Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

ND2 vs SS 1LE

Old 06-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Well the RF with the Edelbrock SC could be right for you. Get a used 2019 next year for mid twenties and for $30k you have the power and torque for serious fun. I had that SC in my S2000 and it was a blast.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
And now of course the rumormill is in full effect...

Chevrolet Camaro Will Die in 2023, No Seventh-Gen Successor Planned: Report
hey, Chevy! Suck it!
darcy
Old 06-26-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Well the RF with the Edelbrock SC could be right for you. Get a used 2019 next year for mid twenties and for $30k you have the power and torque for serious fun. I had that SC in my S2000 and it was a blast.
I get the sense that the drivetrain really isnt stout enough to hold up to forced induction for an extended amount of time, but yeah that would be fun.

But then there's the sound of a v8...
Old 06-26-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

just ls3 swap it
Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ZSAK
just ls3 swap it
California always ruins the fun.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

RF ND2 here.

But, I still own an S2k and don't see replacing it unless it becomes a chore to maintain and keep running.

I've driven and ridden in a couple of bigger powered cars - 400-550hp range and didn't find the torque as exciting as a light weight car that I could wring out and row through gears. Also, my criteria is still prioritized around a track car that has low maintenance and low cost to operate while still providing a "driver" focused experience - the ND captures all of that for me.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
RF ND2 here.

But, I still own an S2k and don't see replacing it unless it becomes a chore to maintain and keep running.

I've driven and ridden in a couple of bigger powered cars - 400-550hp range and didn't find the torque as exciting as a light weight car that I could wring out and row through gears. Also, my criteria is still prioritized around a track car that has low maintenance and low cost to operate while still providing a "driver" focused experience - the ND captures all of that for me.
Yeah the ND definitely appeals to the very loud sensible side of me. I know running errands in it will probably be more fun and I can maintain it more or less without sacrificing elsewhere. And for practically the same price i could buy new which is always a plus, although knowing it will be a mid 20s car next year used is something to consider.

The SS appeals to the child in me, and isnt that who we're all trying to please in the end?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

6th gen 1LE. Nothing compares to it. I'm a little biased though and had the opportunity to work them in a very involved fashion.

I've driven both pretty extensively and for me it's no question if you don't mind paying up for the fuel and tires.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I get the sense that the drivetrain really isnt stout enough to hold up to forced induction for an extended amount of time, but yeah that would be fun.
I am familiar with some gear failures in earlier cars and Mazda has gone through a few parts revisions to get things right and had to replace some transmissions, but after a revision in 2017, I have really yet to read about any problems.

I'd want a stronger clutch with FI, but that is a given on lots of vehicles. They are not pushing huge power with the off the shelf kits, just huge power for that weight. You will end up wanting what you want, but if I were going to put an FI kit on one of these, I personally would not lose a lot of sleep over longevity because they are not ridiculous amounts of power and torque.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by vader1
I am familiar with some gear failures in earlier cars and Mazda has gone through a few parts revisions to get things right and had to replace some transmissions, but after a revision in 2017, I have really yet to read about any problems.

I'd want a stronger clutch with FI, but that is a given on lots of vehicles. They are not pushing huge power with the off the shelf kits, just huge power for that weight. You will end up wanting what you want, but if I were going to put an FI kit on one of these, I personally would not lose a lot of sleep over longevity because they are not ridiculous amounts of power and torque.
Yeah but I get the sense that Mazda increased the durability marginally until the failures became bearable, doesn't give the sense of a lot of headroom you want when starting to do things like aftermarket FI. So while I agree with your sentiment, I don't think anyone will describe the drivetrain as stout.

And it sorta distorts the charm of the car, cheap fun, and I'd be happy with a conservative tune with smog legal bolt ons.

While I miss the power, it's more the drama of it that I miss, the rush of torque and the glorious noises. The only racing I do is mostly on the bar stool, so I don't need the power in the practical sense, just the experience of it. The s2000 for me provided adequate oomph, adequate with a capital A.

Quick Reply: ND2 vs SS 1LE