Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The New 991 911 has retained a manual option

Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezza
So it's like Nissans Syncro Rev Match ?

And it wouldn't be a double clutch, that's just Porsche trying to fancy up the term Rev match.
Double clutching is unnecessary unless you don't have synchros.

Also, Why would Porsche offer a manual on the 991 Carrera but not the GT3, makes no sense to me.
If a manual was not offered on any model 991 it would be a strong indication that Porsche is going all PDK but since it is offered on the Carrera I would be very surprised if it is not also offered on the GT3.

Don't shoot the guy who heard the rumor.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/991GT3.html

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/10...rsche-991.html

Don't be surprised if the manual tranny isn't an option. The PDK out performs the manual. I'd figure Porsche wants the best in that dept which happens to be the PDK.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM

I blame this on...

Nurburgring laptimes
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by shyong
Originally Posted by Mezza' timestamp='1352850748' post='22149131

And it wouldn't be a double clutch, that's just Porsche trying to fancy up the term Rev match.

Also, Why would Porsche offer a manual on the 991 Carrera but not the GT3, makes no sense to me.
If a manual was not offered on any model 991 it would be a strong indication that Porsche is going all PDK but since it is offered on the Carrera I would be very surprised if it is not also offered on the GT3.

Don't be surprised if the manual tranny isn't an option. The PDK out performs the manual. I'd figure Porsche wants the best in that dept which happens to be the PDK.
We'll see... and hope!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mezza' timestamp='1352850748' post='22149131

I don't think anyone has been shot yet.

My understanding was the 911 GT3 road car was compliant with the FIA GT class ruleset. As well, the transmission used was not the same as the non-GT3 911's and the PDK just wouldn't mate up. I also understood that the new 7-speed manual was developed from the PDK design, which implies the new GT3 could carry either the PDK or a manual version.

The only reason I'd believe the upcoming GT3 will use a PDK trans is if Porsche has been racing the car that way for several months now. Otherwise I'd put the rumor down to ignorant magazine writers who never heard the term "fact checking." 100% of the past GT3 sales went to folks who wanted the car with a manual transmission. If there wasn't enough demand for the GT3 with manual trans, it wouldn't exist.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by shyong' timestamp='1352852708' post='22149197
[quote name='Mezza' timestamp='1352850748' post='22149131']

My understanding was the 911 GT3 road car was compliant with the FIA GT class ruleset. As well, the transmission used was not the same as the non-GT3 911's and the PDK just wouldn't mate up. I also understood that the new 7-speed manual was developed from the PDK design, which implies the new GT3 could carry either the PDK or a manual version.

The only reason I'd believe the upcoming GT3 will use a PDK trans is if Porsche has been racing the car that way for several months now. Otherwise I'd put the rumor down to ignorant magazine writers who never heard the term "fact checking." 100% of the past GT3 sales went to folks who wanted the car with a manual transmission. If there wasn't enough demand for the GT3 with manual trans, it wouldn't exist.
[/quote]

Well, let's see if you're right. Only time will tell.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1352864440' post='22149511
[quote name='shyong' timestamp='1352852708' post='22149197']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think you get it. I'm making no predictions, I'm merely informing you of the current state of affairs, and why.

Time will tell if you are right. I merely stated existing facts. Whether I am right or not is easily verified today. If you check my facts (like I did before posting) you can know if I am right or not in a matter of minutes.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by shyong' timestamp='1352895298' post='22149999
[quote name='NuncoStr8' timestamp='1352864440' post='22149511']
[quote name='shyong' timestamp='1352852708' post='22149197']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think you get it. I'm making no predictions, I'm merely informing you of the current state of affairs, and why.

Time will tell if you are right. I merely stated existing facts. Whether I am right or not is easily verified today. If you check my facts (like I did before posting) you can know if I am right or not in a matter of minutes.
[/quote]

Lighten up.

btw, took a quick glance of your recent posts...always confrontational? Like you told someone else, panty's in a bunch? Go argue with yourself in the mirror. There was no debate or argument here. You made it one.

I could care less one way or the other if the GT3 goes all PDK or manual as I have no vested interest in owning one. Are you getting one? If not, lay off the aggression.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Both of you need to lighten up. Go play with your shift knobs until you feel better.