Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My new (used) 981 Cayman S

Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default My new (used) 981 Cayman S

So as some of you know from another thread, I had won a car recently and instead of waiting for another year to pick up a new toy after selling my S I jumped on a 2014 certified Cayman S.

The whole process was kind of a pain and continues to be because I traded in the car I won a month after picking it up, without the title in hand, which the Porsche dealer said was OK, only to find my state is processing titles at a glacial pace and it is not due to me for another r60 days and the dealer that took the car on trade is pissed. I had no idea it would take that long and am going to the DMV to see if they can speed things up but it has been a real nightmare.

Anyway the Cayman itself is Rhodium Silver with some pretty basic wheels. It has PASM, Bose, NAV, Sports Chrono, Sports Exhaust ( a TOTAL MUST HAVE on a 981) and some other stuff like convenience package that I have no idea what it includes. The satellite radio is still working which is a bonus. Not sure when that subscription will run out.

I guess if I have to review it I would be comparing it to my 2001 S2000 which was supercharged with a roots kit was making about 370hp at the crank compared to 325 for the Cayman. My old S seemed quicker but the Cayman can also get you into trouble with the cops in a hurry.

I really wanted a Cayman after coming from an SW20 MR2 turbo many years back. I love mid-engine cars both in terms of looks with the air scoops in the back and the driving dynamics. I already feel more comfortable pushing the Cayman on a clover leaf than I did after 12 years in the S2000. Both cornered very flat but the Cayman feels a little more planted and less twitchy.

The Cayman is also much more luxurious and has a higher quality interior. Something that does not matter as much to me as just fun driving, and the Honda did not feel cheap, it was just basic. The Cayman has buttons and dohickeys everywhere. The sound system is far better than a stock S2000, but so is a fisher price radio. People do not buy the Honda for the stereo.

The S2000, and this comes from memory, seems to feel quicker in the steering ratio, and maybe that is my imagination but Porsche did just put a quicker rack in the new 781. The S2000 also feels a little lighter. The weights are close to the same but part of what makes the Cayman feel more planted to the ground and stable to me also gives the impression that it is a heavier car. It still is very quick and does not wallow like a pig, the S2000 just gives an overall impression to me that it is lighter.

With that being said the Cayman is a very quick car, it has both a comfortable ride (much more so than the S2000) while still handling as good if not better. The interior quality is top notch although it has a stalk on the steering column that acts like a BMW Idrive controller and takes some getting used to. But I guess putting it succinctly I am in love with the way the car looks, drives, handles, feels, and everything else. I love the car.

And the car also grabs attention which can be a good or bad thing. Every teenage boy that passes you on the freeway takes video of you on his phone. It has happened a dozen times in two weeks. So if you are into teenage boys this is the car for you. I also noticed while driving the 400 miles back from Chicago, any 20 something girl that passed me would get even with the car until you looked oer at her before she would continue on. I guess they need to see if the driver is worth their time and upon discovering a 46 year old guy then go about their business. The fanciest cars I have owned have been the S and my 3 series and people would look once in a while. There are fancier cars out there but something makes people take notice, which to me is a slight negative.

It also gets some attention from the sports exhaust. It can be loud but man does it sound awesome. I drive around with the windows down all the time to hear the burbles and pops. It makes you want to wind out first and second at any chance you get and the car sounds amazing.

That brings me to my one small complaint. I have read this about the GT4 and am not sure if they have the same gearing but the gearing is too tall. I would love for it to be closer to the S2000 and have second top out at 62, instead second goes up to 78 miles per hour. You can not even redline second without looking for tickets. It has a decent amount of torque that allows you to use 3rd, 4th,5th or 6th to pass people pretty easily, but it would be more rewarding to wring a couple gears out and not do well over a hundred. The sounds the engine makes beg you to wind it out and the sports exhaust baffles open and give you pops and burbles and this great sound at the 7500rpm redline, but you only really get to the top in ONE gear or you have to get up to near 80 mph. I have wound out second a few times, but you have to keep your eyes peeled and have some room to do it. The payoff at redline is so great the tall gearing is a huge letdown. It has similar power delivery to an S2000 in that it does not seem to do much below 4000 rpm and then takes off but the rush of power is torquier and more pronounced than an NA S2000.

And before I get asked, the build price of the car was originally $81k. I bought it for $56k with three more years of warranty on it with the certified package, and it had never been redlined once by the original owner according to the report they gave me from the ECU. I would have loved to have bought it for a couple grand less, but it seemed to good to pass up.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 AM

Old 09-05-2016, 07:36 AM

Old 09-05-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice color. I'm surprised you get a lot of looks in a Cayman. I get more attention in my s2k than in the gt4. Aside from people trying to race me or not let me make a pass, my gt4 is pretty invisible. Maybe there are just too many Porsches around here.

That twitchy/on the limit feeling is what I love about the s2k. They really challenge you on track. I remember a few magazine reviews about how caymans are so well balanced that they almost leave little room for an advanced driver to spend time learning and being challenged by the cars. This is one reason why 911's are so beloved by good drivers.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm happy for you! That's a nice car.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by radiantm3
Nice color. I'm surprised you get a lot of looks in a Cayman. I get more attention in my s2k than in the gt4. Aside from people trying to race me or not let me make a pass, my gt4 is pretty invisible. Maybe there are just too many Porsches around here.

There are very few Porsches here which is probably part of the reason but it still got the teens attention in Chicago which is where I had to go to get one. My dealer near me has about 5-6 new cars in stock and maybe 2 used ones at any time. Napleton Porsche in Westmont Ill had ten times that many.

New pet peeve, having first in the same location as reverse. All the way left and up. Twice at a stop I have had it in reverse (unintentionally obviously) and had to immediately stop and reshift when the light turned. Once when I was first getting used to the car, now again today. There is a slight "bump" you feel when shifting into reverse but I did not get any feel of it at the light today. I would guess there has been an accident or two from a couple drivers since this car was released. The dash has a gear indicator but it does not light up until you are moving so if you select "1" it does not show until you have forward motion. If you mistakenly selected "R" you are in for a surprise.

Must be VERY careful letting others drive the car.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by radiantm3' timestamp='1473091963' post='24055249

There are very few Porsches here which is probably part of the reason but it still got the teens attention in Chicago which is where I had to go to get one. My dealer near me has about 5-6 new cars in stock and maybe 2 used ones at any time. Napleton Porsche in Westmont Ill had ten times that many.

New pet peeve, having first in the same location as reverse. All the way left and up. Twice at a stop I have had it in reverse (unintentionally obviously) and had to immediately stop and reshift when the light turned. Once when I was first getting used to the car, now again today. There is a slight "bump" you feel when shifting into reverse but I did not get any feel of it at the light today. I would guess there has been an accident or two from a couple drivers since this car was released. The dash has a gear indicator but it does not light up until you are moving so if you select "1" it does not show until you have forward motion. If you mistakenly selected "R" you are in for a surprise.

I started a post at the Porsche Planet 9 "981 chat" forum entitled, "How do you distinguish between 1st and reverse?" At least 12 Cayman and Boxster owners said they had the same problem and it was a Porsche "design flaw." One member said he drives in a constant state of paranoia, another indicated you have to look at the stick to gauge that angle when you shift to be sure.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Purple Haze
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1473101460' post='24055313
[quote name='radiantm3' timestamp='1473091963' post='24055249']

I started a post at the Porsche Planet 9 "981 chat" forum entitled, "How do you distinguish between 1st and reverse?" At least 12 Cayman and Boxster owners said they had the same problem and it was a Porsche "design flaw." One member said he drives in a constant state of paranoia, another indicated you have to look at the stick to gauge that angle when you shift to be sure.
[/quote]

I think I read that thread. It sounds like it is a common problem and haunts some drivers well past just getting used to the car. I did like the comment about either downshifting to first before the stop or when sitting at the light, put it in second and then straight to first. I am going to have to learn that habit. I can't believe I did not tap the person behind me at the light today.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In my 16 months of ownership, I think I've accidentally put the car into reverse twice - and both times it was shortly after acquiring the car. The transmission slips very easily into first gear while reverse takes a much firmer push to the left. It's quite easy to discern the two gears... at least for me. Maybe it just takes a little bit of time.

As for attention, my car is red and that is a "loud" color relative to silver, but I get a LOT of attention in this car. No one would notice me in my S2000, but I get looks everywhere in this car.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by radiantm3
That twitchy/on the limit feeling is what I love about the s2k. They really challenge you on track. I remember a few magazine reviews about how caymans are so well balanced that they almost leave little room for an advanced driver to spend time learning and being challenged by the cars. This is one reason why 911's are so beloved by good drivers.
Not to derail this guy's thread, but vehicles that are inherently difficult to drive are not necessarily better, faster, nor more rewarding. It usually just means you're slower... or you wind up sideways into a wall somewhere.

Quick Reply: My new (used) 981 Cayman S