Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

MP4-12C vs 458 Italia

Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP4-12C vs 458 Italia

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/27/f...ali/#continued
Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Disappointment would be an understatement!! The reviews so far have been abysmmal!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

goes to show that NA > turbo

jk I would dangle a baby out of a window for either one.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM

A few thoughts from someone who will never buy either.
1. I wonder if the Corvette dampers (the mag dampers used by Ferrari) would help the McLaren.
2. I wonder how both would compare to the old McLaren F1.
3. The Ferrari sure sounds good. Not LFA good but good.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 AM

Addressing thoughts above in order:

1A) The car doesn't have anti roll bars... it uses a system that basically pushing fluid towards the cornering wheel from the wheel that has less weight on it. The mag ride is a very different system and is very good but not as good as this. This is engineering brilliance.

2A) This car will never and I repeat never be what the old McLaren was. That was a race car designed to be barely street legal with no radio or any of the common luxuries you see in these two cars. The older Mclaren also carried a much higher price premium over what these two cars cost today. The BMW engine alone was something of a work of art. These cars are 200-300k cars (mark ups for both).... Sure that sounds like a great deal of money but it's no where near the cool million dollar price tag that the F1 required. Technology has sure changed since the F1's debut back in 1992 and these two cars prove it, but they're no F1. I'd like to see a comparison but I'm sure the older one would win. It was much much lighter.

3A) Agreed... I'm sure the Ferrari is a much more "livelier" car, and faster around a track, but it really is Lexus's first super car... give them a chance! I love seeing new companies come into a market and thrive... last time I checked, the LF-A was sold out.

My personal thoughts on the car: I love the McLaren... It's just how I feel. I can't really back up why I feel like that but I just do. Simple. From the trick braking system in the rear to a really comfortable ride around town (no anti roll bars) it just looks like a complete package in that price range.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by omairtheman1
2A) This car will never and I repeat never be what the old McLaren was. That was a race car designed to be barely street legal with no radio or any of the common luxuries you see in these two cars.
No it wasn't. It was designed to be a very streetable/somewhat-practical ROAD car. It DID have a stereo, it had A/C, it had three seats. Gordon Murray had no intention of compromising its capabilities as a real-world road car in the interests of racing it. They *did*, however, make a fantastic race car out of it.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenstyle
jk I would dangle a baby out of a window for either one.
Michael Jackson lives!!!

I'd take the 458 in a heartbeat - looks better (IMO), sounds better, and is more exciting. I've always thought the MP4 looked like a big Elise.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 AM

I love the transmission choices!!!! They would be great if I were an old lady.

But I would love to beat the shit out of either one and return it to the owner after an hour or two.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishfryer
But I would love to beat the shit out of either one and return it to the owner after an hour or two.
You can (at least the 458) for a some thousand bucks.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to me like the main grind against this car is the intrusiveness of the electronic driving aids. The hardware itself seems to work as advertised. I see this car as a V1.0 from McLaren. I suspect they will get things better sorted out in the upcoming years - hopefully.

Quick Reply: MP4-12C vs 458 Italia