Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need help shuffling the garage

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help shuffling the garage

So the wife has given me free reign to jockey our stable around a bit and wanted to get some opinions. We currently have 02 S with 126k mi on it that I unfortunately dont drive much, a 2011 accord se and 2012 rx350. With kids in our very near future she is going to take the Lexus as hers and I can do whatever with the other two. Before I get down to the options ive been looking at so far I wanted to say that im looking for 4 doors to better accommodate future brats, sub 6 0-60, fun on the backroads! all wheel drive, something tolerable on long business trips and decent on gas. So far here are my top three

2014 S4 prestige package - 57k new with the options im looking for (navi, sport diff and suspension and upgraded sound system).
Pros: fastest of the three, imho sexiest of the three, active diff is a awesome, wuto tranny is very smooth and livable, best awd system
cons: missing a few "nice to have" options, due for a refresh soon, gas mikeage is the worst of three, would have to trade in both the s and the accord

2014 335xi Gran Torismo - 56k with options
Pros: space for the dog in the back, has all options im looking for, damn near on par with S4 on speed, nicest interior, just redesigned, better on gas
Cons: not hideous but doesnt stir the soul like the S4, cylinder deactivation is pita, would have to trade s and accord in

2014 is350 awd f sport - 48.5k with options
pros: best user interface, dealer history with our current rx, all options im looking for, just redesigned, WOULD get to keep the s2000
cons: slowest of the three, questionable backseat leg room

As you can probably tell im trying to keep the total price below 60k so these r what ive looked at so far. If anyone has input or other ideas please let me know.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 PM

You just need something over ~250 hp to meet your sub-6 0-60, bizarre as I find that metric.

If you are having kids, buy off lease and save up to ~$20K with a 2 year old car. You generally won't need to put any money into a vehicle for the first 5 years, depending on mileage, so you get three years of ownership without worrying about replacing front struts, water pumps, batteries, whatever - just tires and oil changes.

$20,000 is a lot of scratch to spend on your kids.

All the cars you are looking at have small back seats. Great for little kids, not so great for adults. If I were buying a sedan I'd be buying for adults. A sedan is a sedan from the outside, but the three you listed are coupes with extra doors from the inside.

Have you looked at a Mercedes C350? Back seat seats fit non-children comfortably, reliable car, and not expensive. Or Jaguar? Especially used, a great deal for the money. I'm assuming you've written off US makes for whatever reason, but you might look at Cadillac or Lincoln. The cars you listed are seriously cramped in the rear seat and make me wonder why they even have rear doors. And they are not paragons of value by any measure, fine cars they may be. Each of them really are coupes with extra doors.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
$20,000 is a lot of scratch to spend on your kids.

All the cars you are looking at have small back seats. Great for little kids, not so great for adults. If I were buying a sedan I'd be buying for adults. A sedan is a sedan from the outside, but the three you listed are coupes with extra doors from the inside.
$20K just scratches the surface of incremental expenses from having kids!

Also, I can say that the E90 3 series had plenty of backseat room, and I suspect the next gen (F30?) is even better in that regard.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go drive all three and you should be able to figure out how much you do or do not value keeping your S2000 around. I have an 09 E90 and while it's a very good car, great for commuting and A to B driving, it doesn't come close to the experience that the S2000 offers.

Echoing what Nunco said, don't waste your money buying any of the cars new- the depreciation hit is huge and it's super easy, particularly with well-optioned BMW/Audis, to find pristine used cars that have a complete maintenance history from a dealership. The backseats in any of the cars you've listed will be plenty big for kids, and by the time they aren't big enough...you'll be ready for another new car anyhow. I haven't looked at the F30s, but the backseats in my E90 give me a couple inches to spare with the driver's seat in position for me (I'm slightly short at 5'11"), which is room I wasn't expecting from a 3 series.

Also- all of the BMW GT cars are ugly as sin, either buy a wagon and get the full utility or stick with a sedan.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:55 PM

Ive driven the s4 and the back seat is plenty big. Same with the lexus. The prior is350s had jokes for backseats but the new redesign added abou 5 inches to the rear leg room. Only one I havent checked out is the bmw and plannng doing it soon.

On the depreciation, we did that with every other car we have ever bough.howvwer, with my job I can now write off a large portion of whatever I buy as a business expenese so im not that worried about it. Hadnt looked into caddies other than the new cts coming out but it looks to be a bit pricey. driven several of the new lincolns and while nice not something id buy. Ill give the jags a go though thanks but the mercs feel bland to me. The driving experience just seemed never numb...
Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

You seem to be stuck on AWD? What about a CTS-V wagon or sedan?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Why get the is350? Look into the ISF a whole different monster.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 AM

Isf is pricey unless I went usef but then I have the backseat issue. The out going iS were really short on rear leg room. Looked at the ctsv but it wasnt for me. Couldnt put my finger on it but just got out of the car and feel that giddy feeling.

I do prefer awd, but I wont let it be a deal breaker if something else amazing comes along.it would just be nice to have.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 AM

I work for Lexus/Toyota. While I think the IS is a good car, you aren't kidding about rear seat room. I think that you may even be overestimating it as questionable hahaha. It downright sucks! I think it will get you through kid(s) but at the same time there is also a reason its so cheap. It's a rebadged toyota that looks better and has a nice interior, but that interior doesn't compare to either the Audi or BMW. I have a BMW 328 hardtop and it is the slowest in the 3 series line and it is still an absolute pleasure to drive. Those things really are the ultimate driving machine (ok, not really, compare it to some serious cars. but still they are wonderful to drive.)

I personally think you'll like the bimmer or audi more. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 AM

Just a thought from the fun side. Audi RS4, used, not sure it's still in production. Has everything you want but more engine. About 4.3 sec 0-60 in magazine tests. Personal experience bears that out. One tried to race my SLK55 AMG a few months ago. I was able to pull on him from a rolling 50 mph due to my much lighter weight and much higher flatter torque curve. From a stop, I have no doubt the RS4 could match my SLK55 at around 4.3 0-60 with its AWD chassis. Sounds good too. High revving small V8. Not sure about fuel economy though.

Quick Reply: Need help shuffling the garage