Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My Evo Experience

Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice buy, but it does need a wing imo.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked Evolutions but I still haven't driven one. Seems like it makes a great daily with great performance to boot.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice, always liked the EVO VIII & IX. Looks like you found a good one. And 400 whp, wow thats going to be awesome. the sleeper no wing look. The wing looks so played out now days, to much attention.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Just sold my Evo a bit over a month ago. Not an RS, but you're absolutely right - they're insane in every aspect. I had full bolt-on mods and then a street tune for 26-28psi and if you arent prepared for the turbo it can make your neck sore. Mine was a little shotty right when I got it so it wasn't going to stick around... pretty much a scratch I needed to itch. Beautiful find though
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nightwalker
Congratulations on your purchase. You got a sweet deal. I own a 2003 GSR with 206,000 miles on it. (30 psi, and daily driven btw) I've had it for 8 years now and still love it as much as when I first bought it. 4G63 motors are tanks, and the Evo version is the absolute best. All my drivetrain is original, and the motor has never been opened. The transfercase problems are owner inflicted and not the car's fault. I am on my 3rd clutch though. Do your car favor and only use DIAQUEEN in your drivetrain. I would advise you learn as much as you can about running E85 in your Evo. There is more required maintenance. But with more power, the Evo just gets better. I can't describe it to you, but you'll soon experience it.
Nice! 206k miles and still runnin' strong huh? I'm at 27 PSI right now, need to upgrade my intake + BOV + cams to hit about 420-430 whp on 30 psi. I do plan to open the motor and do head studs, valves + retainers, and GSC S2 cams. I'll rev to 8300 RPM if it actually makes more power.

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
First the e30, now this? You're doing it all right
Thank you sir, I appreciate it!!

Originally Posted by Alex S2000
very nice, always liked the EVO VIII & IX. Looks like you found a good one. And 400 whp, wow thats going to be awesome. the sleeper no wing look. The wing looks so played out now days, to much attention.

Originally Posted by stauren1203
Just sold my Evo a bit over a month ago. Not an RS, but you're absolutely right - they're insane in every aspect. I had full bolt-on mods and then a street tune for 26-28psi and if you arent prepared for the turbo it can make your neck sore. Mine was a little shotty right when I got it so it wasn't going to stick around... pretty much a scratch I needed to itch. Beautiful find though
Thanks guys!

Bit of an update... I got tuned last Thursday on 91.

91 pump: 320 whp/327 wtq (economy tune)
E85: 371 whp/356 wtq

I'm very, very happy. But I still want more. So I'll be changing my intake, BOV, bigger cams, springs + retainers, and ARP head studs (maybe more) and retuning in the next month or two.

I'll post up dynos when I get them tomorrow. The powerband is so smooth and linear! Absolutely perfect. And I get 25-26 mpg on the freeway at under 70 MPH on E85.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Traded my Evo 8 MR in for my S2000.

The MR DOES have LSD in the front. Its called ACD(Active Center Differential). I replaced the transfer-case twice in 1 year, I know all bout the 11 slipping discs in that POS with the gay mitsu LSD fluid it HAS to have.

the day I traded that garbage in for the S was a blessed day.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing
Traded my Evo 8 MR in for my S2000.

The MR DOES have LSD in the front. Its called ACD(Active Center Differential). I replaced the transfer-case twice in 1 year, I know all bout the 11 slipping discs in that POS with the gay mitsu LSD fluid it HAS to have.

the day I traded that garbage in for the S was a blessed day.

You're half right. No 04's had LSD in the front except for the RS (04's had no ACD.)

ACD is NOT a front LSD. It is a CENTER differential which controls power bias between front and rear wheels for different types of road (tarmac, gravel, snow.)

So I have a front LSD, ACD-less Evo 8.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM

I've owned my 2006 Evo IX SE since new - just over 6 years now. I still have 4 years and 75,000 mi left on the factory powertrain warranty. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The only thing I have had to get fixed under warranty was to get the steering wheel replaced at about year 2 when the lower center seam in the leather started peeling.

I've never done any mods to it other than replace the OE KYB shocks with the OE MR Bilsteins. I think the stock power is more than adequate. Mine may be the only bone stock Evo IX left in the US.

Andrew
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
I've owned my 2006 Evo IX SE since new - just over 6 years now. I still have 4 years and 75,000 mi left on the factory powertrain warranty. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The only thing I have had to get fixed under warranty was to get the steering wheel replaced at about year 2 when the lower center seam in the leather started peeling.

I've never done any mods to it other than replace the OE KYB shocks with the OE MR Bilsteins. I think the stock power is more than adequate. Mine may be the only bone stock Evo IX left in the US.

Andrew
Funny, I've also owned my 2006 Evo IX SE since new, and my only warranty claim was for the leather separating on the steering wheel as well. Otherwise, 81,000 truly trouble-free miles. Amazing.

Make that 1 more bone stock Evo IX left in the US
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aklucsarits

Andrew
It's funny but when I returned my IX back to stock shortly before I sold it (had turbo back and tune prior and springs), I enjoyed it much more in its stock form than when it had a super loud exhaust with massive drone - it was truly an incredible car, especially when the turbo spools up and whistles and you watch the tach shoot up from 3200rpm+. I actually miss my Evo a lot nowadays.

Quick Reply: My Evo Experience