Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New 4 door daily driver, charger rt awd or ctsv

Old 03-29-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4 door daily driver, charger rt awd or ctsv

Hi! I love driving my S2000 but want a more fun daily driver. I currently dd my automatic 2008 Corolla s. I just want a more fun and a bit bigger car. Going to look at ctsv or whatever the 4 door sedan one and my other choice is 2012+ charger rt awd. Since I live in Minnesota and will be driving it over the winter months. Any other good cars to look at for the 25k+ range.. Wrx no, must be 4 door and fun or decent. I would love a powerful luxury sedan but don't know them well enough. Style points welcomed too lol!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Depends on what you want. If gas mileage is at all a concern don't get the Charger, the EPA estimates and the real world driving are not in the same league. People on the board who have had CTSV's seem to love them. Audi A4/S4 is another possibility. BMW 328/335 xdrive is another. The BMW and the Audi would be a bit smaller than the ones you mentioned. Might find a used Caddy ATS in that range too.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas isn't a concern as I only drive 17 miles to work and 16 of the miles is Highway. I do want power and fun and enough luxury over what my Corolla has. I'm also a home owner so I need to haul some stuff once in a while leaves, grocery, people, just something more fun and exciting enough
Old 03-29-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

If you can get over the looks, get a used Acura TL SH-AWD or Acura TLX SH-AWD. Great system, low cost of ownership, reliable, decently quick with the V6. If you look hard enough, you can even get the TL with a 6MT if that's your preference...
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaig
Gas isn't a concern as I only drive 17 miles to work and 16 of the miles is Highway. I do want power and fun and enough luxury over what my Corolla has. I'm also a home owner so I need to haul some stuff once in a while leaves, grocery, people, just something more fun and exciting enough
I only ask about gas because my 328i is the four banger turbo. It does not have the torque the Charger has but they run pretty close to each other. I average 28-30 in mixed driving and still have the giddyup the Charger has, done 38.6 mpg on a road trip. I know a couple people with the HEMI Chargers , and they do not have the added weight or drag of the AWD and they get about 17-18 in mixed driving. In winter stop and go that can run up lots of money and standing out at the gas pump in ten below way too often.

I am in the same boat you are in, Minnesota winters and my BMW is my go-get-everything car. It is a bit smaller that what you suggest but it really does just fine holding everything in the trunk and folding the back seats down when needed. Otherwise I get a U-Haul truck every spring for a day make a big list and go pick up all my trees I am going to plant, lawn and garden needs, lumber for any projects, blah blah, big stuff and I am out $60 for the rental.

Don't be afraid of RWD sedans too if you are ok with having a second set of snow tires. If you do a search you will see that the average car with snow tires does better than an AWD car with non-snow rubber. I have all seasons on the BMW and the thing is unstoppable in snow, with snow tires it would be a beast.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

An XF 3.0 Supercharged AWD will give you the performance, handling, style, and gas mileage you are looking for and can be had at 25K. A friend just traded his his CTS AWD in on one and can't stop raving about it the XF. He test drove just about every car you can think of... His other car is a Shelby GT350. I went for a test drive in a Charger with him and it was quite sporty, but had cheap materials inside and noise/vibration went through the car like it was poorly made. The other car we drove was a E350 Coupe and that was a dull as can be. Sure looked nice though.

Don't knock an XF until you drive one. 3.0 Supercharged V6 is a great engine.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

AWD Charger sounds great. I'd recommend Subaru being where you live, but you said no WRX and I doubt you'd go for a Forester XT. And in general I loathe CUV's from any company. They are turd mobiles.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CTS V sounds like a lot more fun
Old 04-03-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

CTS V easily
Old 04-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

How about a 2012+ S4?

Quick Reply: New 4 door daily driver, charger rt awd or ctsv