Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My S2k/240z replacement: '94 RX-7

Old 09-25-2011, 04:34 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirtle
From another owner of a 500whp FD rx-7 let me just say that the drive back home will be one you never forget

Good buy bud! Make sure you take care of the oiling issues before your big track day and she'll treat you just as well as the S2000 does.
It has an Improved Racing baffle in the F-body oil pan, should take care of track day oiling?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"not s2000 quite" hahaha love it
Old 09-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

what an awesome car! I would LOVE to have one but im afraid im just not quite ready to tackle on such a project. Congrats and post some vids!!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1316912158' post='21002977
I think the biggest draw here would be the exclusivity and looks of the RX-7, not to mention the slight sleeper effect you'd get as well.

I think the FD RX-7 is one of the best looking cars produced. To fix its biggest flaw by replacing the motor it becomes a great overall package to me.
A twin turbo rx7 FD a sleeper? There like one of the most praised japan sports cars of all time, everyone knows there fast.
Yeah but there are so few on the road (combination of rarity and rotary failures) plus even a stock LS1 makes more power/torque than the motor it replaces. I'd consider it a sleeper since it's considerably better after the swap. Not to mention you can hit 400whp with just a cam and exhaust.

Edit: And this guy's numbers definitely make his into a car I would consider a sleeper.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Niiiiice. FDs are not sleepers, because everyone knows when they run they're quick. Emphasis on when they run. I think you'll surprise more people with the fact that it's running than it's fast.
Awesome car Zdan! jealous of you, I think that's the quintessential import lover dream project.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I think that's the quintessential import lover dream project.
+1. Either FD-rx7 or a Porsche 944 +LS drivetrain fun machine, but the FD looks soo much better. Pure awesomesauce.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by Squirtle' timestamp='1316920264' post='21003175
From another owner of a 500whp FD rx-7 let me just say that the drive back home will be one you never forget

Good buy bud! Make sure you take care of the oiling issues before your big track day and she'll treat you just as well as the S2000 does.
It has an Improved Racing baffle in the F-body oil pan, should take care of track day oiling?
It's not enough, take it from me. I've seen too many blow locally to ever track without an accusump. The baffle alone will help a little but if you're anywhere near advance level driving (which I'd consider you are since I remember reading similar posts of yours in R&C etc) then you're going to need at least a 3qt. accusump. Considering its protection for the investment of the motor, its a small thing to do. Good on your friend for having the baffle issue addressed already, just keep an eye on oil pressures on track as well, they tend to drop in pressure at WOT and do finicky things. You get accustomed to them though and with the sump and baffle these motors will run a longggggg track life. Best of luck and please do post pictures when you get the chance!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirtle
Originally Posted by ZDan' timestamp='1316954095' post='21003678
It's not enough, take it from me. I've seen too many blow locally to ever track without an accusump. The baffle alone will help a little but if you're anywhere near advance level driving (which I'd consider you are since I remember reading similar posts of yours in R&C etc) then you're going to need at least a 3qt. accusump.
Just reading up on this in the LS1Tech and norotors forums. Realistically, Accusump isn't likely to happen before I get to the track on the 8th/9th. I will be on street tires (255/265 StarSpecs), and I will likely be short-shifting around most of the track and doing short stints (5-8 laps).

Considering its protection for the investment of the motor, its a small thing to do. Good on your friend for having the baffle issue addressed already, just keep an eye on oil pressures on track as well, they tend to drop in pressure at WOT and do finicky things.
Yeah, sounds like g-loading, high-rpm cavitation, and drain-back are all issues.

Very interested in your FD! Any links to pics/specs/etc.?

FWIW, here's a link to the build thread on my car:
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=348.0
Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Niiiiice. FDs are not sleepers, because everyone knows when they run they're quick. Emphasis on when they run. I think you'll surprise more people with the fact that it's running than it's fast.
Awesome car Zdan! jealous of you, I think that's the quintessential import lover dream project.
Thats why it is a sleeper. It will actually finish the race.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by Christople' timestamp='1316907850' post='21002865
Is there a suspension advantage to the RX-7 with V8 swap to compared to a Vette?
I know the vette might weigh a tad more... don't know the exact amount but I never understood the appeal of this swap as it would just be easier to get into a vette.
If I'd wanted a 'vette, I'd have boughten a 'vette.

240sx, miata, fine they were underpowered and are lighter cars. But the RX-7? Seems like a lot of work for 200 or so pounds of weight loss.
200 lb.? More like 400-500 lb.
Based on published weights its a about 350lbs

Quick Reply: My S2k/240z replacement: '94 RX-7