Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Monthly Car Payments, Your comfort level?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TofuProductions
The weird thing is, I guess this stuck with me since I was first started driving and only had my debit card, whenever I used the debit card at the pumps, it wouldn't deduct my amount out until days later, and granted since at that age (I think I was 17 or so..) I didn't have much of an established income on my own, and I was more or less new to budgeting efficiently, so I decided since then to just pay cash as I knew it was money already 'spent' when I pulled it out of the ATM or bank.

Of course now with my credit cards, I could open up another one at let's say a Shell or something, which like you stated, makes perfect sense. I'm just a creature of habit which is the only reason why I have not - ideally it would work out quite well to get those rewards back as my commute is the same year around, with a tad more in the summer due to driving the S2000 off and on parallel with the Lexus, and with the Lexus consuming far less gas than the S2000.

All in all, habit, as more than anything, but I've yet to research much on which gas card is better in terms of rewards (if any).. Probably something I'll start doing!
i currently have over 440k in points from my credit card... trust me, use a CC and pay it off every month. It's worth it. I havn't paid for a flight in a long time lol
Old 01-17-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
i currently have over 440k in points from my credit card... trust me, use a CC and pay it off every month. It's worth it. I havn't paid for a flight in a long time lol
Haha, I hear you there.
I have quite a few cards, ranging from AMEX to Visa, etc.. Always paid in full every month. I've only rarely had a month or two in the past ten years where I had a small lingering balance and this was in my early college years due to paying for probably books or something of that nature. Most the cc cards I have are the ones with cash back, I think I only have one that has rewards towards mileage/air travel. That's one thing I would love to do more though is actually travel more, wasn't into seeing the sights much when I was young, though my parents took me along when we traveled the across the contiguous 48 and definitely overseas to visit family and family friends. I guess now as I'm older, I definitely appreciate it more, just want to make the time to do so!

I realistically don't spend much in gas as my commute to work is 20 minutes (10-15 miles round trip) and the Lexus probably only costs me no more than 50 bucks per month which includes work commute and the daily errands that are involved. Once the winter weather disappears and the S2000 comes out again, I'm sure the gas expense will go up . The bike takes little to no gas as it is except on track days.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I only use CC's for big stuff I may want added protection on or if someone else is paying me back on it. I do a lot of international travel for work and use a hotel branded CC to pay for flights and hotels under their umbrella. It affords us to stay at fine resorts & hotels globally often for free when travelling for leisure. I also like the 0 foreign transaction fees as I buy a lot of stuff from all over the place...

CC debt is one of the worst things someone can carry over their shoulder. It's not worth whatever you bought if you had to pay months of interest on. I like paying cash, but it's easier on taxes if it was on a CC for accounting later on. If I miss out on points because I didn't use a certain card; so be it.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
CC debt is one of the worst things someone can carry over their shoulder. It's not worth whatever you bought if you had to pay months of interest on. I like paying cash, but it's easier on taxes if it was on a CC for accounting later on. If I miss out on points because I didn't use a certain card; so be it.
One of the finance writers did the math on purchasing something on a CC and paying only the minimum until it was paid off. The "cost" literally doubled. I'm a charge and pay in full guy, usually get around $1200/yr in cashback. I'll open an airline card and charge the minimum amount needed to get for free miles, then go back to my regular card which pays 2/3/4% cashback depending on where you use it. I also have 5% off cards at Target and a couple of other places. They pay me well to use them, and I don't pay them a penny in interest.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I was the same way cash and debit card. Then I finally gave in and got a cc and yeah it paid for my ticket to Europe doing nothing but having to log in at the end of the month and paying off the card. Now I will admit though that having said credit card made me a bit looser in spending which im correcting right now after the holidays lol but I'm sure you won't have a problem with it.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
One of the finance writers did the math on purchasing something on a CC and paying only the minimum until it was paid off. The "cost" literally doubled. I'm a charge and pay in full guy, usually get around $1200/yr in cashback. I'll open an airline card and charge the minimum amount needed to get for free miles, then go back to my regular card which pays 2/3/4% cashback depending on where you use it. I also have 5% off cards at Target and a couple of other places. They pay me well to use them, and I don't pay them a penny in interest.
rad
Old 02-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My current $75 a month total (insurance only) for my S2k and DD.

Lol
Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Currently the market price for a 997.2 GT3... Some are still in the $120k range.

991.1 GT3's i dont see dipping below $130k for another year or two maybe.
I think the 991.1 GT3 may settle below 997.2 GT3 value. Worries about engine reliability (fixed with G series) and the model's higher production volume are the main factors. I expect warranty expiration will hit the 991.1 GT3 hard.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88
I think the 991.1 GT3 may settle below 997.2 GT3 value. Worries about engine reliability (fixed with G series) and the model's higher production volume are the main factors. I expect warranty expiration will hit the 991.1 GT3 hard.
I agree, I think ultimately the 991.1 will take a dump when the 991.2 comes out. The 997 is a different driving feeling than 991 and not made anymore. I passed on a 35K mile one for 115. I sold a 997.2 GT3 a few months ago for 125K with 16K miles.