BEASTMODE' timestamp='1355248531' post='22203573
The turbo is the big downfall for me. It runs out of breath way too early. I much prefer the Speed3 anyways. If you dont need the AWD, I would get the Speed3. Faster, lighter and more utilitarian.
It's not necessarily the turbo, it's more a function of the factory tune that closes the throttle after 5500rpm. I have an MS3 as my daily and the great thing about these cars is the ability to tune them yourself if you buy an Accessport and download the ATR software. My car is making a corrected ~295whp from that one $550 modification and a custom tune my me on 30% E85. A lot of knowledge can be had by browsing www.mazdaspeedforums.org
You can clearly see what I'm on about. Look at the powerband. 3000-5500RPM then it drops off, so you wait for power and then it's over super quick. I prefer to keep building power until redline so I dont have to short shift.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BEASTMODE
You can clearly see what I'm on about. Look at the powerband. 3000-5500RPM then it drops off, so you wait for power and then it's over super quick. I prefer to keep building power until redline so I dont have to short shift.
It's really not that bad, but the turbo is smaller than I'd like, which is pretty true for all factory turbo cars with the exception of maybe the EVO's and GTR/911's. The drop off you see in that graph is mostly due to the fact that my car is bone stock on the intake and exhaust side, which kills topend flow. It's also because E85 allows me to add a TON of midrange power. Take a look at my 91 octane rat piss map:

See power doesn't drop off, but the midrange isn't nearly as high.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM

I test drove a MS6 a couple years ago, and it seemed like the friction zone at the clutch pedal was 1mm long, which made it really tough to shift smoothly. Granted, this was just a test drive, so you'd probably get it down with some practice. Just something to expect, since from your post it didn't sound like you've driven one before.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

onu2002, you are absolutely correct. I bought my mazda6 after ten years of driving manual cars. It took me weeks to get smooth shifting down. Even after six months, I still get a rough shift here and there. All my previous cars took less than a day to achieve smooth shifts.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Took delivery of the car today and Im really happy with it. I had not gotten the chance to drive a speed6 prior to today and I am quite impressed. First off yes, the clutch is very touchy. Going from a stand still to get moving is going to take some time to get real smooth. After that once you get going its pretty easy to shift smoothly. My wife even drove it quite well to my surprise and she is not very proficient at driving standard. This car is quick. Much quicker than the wrx I had a few years ago. The 3 hour highway trip home was pleasant. Cabin noise is minimal, ride is smooth, audio is great (its bose which I hate because I think its overprice garbage but sounds really good in this car, a factory sub woofer would have been a plus),seats are firm but comfy, pulls well even in 6th on the highway. Had one small ding on the passenger side door and a couple scuffs that I can polish out no problem. Other than that its clean, and was a pleasant buying experience. I am a firm believer in buying from a private individual over a dealer. All dealers are sharks and out to make a profit as they should be its a business. They take a car in on trade, do nothing but detail it and then slap a sticker for 5k more than they paid for it. However private sellers are not going to make a profit they just want to get a fair price for the vehicle. Bottom line I think I made out pretty good, Im in love with the car, cant wait until it gets warmer so I can really get a good detail on it. Just need to put a couple mods for her on my xmas list and I will be all set. First off is to replace the stock recirculation valve, as it is cheap and plastic. $130 fix to replace it with an aluminum one that will hold the boost much better through the gears.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics man!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtw11c
Took delivery of the car today and Im really happy with it. I had not gotten the chance to drive a speed6 prior to today and I am quite impressed. First off yes, the clutch is very touchy. Going from a stand still to get moving is going to take some time to get real smooth. After that once you get going its pretty easy to shift smoothly. My wife even drove it quite well to my surprise and she is not very proficient at driving standard. This car is quick. Much quicker than the wrx I had a few years ago. The 3 hour highway trip home was pleasant. Cabin noise is minimal, ride is smooth, audio is great (its bose which I hate because I think its overprice garbage but sounds really good in this car, a factory sub woofer would have been a plus),seats are firm but comfy, pulls well even in 6th on the highway. Had one small ding on the passenger side door and a couple scuffs that I can polish out no problem. Other than that its clean, and was a pleasant buying experience. I am a firm believer in buying from a private individual over a dealer. All dealers are sharks and out to make a profit as they should be its a business. They take a car in on trade, do nothing but detail it and then slap a sticker for 5k more than they paid for it. However private sellers are not going to make a profit they just want to get a fair price for the vehicle. Bottom line I think I made out pretty good, Im in love with the car, cant wait until it gets warmer so I can really get a good detail on it. Just need to put a couple mods for her on my xmas list and I will be all set. First off is to replace the stock recirculation valve, as it is cheap and plastic. $130 fix to replace it with an aluminum one that will hold the boost much better through the gears.
PICS!! See you over on MSF.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM

MS6 is a great choice.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great timing on this thread as I've been eyeing one of these as well. Did you go with the sport model or GT model? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Quick Reply: MazdaSpeed 6, My new DD