Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need general info on diesel truck.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need general info on diesel truck.

Hi,
My brother wants to get a used diesel truck for his waste removal business. Mostly waste from housebuilders.He's been looking at Ford F250 from 2004, 2005, 2006. I don't know much about diesel trucks, only info I was told is that they're noisier, has much more torque and less horsepower when compared to a gas truck, not every gas station has diesel, and diesel engines require more maintenance and is more expensive to fix if something goes wrong. I'd appreciate any info/advice you guys can provide. I'm not even sure he needs a diesel truck, HD gas trucks would be fine I suppose.
Thanks!!!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Generally they are reliable as long as they are well maintained. Does he need to tow something? If not there isn't really a good reason to pay the premium for a diesel truck as he could likely get a newer gas truck with lower miles. I would definitely buy a diesel HD truck over any of the gas powered ones. Better MPG and better towing. You will have to do some research on which truck is best from those years as I am not sure who builds the most reliable (and each company ford, chevy, dodge all have their fanboys).
Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Generally they are reliable as long as they are well maintained. Does he need to tow something? If not there isn't really a good reason to pay the premium for a diesel truck as he could likely get a newer gas truck with lower miles. I would definitely buy a diesel HD truck over any of the gas powered ones. Better MPG and better towing. You will have to do some research on which truck is best from those years as I am not sure who builds the most reliable (and each company ford, chevy, dodge all have their fanboys).
Thanks!
Yeah he will definitely be towing stuff to waste disposal sites from homebuilding projects. Waste may include lumber, roofing materials, scaffolding, bricks, concrete, rebars,....
Old 08-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

The high torque, lower power ratings of a diesel are for heavy duty pulling power. The don't accelerate as fast as the bigger engine gas pickups, but they will pull a house. When you need to start from a stop with a really heavy load, that is where the diesel shines and they do it all day long. There is a reason semi trucks are diesel. For what it sounds like he wants it for, he knows what he is doing looking for a diesel. I have a friend who loves his Duramax diesel. Don't know the difference between something made by Ford vs. a Cummins.
The following users liked this post:
Justapickup (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

If looking at used trucks from that era, I would go with a dodge and the 5.9 cummins. Only buy a truck with documented maintenance history, and it should last for a long time.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Not seen a filling station recently without diesel fuel. Sometimes only one (1) pump, but there seems to be a green handled pump everywhere I go.

-- Chuck
Old 08-03-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Never been a problem for me. Diesels have bigger fuel tanks and a lot of range.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Not sure why no one has made a turbo diesel hybrid yet. It seems like the best of both worlds for towing. Both are torque monsters from a stop and are sound like they would be great for gas mileage.

On paper, it sounds like a win win.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Not sure why no one has made a turbo diesel hybrid yet. It seems like the best of both worlds for towing. Both are torque monsters from a stop and are sound like they would be great for gas mileage.

On paper, it sounds like a win win.
You answered your own question: because both are torque monsters from a stop. If you already make a lot of torque with a diesel engine, why do you need more? It's gas engines that need low-end torque, typically, which is why they're the primary ICEs for hybrid systems. Now, you could perhaps use smaller diesel engines and make up the torque/power deficit with electric motors but again, the weight penalty doesn't really justify the additional torque. You're better off just using a bigger diesel engine, since it's still very efficient and makes all the torque you need. Big diesel pickups make more than 800 ft-lbs of torque now!

Electric batteries are very heavy and ultimately they reduce your payload/tow rating for a vehicle, as you have to add the weight of the batteries to the overall load. It's just not worth it on a pickup meant for towing/hauling large loads.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

So I have owned many diesel trucks in the past All makes and models. The 2003-2007 F250/350 has the 6.0l powerstroke. While its a fun motor when tuned it is not reliable unless its deleted and studded since the headgasket likes to go. Usually runs around $8k or more to do the job. The best year F250 he can find is probably a 99-2002 with the 7.3l powerstroke. They were built like tanks if taken care of. The other popular engine is the 5.9l cummins only issue is that dodge trucks from the era are terribly built. One thing to consider is that diesels are expensive to maintain and repair the newer ones are even worse. With that being said I loved driving them even though they may make me look like a wanker as its the proper way to have a truck