Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mercedes R500

Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We looked at the R when it first came out. We liked it a lot, just too expensive at the time. Used it is a great buy. I have no doubt you will enjoy it.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 PM

We've had the R500 for a couple of days now. Very impressive. Mercedes did a great job on this car. Incredible power train. And nice attention to detail. Pity it didn't catch on for them. But if you're looking for a top notch family hauler. Look no further. These things take a massive depreciation hit. They are a bargain on the used market if you shop carefully.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:03 PM

May i ask why you would choose used R500 over a brandnew odyssey?
I know there is a price differences but personally if it was for the family use.... I would get a new odyssey with many options...
Old 12-26-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by cantsleep
I know there is a price differences but personally if it was for the family use.... I would get a new odyssey with many options...
Sure, I have no problem with minivans. We owned a Town & Country when the kids were small. The ugly loaves of bread are THE BEST at hauling big loads of people and kid crap. There is no contest. SUV's can't measure up. My wife loved it. And the Odyssey is probably the best example out there.

But, the kids are older now and we're not hauling porta cribs and strollers. So absolute volume isn't the top concern. This car is used for vacations with 4 people and ski trips. It's also my winter DD. We have a Thule cargo box for both skis and extra crap on vacations, sandy stuff from the beach, etc.

What the Odyssey (and every other minivan lacks) is a V8 engine and AWD. And I don't believe any minivan has a 7 speed automatic with paddle shifters. The R500 may look like a minivan or giant station wagon on the outside but it's actually built on a stretched Mercedes M class SUV platform. It has more room in the first two rows than an S Class sedan and up to 85 cu ft of cargo space. It only suffers in comparison to minivans and giant SUV's in the height of the cargo area. The floor square footage is similar. And that area from the top of the seats to the roof of a minivan is unusable anyway unless you're hauling something like a washing machine.

The normal ride height is like the Odyssey or a car @ 5.8 inches. So, easy entry and exit for my wife who is only 5' 3". But, I can hit a button and raise the whole car 3 inches for more ground clearance in deep snow or dirt roads. At highway speeds, the car actually lowers itself automatically for less drag and a lower center of gravity. It also has variable suspension settings (normal, sport, comfort) as well as normal and sport modes for the transmission. The R500 does not drive like a minivan. And what you lose in cargo space inside from the lower roof, you gain in easier access to our cargo box and roof rack.

And then there's the interior. I'm sorry but, Honda's don't come close to the level of luxury in the R-Class. Almost the entire roof is glass (panoramic sunroof). The first two rows are fantastic and even the 3rd row reclines. Access to the 3rd row is great without flipping and folding seats. The interior is leather and burled walnut from front to back. The door handles are backlit at night as are the cup holders. Little things but really nice. Also, our car has heated headlight washers to remove snow and salt. Rain sensing wipers. Auto Bi-Xenon headlights and fog lights that are linked to steering for cornering.

Like our Pacifica Limiteds, this vehicle format just seems to work really well for us as a family with two teenagers. For larger families or those with younger kids, I'd still give the nod to the Odyssey.

I admit the R500 is tough to put a label on. It kinda looks like a minivan without the sliding doors or a giant station wagon. And it pretty much behaves like an SUV without the truck look. And personally, I'm sick of seeing the two box SUV look thousands of time each day. Inside the R500 is more like a big luxury car. Handling is more car than SUV and definitely not minivan. It's a 50/50 torque split normally on essentially a rear drive setup. Steering assist is variable with speed. Adaptive suspension adjusts every 5/100ths of a second to changing road conditions. The windshield is humongous like a minivan. Sight lines are great all around. I can see why Mercedes & Chrysler eventually settled on the "Sports Tourer label for these things. They are a unique form of crossover.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ That makes perfect sense in my view. Good description.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbehney
^^ That makes perfect sense in my view. Good description.
I agree 100%!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by cantsleep' timestamp='1356498204' post='22229638
Sure, I have no problem with minivans. We owned a Town & Country when the kids were small. The ugly loaves of bread are THE BEST at hauling big loads of people and kid crap. There is no contest. SUV's can't measure up. My wife loved it. And the Odyssey is probably the best example out there.

But, the kids are older now and we're not hauling porta cribs and strollers. So absolute volume isn't the top concern. This car is used for vacations with 4 people and ski trips. It's also my winter DD. We have a Thule cargo box for both skis and extra crap on vacations, sandy stuff from the beach, etc.

What the Odyssey (and every other minivan lacks) is a V8 engine and AWD. And I don't believe any minivan has a 7 speed automatic with paddle shifters. The R500 may look like a minivan or giant station wagon on the outside but it's actually built on a stretched Mercedes M class SUV platform. It has more room in the first two rows than an S Class sedan and up to 85 cu ft of cargo space. It only suffers in comparison to minivans and giant SUV's in the height of the cargo area. The floor square footage is similar. And that area from the top of the seats to the roof of a minivan is unusable anyway unless you're hauling something like a washing machine.

The normal ride height is like the Odyssey or a car @ 5.8 inches. So, easy entry and exit for my wife who is only 5' 3". But, I can hit a button and raise the whole car 3 inches for more ground clearance in deep snow or dirt roads. At highway speeds, the car actually lowers itself automatically for less drag and a lower center of gravity. It also has variable suspension settings (normal, sport, comfort) as well as normal and sport modes for the transmission. The R500 does not drive like a minivan. And what you lose in cargo space inside from the lower roof, you gain in easier access to our cargo box and roof rack.

And then there's the interior. I'm sorry but, Honda's don't come close to the level of luxury in the R-Class. Almost the entire roof is glass (panoramic sunroof). The first two rows are fantastic and even the 3rd row reclines. Access to the 3rd row is great without flipping and folding seats. The interior is leather and burled walnut from front to back. The door handles are backlit at night as are the cup holders. Little things but really nice. Also, our car has heated headlight washers to remove snow and salt. Rain sensing wipers. Auto Bi-Xenon headlights and fog lights that are linked to steering for cornering.

Like our Pacifica Limiteds, this vehicle format just seems to work really well for us as a family with two teenagers. For larger families or those with younger kids, I'd still give the nod to the Odyssey.

I admit the R500 is tough to put a label on. It kinda looks like a minivan without the sliding doors or a giant station wagon. And it pretty much behaves like an SUV without the truck look. And personally, I'm sick of seeing the two box SUV look thousands of time each day. Inside the R500 is more like a big luxury car. Handling is more car than SUV and definitely not minivan. It's a 50/50 torque split normally on essentially a rear drive setup. Steering assist is variable with speed. Adaptive suspension adjusts every 5/100ths of a second to changing road conditions. The windshield is humongous like a minivan. Sight lines are great all around. I can see why Mercedes & Chrysler eventually settled on the "Sports Tourer label for these things. They are a unique form of crossover.