Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

More HP for Miata? Yes please.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

@white If i recall correctly, most 4 lug accords are 2800lb or under.

Overall I do not think an increase in power will affect the chassis/drive train at all. Tolerances and rigidity with new cars should be very good, especially with open top roadsters.
It's not a older chassis design like datsun or rwd corolla.

I'm not sure how it happened but a friend managed to twist the frame a little bit with just a F20 ap1 motor in it... Which should have similar twisting forces to the 4age motors which isn't much. Was on a KE71 which is the about 5-10yr before the AE86

edit: @roel ah makes sense.

Last edited by EffWun; 03-07-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy
Exactly.

My point is that if people think a minor power bump is enough to change the lifespan or safety of these components that it must be built like a porcelain doll with only 155 horsepower as is.
I think it's worth pointing out that the ND has had significant issues with it's manual transmissions grenading gears. Last I checked they had not figured out a solution for this problem. This is at the stock 155hp. So they might be more of a porcelain doll than your realize.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
I think it's worth pointing out that the ND has had significant issues with it's manual transmissions grenading gears. Last I checked they had not figured out a solution for this problem. This is at the stock 155hp. So they might be more of a porcelain doll than your realize.
Well, I don't know if what I was reading correct, but the supposed cause was a problem with metallurgy of an early batch of gears and not the design of the transmission itself and Mazda remedied most cars. As far as I know, subsequent transmissions after the first problem cars have not had similar issues after the problem was diagnosed.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by EffWun
@white If i recall correctly, most 4 lug accords are 2800lb or under.
The '98-02 gen Accord had 4-lugs on all 4-cyl. cars. According to Edmunds it was up to 3,164lbs for an EX auto w/leather.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Well, I don't know if what I was reading correct, but the supposed cause was a problem with metallurgy of an early batch of gears and not the design of the transmission itself and Mazda remedied most cars. As far as I know, subsequent transmissions after the first problem cars have not had similar issues after the problem was diagnosed.
While I was following the problem, some people (racers) had managed to destroy multiple revisions of transmissions. It sounded really frustrating and was enough to turn me off of the ND for the time being. If they sorted it out, that would be welcome news.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah I find that surprising given the low torque. But if it was a manufacturing flaw it sometimes doesn't take much. Actually as an aside the stub hubs I just got for my build had a flaw and was thankfully discovered by manufacturer before I installed or used. When made properly should be able to handle practically any power but with the flaw could maybe just be cruising down the highway and have a wheel go flying off.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Road and Track:

The result, says Otsuka, is a 2.0-liter prototype Skyactiv-X engine that sips fuel like a 1.5-liter but makes power comparable to a 2.5-liter. With fine-grained computer control allowing the engine to run in compression-ignition mode under most driving conditions, the lean-burn engine returns notable efficiency without a decrease in power or performance. Unlike a conventional engine, the Skyactiv-X is efficient across nearly its full RPM range, allowing engineers to pair shorter gear ratios for more responsive acceleration.

Plus, says Yamane, from the driver's seat you can't even tell when the engine switches between conventional and compression-ignition modes. It's linear and responsive with no quirky behavior. And, he says, "the engine sounds really good."Mazda hasn't said exactly when Skyactiv-X will appear in a production model, nor which vehicle will get the engine first. But Otsuka said the technology will eventually expand to the full Mazda lineup—including the MX-5 Miata.

I suppose it will take five years.