Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mercedes AMG lineup

Old 05-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes AMG lineup

So I noticed in Car Talk that there is almost never any mention of any Mercedes AMG vehicles. I have always drooled like a newborn baby whenever I hear that V8/V12 exhaust coming from the 3 pointed star even if all MB offers are slush boxes

Since I am contemplating a CLK55, C55, or an E55 AMG in the near future (can't make up my damn mind), I'm starting to do some heavy researching on these cars. Do post up your opinion/experiences with any AMG vehicles
Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 PM

Pricey repairs, great power, It's a status car. Fast top speeds

F1 drivers drive these as their dailies usually lol
Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 PM

I have forgot to mention that I had took a ride in my friends brothers '01 Kleemann CLK55 waaay back in high school & I damn near sh!ted on myself from all that torque . That is what lead me to develop a interest in these cars
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I'll bite, if slightly off your specific request. My Dad has a CL600 (non-AMG model but plenty powerful) with the bi-turbo V12 and it is an absolute beast. Unending torque = massive fun in a straight line. The CL55 pulls just as hard, overall, and is more reliable as well. Honestly, the power is addictive. I can't speak to handling since the CL600, even with the fancy pneumatic suspension, is hardly a handler. It does well for a big car but it's not "fun". Brakes are fabulous as well, so you can safely handle the easy speed. Interiors are great, if a bit austere in all black (I'd go for brighter trim if possible). Amenities are great. Lots of nice features, well-built inside and out but repairs are going to cost a fortune.

Buy a CPO version if you get one.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Christople
Pricey repairs, great power, It's a status car. Fast top speeds

F1 drivers drive these as their dailies usually lol
Would you say maintenance might be more than an BMW M car, or about the same? If I remember right, I believe MB had a pretty low score as far as reliability goes. But I know there engines are damn near bulletproof
Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 AM

Take it for what it is, but I remember seeing that the MB AMG cars have the highest running costs per mile.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Traveldude
Take it for what it is, but I remember seeing that the MB AMG cars have the highest running costs per mile.
isn't part of that the horrendous gas mileage?

I actually came to the forum today to post about the new CLS. That thing is HOT for a luxury missile.

the AMG version should be nasty. You guys think this design will age well? IMO a lot of benzes look dated after a few years.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:10 AM

Expensive and built to stay that way, I see a lot of rich old ladies driving AMGs around here and they all seem to like them.

edit: But that doesn't mean they aren't awesome vehicles. I prefer my musclecars a little more raw though.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, AMG's tend to depreciate like rocks. Used ones can be a good value as long as you're cool w/ the operating costs.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Pretty much everyone said everything. Never buy new, their depreciation is ridiculous, and you'll take a bath on a CPOed one too. These cars are truly meant for people with alot of discretionary income and I think Merc wants to keep it that way. The engines are stout, however alot of cars these days have strong blocks, 90% of repairs these days usually have something to do with the peripherals and this car has alot of them that cost alot, and they all seem to have a higher propensity for failure.
Simply put, you either need to have a lot of money, or not as much but still alot and have a hookup on repairs.
I'm sure someone will chime in how they put 200K without a single problem and they track it every weekend and drive it to work through stop and go traffic 3 hours through death valley with the ac blowing and at highway speeds get 30 mpg and the only costly thing they had to do was replace the tires every 5-10k but it's worth it because this car loves to be thrashed and that everyone who thinks otherwise is completely unjustified because they're too poor or aren't true enthusiasts who understand how to properly maintain these cars.

Quick Reply: Mercedes AMG lineup