Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Never seen rain?

Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

It rains like 10 days a year here, my car hasn't seen rain but it's not by choice.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My S2000 didn't see rain for years. As a matter of fact, it still doesn't. It has numerous times (two track days at Reno-Fernley years ago were fun), however I use one of the other cars when the weather turns if I have the chance. Heck, I still have the OEM/original wiper blade rubbers in the arms although I do carry new ones just in case. I also have never had to add any wiper fluid to the reservoir. I have used it maybe twice in 15 years.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito

If I see a "never seen rain" ad I'll skip buying that car. Chances are it's a blu hair, the car was not broken in properly (old lady type driving), etc.
I dunno. I bet if you have two cars, one that was a "never seen rain car" and pampered to the hilt, and another that has the wear and tear of weather and the "average American" and both have about 50,000 miles and the same price, color, options, the overwhelming majority of people would buy the pampered car every time.

I bought mine used so did not do the break in, but just because I kept my car as cosmetically perfect as I could does not mean anything about how I drove it or how often it bounced off the rev limiter. You could still leave the car out in the California sun every day and drive it like a grandma. But all things being equal, you will never know how the car was driven, but you can tell what kind of care they took of the cosmetic stuff. At least with me, I was picky about the cosmetic stuff, but that also spilled over to picky about the maintenance. I did not skimp on what kind of care the car was supposed to get. But I guess the flip side is you can find a car that has been waxed daily and that does not mean the owner ever changed the oil.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:46 AM
IPB

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I baby my S, but I drive it. Its a 2000 that I bought it with under 20k on it 3 or 4 years ago and now I'm at 45k.. That being said its stored inside, in a heated garage, and has seen rain once since I've owned it, and that was an accident. If there is any chance of rain in the forecast I don't drive it. Period. Its my personal choice, I prefer to keep it as pristine as I can, so I'll drive one of my other vehicles.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I dunno. I bet if you have two cars, one that was a "never seen rain car" and pampered to the hilt, and another that has the wear and tear of weather and the "average American" and both have about 50,000 miles and the same price, color, options, the overwhelming majority of people would buy the pampered car every time.

I bought mine used so did not do the break in, but just because I kept my car as cosmetically perfect as I could does not mean anything about how I drove it or how often it bounced off the rev limiter. You could still leave the car out in the California sun every day and drive it like a grandma. But all things being equal, you will never know how the car was driven, but you can tell what kind of care they took of the cosmetic stuff. At least with me, I was picky about the cosmetic stuff, but that also spilled over to picky about the maintenance. I did not skimp on what kind of care the car was supposed to get. But I guess the flip side is you can find a car that has been waxed daily and that does not mean the owner ever changed the oil.
I don't buy used for many reasons. If I did, my body shop (friends with owner) would get it first. Then the stealer for full inspection including leak down. And this would be after I saw full maintenance logs/paperwork with receipts, etc. I'd rather take the depreciation hit than buy used stuff, cpo being the exception.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IPB
I baby my S, but I drive it. Its a 2000 that I bought it with under 20k on it 3 or 4 years ago and now I'm at 45k.. That being said its stored inside, in a heated garage, and has seen rain once since I've owned it, and that was an accident. If there is any chance of rain in the forecast I don't drive it. Period. Its my personal choice, I prefer to keep it as pristine as I can, so I'll drive one of my other vehicles.
How do you react when a bird poops on it while driving it outside?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I keep my sports car out of the rain because I f*&king hate working on rusty car parts.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

In the end I take everything a person says that's selling me a car with a grain of salt, I use their terms like never seen rain or highway miles and then inspect the vehicle, if I can confirm these claims then I'll stay interested in the car, but if I find that they're lying then I'll pretty much give the car zero chance. For instance, if they make a big deal about it being garages never seen rain etc etc but the I find a bunch of leaves in the cowl, trunk jam, etc then I know they're at least exaggerating and odds and pretty much I won't believe anything else coming out of your mouth. You'd be surprised how many people don't realize for instance that s2000s have vin stickers on every panel, so when they say never had any bodywork and I see the bumper and fender missing vin stickers and pretty much walk away from the car.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Just missed another one. Ran to the grocery store, looked good outside, mostly sunny. On the way back its clouding up, just pulled into the garage in a light sprinkle and now its a monsoon! Of course I knew there was a 40 percent chance today.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:06 AM
IPB

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
How do you react when a bird poops on it while driving it outside?
Hahah I'd poop myself! J/K that's actually not happened yet and its probably a good thing, because if I were driving then the top would be down!

Quick Reply: Never seen rain?