Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

MT: Hyundai Genesis beats Camaro, Stang & Challeng

Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Apr 14 2010, 12:03 PM
V6 coupe vs. V6 coupe, seems fair to me. Unfair or not, the base Mustang wins every relevant category except the figure-8. And that is a construct of the magazine, not sure how objective those results are as nobody else is doing it.

Now if you *want* totally unfair, compare the top level Mustang to the top level Genesis coupe.

I find it odd that this comparison gives the Hyundai the win purely for "feel" when other comparisons don't seem all that impressed by the Hyundai when compared to the competition.

FWIW, I think passing on the V6 Mustang because a V8 is available is silly. If you are in the market for a V6 coupe, it's a great option. The fact that you could spend more money and get a V8 has no effect on the car you are buying. There's *always* a faster car. You might as well carry that as far as possible - "I'd buy a V6 Mustang but there's a V8 offered and I would always feel bad for not having it. But I can't buy a V8 Mustang because there is a V8 Corvette offered, and I would always feel bad for not having it. I would buy a V8 Corvette but there is a V10 Lamborghini offered, and I would always feel bad for not having it. I'd buy a V10 Lamborghini but there is a V12 Ferrari offered, and I would feel bad for not having it. I'd get the V12 Ferrari, but there is a V16 Bugatti available, and I would feel bad for not having one."

See, it just gets silly. At some point in your life you have to man up and stop worrying about what other people have.
I cant say I know what the MSRP of the V8 stang/camaros are, but what I meant to say is:

The V6 mustang/camaro are NOT the top of the line models, so they dont come with the perks of being "top model" such as better tires, brakes, steering, suspension, etc. the V6 models of the muscle cars are usually aimed at soccer moms with a midlife crisis or a high school grad. Not saying the V6's are slow, they sure arent anymore, but i dont consider them sports cars. At the most, they're fast sedan/coupes.

I think the two shouldnt be compared from a performance standpoint, unless the price is ungodly close, which its not.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

None of these cars should remotely be considered a "sports car".

If I had to have one, it'd be the Hyundai. Though it's no lighter than the Mustang, it has IRS. Also, it's the only one that doesn't have the basic proportions of a freaking BRICK.

A pity they benchmarked the G35, wish they'd aimed at the S13 240SX...
Old 04-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Apr 14 2010, 06:38 PM
None of these cars should remotely be considered a "sports car".

If I had to have one, it'd be the Hyundai. Though it's no lighter than the Mustang, it has IRS. Also, it's the only one that doesn't have the basic proportions of a freaking BRICK.

A pity they benchmarked the G35, wish they'd aimed at the S13 240SX...
Are you living in the past? A S13 would have been eaten alive by this group.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd put the kids in the Genesis and head to the track
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Apr 14 2010, 05:45 PM
I cant say I know what the MSRP of the V8 stang/camaros are, but what I meant to say is:

The V6 mustang/camaro are NOT the top of the line models, so they dont come with the perks of being "top model" such as better tires, brakes, steering, suspension, etc. the V6 models of the muscle cars are usually aimed at soccer moms with a midlife crisis or a high school grad. Not saying the V6's are slow, they sure arent anymore, but i dont consider them sports cars. At the most, they're fast sedan/coupes.

I think the two shouldnt be compared from a performance standpoint, unless the price is ungodly close, which its not.
Why shouldn't they be compared? Because the base V6 Mustang beats the Genesis handily in every performance category recognized by the world at large? While also being much cheaper to boot.

Your idea of who buys the V6 Mustang pretty much aligns with my idea of who buys the Genesis coupe. Funny, that.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Score one for Ford
Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gen Coupe FTW
Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 AM

I haven't had a chance to read the article but I certainly don't see any reason why the Hyundai shouldn't compared. A buyer of a semi-practical sporty car for $30k certainly could look at four of these cars. I can see the arguments that the lower level Mustang doesn't have all the features that might be included on a high end Mustang and that might be included on the V6 Gen Coupe as it is the high end version. Still, I think of these things in terms of similar cost competition.
However, because the Ford has more tricks in the bag we shouldn't look at these results as absolute (but of course fanbois of all sorts will). Adding a few more dollars to the Mustang gets you something you simply can't get witht eh Hyundai, a V8.
One other point, the comment about not getting the V6 Mustang is interesting. On one hand I do understand because the non-V8 Mustangs have always been well kind of lame (SVO excepted). The new V6 Mustang, for the first time isn't. So thanks to the historical lameness of the non-V8 motors I can understand the bias against the V6. On the other hand the idea that non-getting the top Mustang motor also struck me as off. Ever since the first Cobra came out in the 1990s the GT hasn't been the top motor. So it doesn't make sense to me to claim that it's wrong to get the V6 because there is a better motor. That same logic could be applied to the GT as the Cobra is still a step up.
Of course I would still have trouble buying a V6 Mustang so I can't claim to be unbiased
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BPUKiller,Apr 14 2010, 07:21 PM
Are you living in the past? A S13 would have been eaten alive by this group.
I'd rather have new 2700 lb. S13, even with only 155hp, than any of these hulking behemoths. Of course, with a turbo-4, 250hp or more should be expected in a modern version
Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm curious as to why they didn't include a 370Z with the sport package since it has a V6 and is a coupe and costs roughly the same as the Genesis Coupe in the test. It would have compared favorably in all regards and probably would've beat them all.

Quick Reply: MT: Hyundai Genesis beats Camaro, Stang & Challeng