Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My new DD: 2015 WRX

Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Default My new DD: 2015 WRX

Just picked up my 2015 WRX last night from Ramsey Subaru ($500 under invoice, Clayton over there is great!).

Small background: I drive roughly 20k/year on my main car. My work truck (Pilot) hit 35 miles in 8 months. Also I drive into NYC a lot. The roads suck (pothole city) & the drivers suck.

I was trying to decide between this car and a used b8 s4. I need sporty + comfort for my commute. I have the Exige when i want a real sports car. Decided against the b8 s4 b.c of crap reliability and it was about $8-9k more.

Interior:

Big upgrade! The doors and headliners still feel cheap tho. The rest of the car looks and feels nicer. The Steering wheel is a big upgrade as well. Much quieter and NO rattles (yeah I know that's a first for Subaru). Soft touch plastics on the dash as well.
Nav sucks but the Harmon kardon system is decent. I'd say a slight step down from the HK systems you get in BMWs.

Exterior:

Ehhh. All wrx/sti have been ugly cars that have a weird touch of prettiness to it lol. But in general I like it. Looks aggressive but toned down. Aka not a kids car anymore. I'm happy I got the dark grey metallic. IMO the blue is too boy racer. In a dark color the car is more grown up.

My one and only complaint about the exterior is the ugly hideous wheels. I would upgrade but I'd rather not with the shitty ny roads.

Driving:

Holy crap I'm surprised. Didn't beat on it too much obviously bc of break in. Drove roughly 140 miles since last night.
I've driven a 07 sti, 11 wrx, 11 sti. All modded. & I hated them for one reason or another. Most had suspensions that were too jittery, or rattles everywhere, or a shitty notchy transmission.

This new wrx has a very smooth shifter & short clutch. Very easy to DD. Not as easy as a Audi/bmw clutch but I'd say 70% there.
The turbo lag is non existent. Holy crap does it spool quick. This new motor is great. At 4500 rpms it hits 17/18 psi. Feels pretty quick. Can't wait for aftermarket tunes.

Steering is precise and turn in is great.

One thing I was worried about was wind/road noise. The old wrx/sti had this in abundance. Now it more muted. Slight wind noise is there. Road noise is muffled except for the tires. Tires are loud. I'm swapping these out for the hankooks Ventus s1 noble 2s today. All seasons. Better comfort, ride quality, & life. I don't want to deal with swapping tires for winter/summer. In heavy snow I have the pilot.

Best part? I got 31 mpg on the drive back from the dealer (70 miles) with traffic in a couple of places.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 AM

Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, I hear a lot of positive feedback on the new model. Its definitely a big, grown up car.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ooohh, I like the new gauges. Definitely a lot more tech than my '11. Congratulations on the purchase.

I find the styling to be fine, it just doesn't look like a WRX to me, more like a legacy. No hatch option killed any chance of me getting one. Hopefully Subaru brings a hatchback back into the equation at some point. How is the transmission? The old 5-speed was...well...old! I would love to drive one of these just to see how they have changed.

I think the comments about it being more "grown up" hilarious though. Who wants to be grown up! Not me Besides, they retained the hood scoop and there is nothing grown up about that!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which trim level is your WRX?

I don't think the wheels look all that bad, but those seats look a little bit on the cheap side. Nice car overall.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good. I really like how the dual exhaust looks. Is that your S2k in then background?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Hopefully Subaru brings a hatchback back into the equation at some point. How is the transmission? The old 5-speed was...well...old! I would love to drive one of these just to see how they have changed.
I do too. If they come out with a hatchback I'm trading this car in immediately.

Also the transmission is much better. No more notchyness, much smoother.

Originally Posted by clawhammer
Which trim level is your WRX?

I don't think the wheels look all that bad, but those seats look a little bit on the cheap side. Nice car overall.
Premium. The seats actually don't feel too bad. Grippy cloth. The Leather (limited trim) feels really shitty. Thats why i didn't get it. Subaru leather doesn't age well and is really thin. Not worth it IMO.

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
Looking good. I really like how the dual exhaust looks. Is that your S2k in then background?
Yessir
Old 04-04-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Same engine bro. You always bashed Subaru for the ring land failures and you now bought one?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

It isn't a EJ motor dude perhaps you should know what you are talking about, it's the new DIT FA. Big difference. #4 piston is no longer next to the turbo. That should be history. That's an EJ motor problem, always has been. This isn't the same motor.

Congrats. Same color as my GR, DGM. It really shows the lines well and when I bought my STi it's the only color choice I wanted

I'll be buying one as soon as the 5 door is ready. Should be it 2 years at the latest. Subaru ack'd this week that it was a bone and it's now on the table for decisions. There are lots of folks not happy after 13 years straight of a 5 door offering and it's made its' way around the forums as well as the press and zines. They also didn't get the pre-order they thought they'd get. STi still has the EJ and no 5 door will do that.

I can't wait. Hopefully we'll see the FA in the STi at that point as well.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
It isn't a EJ motor dude perhaps you should know what you are talking about, it's the new DIT FA. Big difference. #4 piston is no longer next to the turbo. That should be history. That's an EJ motor problem, always has been. This isn't the same motor.

Congrats. Same color as my GR, DGM. It really shows the lines well and when I bought my STi it's the only color choice I wanted

I'll be buying one as soon as the 5 door is ready. Should be it 2 years at the latest. Subaru ack'd this week that it was a bone and it's now on the table for decisions. There are lots of folks not happy after 13 years straight of a 5 door offering and it's made its' way around the forums as well as the press and zines. They also didn't get the pre-order they thought they'd get. STi still has the EJ and no 5 door will do that.

I can't wait. Hopefully we'll see the FA in the STi at that point as well.
Your right I was talking about thinking he bought the sti but even that motor has it's own set of bullshit problems.

Quick Reply: My new DD: 2015 WRX