Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

MT: Hyundai Genesis beats Camaro, Stang & Challeng

Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's how they summed it up, which explains their choice despite the acceleration/braking numbers that favored the Mustang:
"1st place: Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Track
The only one that looks and feels like a sports car. Surprise, we liked it best."

Some thoughts about the Mustang vs Genesis:
- Nearly identical weight (3464 vs 3476)
- Nearly identical power (305 vs 306)
- Based on torque peak point (lower and greater on the Mustang) and rev range (higher on the Mustang,) I'm guessing the Mustang has "more area under the curve" but we'd have to see dyno sheets to really tell.
- Nearly identical weight/power ratios (11.357 vs 11.359.) But my guess is the above point might give the Mustang an advantage that isn't shown by peak power numbers.
- The Genesis has the tightest steering ratio - 14.9, identical to AP2 S2000s. (AP1 and CR has 13.8, btw.) This could be a factor in giving the Genesis a much more sporty feel.
- The Genesis has a staggered tire setup of 225/245, while the Mustang has 255s all around. This could effect the handling balance of each, again giving the Genesis a more sport feel despite limiting performance.
- With the larger tires, again the performance advantage goes to the Mustang in acceleration and skid-pad. (But how do PZeros compare to RE050As?)
- Having 255s up front is obviously a huge advantage for the Mustang in braking distance. On the other hand, considering that and the brake rotor size differences, I would guess that the Genesis brakes will take more laps to fade than the Mustang.

I think it comes down to personal preference, ultimately. There's no clearly superior car. (Except for the Mustang being $6k cheaper.)
Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2...s-coupe-38.html

I rather have a Mustang... the numbers in the 3.8 genesis don't make sense

and LOL @ that thread that said genesis was quicker then a stock S2k...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx,Apr 14 2010, 12:24 PM
that handling edge was likely due to the crappy wheel/tire package that the mustang wears..

Other than that, Mustang was better in every category. Just look at the trap speed... that's not even close.. That is SERIOUSLY impressive from their base model engine..

and to me, the Genesis looks liked a cancerous G37... sorry, not biting.
It had Pirelli P-Zeros. Hardly crappy.

Straight line speed isn't everything in a sports car. Yes, the Mustang is quicker in a 1/4 mile drag race but it was marginally slower around the figure-eight track. They said the Genesis felt more like a sports car and apparently it handled a little better as well.

You don't have to like it. I don't have to like it. However, I don't think it was such a clear win for the Mustang like others are inferring.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Although the new mustangs 5.0 are tempting, I think I would choose the genesis out of the three
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Apr 14 2010, 10:48 AM
It had Pirelli P-Zeros. Hardly crappy.

Straight line speed isn't everything in a sports car. Yes, the Mustang is quicker in a 1/4 mile drag race but it was marginally slower around the figure-eight track. They said the Genesis felt more like a sports car and apparently it handled a little better as well.

You don't have to like it. I don't have to like it. However, I don't think it was such a clear win for the Mustang like others are inferring.
The mustang, the challenger and maybe even the camaro were not meant to be sports cars. They are muscle cars.. Look at their intro.. They were talking about muscle cars, and all of sudden, it became, well the Genesis is the best sports car..

If they wanted to compare "sports cars" then they should have compared it to "sports cars" (think 370z here)
Old 04-14-2010, 11:42 AM

I'd take the Genesis, too.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Apr 14 2010, 10:12 AM
I'd take the the gen v6 over the stang v6 mostly because I don't believe in buying V6 mustangs not because they're not capable, but because you'll always feel inadequate next to a GT which really isn't priced that much more. With that said, i'd easily take the stang gt 5.0 and pay the difference over both cars, however the gen coupe v6 can be had for a decent amount cheaper, seems liek the mustangs when they're on the lots cost a lot more than the 31K starting point.
^ This right here.

I'm a huge fan of the upcoming Mustang, but a high performance muscle car needs a v8 (or maybe a turbo 6). I wouldn't doubt that the Gen coupe feels like a tighter package overall vs the v6 stang; that's not what muscle cars are about.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM

top model Gen vs. lowest model mustang, totally unfair comparison.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Apr 14 2010, 01:02 PM
top model Gen vs. lowest model mustang, totally unfair comparison.
V6 coupe vs. V6 coupe, seems fair to me. Unfair or not, the base Mustang wins every relevant category except the figure-8. And that is a construct of the magazine, not sure how objective those results are as nobody else is doing it.

Now if you *want* totally unfair, compare the top level Mustang to the top level Genesis coupe.

I find it odd that this comparison gives the Hyundai the win purely for "feel" when other comparisons don't seem all that impressed by the Hyundai when compared to the competition.

FWIW, I think passing on the V6 Mustang because a V8 is available is silly. If you are in the market for a V6 coupe, it's a great option. The fact that you could spend more money and get a V8 has no effect on the car you are buying. There's *always* a faster car. You might as well carry that as far as possible - "I'd buy a V6 Mustang but there's a V8 offered and I would always feel bad for not having it. But I can't buy a V8 Mustang because there is a V8 Corvette offered, and I would always feel bad for not having it. I would buy a V8 Corvette but there is a V10 Lamborghini offered, and I would always feel bad for not having it. I'd buy a V10 Lamborghini but there is a V12 Ferrari offered, and I would feel bad for not having it. I'd get the V12 Ferrari, but there is a V16 Bugatti available, and I would feel bad for not having one."

See, it just gets silly. At some point in your life you have to man up and stop worrying about what other people have.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Apr 14 2010, 02:03 PM
The Genesis handled better around their little figure-eight track. It was nearly as quick in a straight line, nearly as grippy, and apparently did drive lighter on its feet.

Not saying I wouldn't take the Mustang but the Genesis is arguably better looking as well, so it has a lot going for it.

Still, for $31K, you can get a Mustang GT with the 5.0L, can't you? Practically as light, equal handling, and way quicker....
that's why i'd get the 5L GT, then add a supercharger...

Quick Reply: MT: Hyundai Genesis beats Camaro, Stang & Challeng