Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mercedes R500

Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The R63 is VERY rare. Any for sale ATM?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
It took me a second to even remember that truck. Never hear much about them.
My dad had a R500 for a bit, it's classified as Mercedes answer to minivan's but never quite caught on.

Yes the R63 AMG is the coveted rarest of rare models if you can find one.

They are bulletproof and super reliable. You buy cars like this for space so the R500 serves that purpose well.

Just make sure brakes and maintenance history are up to date and you are good to go.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM

OK, drove the 2007 R500 today and bought it. The car is in mint condition, white with tan leather and burled walnut. 5.0L V8 with 302 HP and 340 lb/ft. 35,761 miles. It's a CPO 1 owner car from the dealer who originally sold the car. All the service has been done at that dealer since new. The exterior is flawless and they replaced the tires (Conti 4X4 Contact), battery, brakes (front and rear), fluids change (oil, transmission, diffs, coolant), wiper blades, spark plugs, engine air filter, cabin air filter, transmission filter. Mercedes CPO program offers a 1 year max 100,000 mile warranty so it's essentially a 12 month 65,000 mile warranty in this case. So the car should be worry and cost free for a while with zero maintenance.

It's loaded with every option but the AMG package (appearance) and the DVD entertainment system (don't care). So.......
  • Leather
  • Panoramic Sunroof. Almost the entire roof is glass.
  • Navigation
  • Satellite Radio
  • Harman Kardon 5.1 surround sound w/subwoofer
  • 6 Disc CD Changer
  • Heated headlight washers
  • Bi-Xenon headlights
  • Curve tracking headlights
  • Curve tracking fog lights
  • Keyless start
  • Speed Sensitive Air Suspension (can also lift the entire car 3 inches for road clearance or drop the body at highway speeds)
  • ADS Adaptive Damping System (5 hundredths .05 second reaction time to changing road surfaces with sport and comfort settings)
  • 7 speed automatic with paddle shifters and sport or comfort shift patterns
  • Remote controlled liftgate
  • Rear console
  • Rear audio and climate controls
  • Telematics (Bluetooth hands free phone)
  • Parktronic front and rear parking sensors with audible and visual alerts.

The car drives really well for what it is. Supremely quiet and well planted. Not quick but capable. Steering not like an S2000 and a bit light but good feedback. Excellent visibility.

The price $28,500 (original MSRP was $63,450). Maybe a little high but I liked the total package.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I looked at these hard a couple of years ago. Really loved the overall package and never really saw it as all that mini van like, although I know it is supposed to be. I didn't buy one but I would still be happy to have one.

Nice choice!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

does anyone else think that the R class doesn't have that much space? 85 cubic ft. is pretty low for a minivan.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
does anyone else think that the R class doesn't have that much space? 85 cubic ft. is pretty low for a minivan.
Definitely not as much cargo space as a minivan but more than almost any SUV or crossover without the high step in height or center of gravity. I mean the thing can swallow a 4X8 sheet of plywood or hold 6 passengers in total comfort. And no minivan offers a 5.0L V8, 300 HP, 340 lb/ft of torque with paddle shifters, a 7 speed transmission and AWD. Also, no minivan has the appointments of a loaded R500.

On the downside, the R500 weighs 2.5 tons and is 5 inches longer than an Escalade. I've owned a Chrysler Town & Country, a Yukon Denali, and not one but two 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Limiteds (at the same time). The Pacificas were by far the favorite of the entire family. That's how this whole buying quest started out. I was trying to basically restart the clock on our remaining Pacifica Limited because we love the car so much. Unable to find a late model Pacifica with low miles at a good price, it finally occurred to me that the R Series Mercedes was designed at the same time by the same design team. I looked around and quickly realized that these R Series Mercedes lost value even faster than the Chrysler version and could be found with low miles relatively easily. Voila, I now own one. I intend to keep this thing for a decade. I love this design. With two kids, it has worked really well for road trips, vacations, skiing, and beach days as well as the occasional Home Depot duty. It's not the best at anything but pretty damned good at everything except looking sexy.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
and not one but two 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Limiteds (at the same time). The Pacificas were by far the favorite of the entire family.

Name:  UmpOi.gif
Views: 8
Size:  1.83 MB
Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 PM

Congrats on your newly purchased R500. It looks good from what I can see. I love Mercedes ride feel, it's trully a luxurious ride. I'm sure you and the family will have lots of fun with it.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Uncoolron
Congrats on your newly purchased R500. It looks good from what I can see. I love Mercedes ride feel, it's trully a luxurious ride. I'm sure you and the family will have lots of fun with it.
Thanks, I'm diggin my funny looking "Sports Tourer" even if it's not cool. The damned things are pretty useful for a lot of stuff.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1355624212' post='22213029

and not one but two 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Limiteds (at the same time). The Pacificas were by far the favorite of the entire family.

I know, I know, go ahead. I'm used to it. But try owning one of the Pacifica Limiteds with AWD loaded up with every option. The damned things are really useful, quiet, and comfy. The kids loved them for the room and my wife dumped a Yukon Denali for one. She liked the lower step in and more car like ride better than the GMC truck. I think people rejected the Pacifica and R Series on looks alone. If you try one for a family, you'll love it.

Quick Reply: Mercedes R500