Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Moved from an MCS to a 335i

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey I like black wheels

back on topic: OP, nice pick-up and I hope you won't have to go through the same issues like me. My 2007 E90 is a POS. There are numerous headaches I've gone through to keep mine in "OK" condition. I think I'm about to go through a third set of turbos because my wastegates keep crapping out. It's a known issue with this car. Enjoy yours while it's trouble-free.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the adult perspective a few of you are bringing to the conversation.

It's a third car in a two driver family. I have a four-year-old and was ready to move to a sedan with an auto. I leave the car at work and drive it when I need to run daytime errands. My mom lives an hour away, so we will load up the kid and use it to drive down to see her. I got 36.7mpg on that run two weeks ago. With the brick chrome wheels . And let's be honest here. If you "opinions" walked the talk, you would all be rolling lightweight 16's. And you know what, I am more than happy with way the car accelerates. I can't believe guys driving cars running 0-60 in just under six seconds are giving me advice on how to be quicker.

I get the perspective on the chrome wheels. But have you ever seen another 3 series with the chrome wheels? Nope, me neither. That in-and-of itself makes them unique and, in way, personalized. Because that is the point of appearance mods anyway, right, to make your car unique? The chrome wheels do that just fine. I'm not a face in the crowd nor am I a trend following sheep. And why would I go through the effort of tracking down painted wheels to replace a pristine set of wheels already on the car. That isn't a good financial decision. Are you paying my bills, or just spending my money, because, you know, you're smarter than me. Yeah, that's what I thought. Beside, apparently I'm going to need to save all my money to service this money pit.

"cheap and tacky." Stay classy, bro. One day you might move out of your mom's apartment. "Euro-rice" is a mixed metaphor. It doesn't work. If you are looking to insult someone, it helps to start with an IQ above 96. Go ask your mom for some help next time.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Thats an awesome car when it is functioning properly.

If you like the chrome then that is all that matters. Enjoy your ride.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck with the car. I have had two 335's that have been problem free.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Aluminum doesn't rust the way steel can. I don't know if you knew that. Aluminum is a soft material, but putting paint on it doesn't protect it from impact and abrasion damage that you'd want on a wheel. Chrome, on the other hand, provides a tough, protective layer that is resistant to corrosion, impacts, and abrasions. Paint on aluminum is a purely cosmetic layer, unlike chrome on wheels or paint on steel body panels. (Some aluminum alloys can develop a chalky layer when exposed to salt, so a clear coat over a polished surface is recommended for low maintenance.)

Once again, your ignorance just shines and shines when you argue for the sake of arguing.

Ever heard of oxidation? Of course painting wheels is for cosmetic purposes, as many things are. You have a nice shiny pretty car, but then the wheels get all dull looking after time, hence paint/clear coat. People paint aluminum wheels because they don't like the look of chrome. duh. Your last sentence is amazingly ironic.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Aluminum doesn't rust the way steel can. I don't know if you knew that. Aluminum is a soft material, but putting paint on it doesn't protect it from impact and abrasion damage that you'd want on a wheel. Chrome, on the other hand, provides a tough, protective layer that is resistant to corrosion, impacts, and abrasions. Paint on aluminum is a purely cosmetic layer, unlike chrome on wheels or paint on steel body panels. (Some aluminum alloys can develop a chalky layer when exposed to salt, so a clear coat over a polished surface is recommended for low maintenance.)

Once again, your ignorance just shines and shines when you argue for the sake of arguing.
That's why I said corroding/rotting/pitting, not just corrosion. Reading is your friend! Aluminum pits under harsh conditions.

Paint does indeed protect a wheel from basic damage. It won't stop a baseball bat or a tire iron from doing damage but basic rock, dirt, tar and light impacts can readily be absorbed or resisted by paint. Typical paint won't stop serious damage on any material. Check out the aluminum panels on an S2000 and tell me that the paint isn't protecting it, not to mention the standard wheels.

Chrome is prone to chipping and/or flaking. It's hardly the ideal coating unless you go with a true industrial chrome product, which is nothing like basic chrome put on consumer wheels. Surface prep is critical and there are a lot of crappy chrome shops out there, that's for sure.

Again, you're just blowing smoke, ignoring what was said and trying to pretend you actually have a clue.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nin009
"cheap and tacky." Stay classy, bro. One day you might move out of your mom's apartment. "Euro-rice" is a mixed metaphor. It doesn't work. If you are looking to insult someone, it helps to start with an IQ above 96. Go ask your mom for some help next time
Meh - no reason to get your panties bunched up bro. As I stated in my post, it's just another opinion among many.

Just out of curiosity, if you bought this car with stock wheels,, and you wanted aftermarket wheels, would you have even considered buying the chromes you have now? If so, I apologize for insulting your "taste".

But I have a feeling you only have those things because you got a good deal on the car.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM

Congrats on your new car, very nice.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase. If you like chrome wheels so be it most of the crap i see on s2ki now makes me throw up in my mouth.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The last set of chrome wheel I had was my 2001 chrylser minivan. I think they look fine, and they were free and unique.

I have been researching a 335i for a couple of years , driven several, and go back and forth between that and an M3. I like the car, have heard stories about maintenance and it is just the cost of doing business with such a nice car, enjoy, it's 8/10ths an m3 and well worth owning.