Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

McLaren is killing it

Old 10-04-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I still like the Ferrari.
agreed.
if I am to spend $400K for an 812 vs a 720S, I'd pick the Ferrari.
but McLaren does make awesome cars.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:16 PM
Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Biggest draw back with McLaren is lack of dealers and dealerships that are not on same turn around schedule as more common marques for repairs.

They have put a hurting on Ferrari and Ferrari has responded with increased quotas and future portfolio. I'd like to own a McLaren some day, but the dealership is like an hour or so drive from my house.
Very true, this is an aspect of McLaren most people do not think about. Once you are seriously thinking to buy one, this is a big issue.....plus the reliability factor alone out of warranty will scare most into their grave!

New NSX does compete against any car you are cross shopping and 570s or a used 675LT doesn't really matter.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Old 10-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroBoutique
Very true, this is an aspect of McLaren most people do not think about. Once you are seriously thinking to buy one, this is a big issue.....plus the reliability factor alone out of warranty will scare most into their grave!

New NSX does compete against any car you are cross shopping and 570s or a used 675LT doesn't really matter.
Are there really that many more Ferrari dealers than McLaren? Honest question. I thought as long as you're near a large metro/wealthy area you would have both, but I have no idea.

That is one thing I've realized now that I own a (semi-)exotic brand with my Elise - even in the Bay Area, it can be a hassle getting it serviced at a dealer. I had a recall performed a couple of weeks ago and had to go fairly out of my way. It was really funny dropping off my $30k Elise at a place that sells only Lamborghini, Aston, Bentley, Rolls, and Bugatti LOL. It was like bringing a 49cc Ruckus to a Honda dealership.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Are there really that many more Ferrari dealers than McLaren? Honest question. I thought as long as you're near a large metro/wealthy area you would have both, but I have no idea.
There are in addition to Ferrari dealerships, plenty of indy shops that work on Ferrari. Ferrari has been in the States for like 50 years. How many indy shops work on McLaren (or Lotus)? Not many.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 AM

So what do y'all think about the new Speedtail? At first I didn't like it, but the more I look at it, I think I love it. The dramatic contrast between the Senna's styling (max downforce) and this (minimum drag) just look really purposeful and graceful. LOVE the flaps at the rear which are made of flexible C/F. I just don't know how the car makes much sense - 3-seat GT that's mid-engined, really low and long (202"), show & display only in the U.S. (no side airbags), and insanely fast (0-186 in 12.8, faster than a Chiron). Maybe it doesn't have to make sense...

Old 10-26-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

It's cool, that's for sure, but otherwise, I'm not sure what it is. It's not beautiful, to my eyes. The double window is just weird to me and it looks like a landspeed record car, which seems....pointless. I know this is a very fast (and quick) car but still, it just looks weird to me.

Link for those that want to read the details - https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mclare...-it-1830011225 .

1035 bhp and 243 mph top speed. So yeah, it's faster than the legendary McLaren F1 but at least that car didn't look like someone took a 720S and pulled on the rear end well past the point of reason.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
It's cool, that's for sure, but otherwise, I'm not sure what it is. It's not beautiful, to my eyes. The double window is just weird to me and it looks like a landspeed record car, which seems....pointless. I know this is a very fast (and quick) car but still, it just looks weird to me.

Link for those that want to read the details - https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mclare...-it-1830011225 .

1035 bhp and 243 mph top speed. So yeah, it's faster than the legendary McLaren F1 but at least that car didn't look like someone took a 720S and pulled on the rear end well past the point of reason.
*250mph top speed The McLaren F1 hit 243mph (peak speed... official two-way average was 240.1mph)

As a huge fan of the McLaren F1, I'm far more impressed by the old car. They designed a completely bespoke car to be the best possible road car. They didn't intend for it to have the highest top speed, it just happened to surpass 240mph when the fastest cars to date were doing about 210mph. They didn't intend for it to be a great race car, it just happened to win Le Mans the first time out. All without even using turbos.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (10-29-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:24 AM

I am big fan of all these crazy cars that are coming out by McLaren, Mercedes, and Aston. For the few that get to own and drive them, mazel tov to them. This new McLaren is the equal to the F1 in its day IMO. Impressive how much technology has progressed in the last 20 years.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

I love that it's not some sort of top speed record car or track day monster. Just a hyper fast and high tech way to eat up miles of road.
mosesbotbol (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD89
I love that it's not some sort of top speed record car or track day monster. Just a hyper fast and high tech way to eat up miles of road.
It's got a seat for the wife and dog.... That's the minimum I need!
JamesD89 (10-26-2018)

Quick Reply: McLaren is killing it