Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Accord is not selling!?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ka
I'm part of the problem:

2003 Accord --> 2008 Accord --> 2010 Accord --> 2013 Accord --> 2016 Civic EXT sedan + 2017 Civic EXT coupe

The Civic has grown big enough for my needs, so I stopped buying Accords. My Civic EXT was only $20k and has a lot of standard features, a similarly equipped Accord would have been $24k. And the Civic gets better gas mileage than an Accord, recently averaged 41mpg on a 2,000 mile trip.

I have test driven the new Accord in both 1.5T and 2.0T configurations and they're great.
That's a good point. The generation of Civic is large enough as a family car. It's also quite well equipped compared to before. With the 1.5T, the performance is also much improved vs the NA 1.6L, 1.7L, and 1.8L from before.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I said that like 3 pages ago
Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I said that like 3 pages ago
Thank you for your service to the community.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like most of us here still prefer the driving dynamics or seating position of sedans but we are the minorities. To the majority of consumers out there the driving difference just isn't that important or noticeable and a SUV/CUV offers much more advantages like comfort, perceived better safety/visibility, cargo utility, AWD, etc.

We really may be witnessing the start of the downfall of sedans. With improved hybrid tech and forced induction...I don't even think fuel prices will matter this time around.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

We are the 1% likely that are concerned with good driving dynamics coming from a real sports car. SUVs to me sell a false sense of driving security. Has technology really made that much of an improvement in fuel consumption costs? To me it has not. Look what kind of real world mileage was possible from early 90s Hondas. If only the cars of today were similar weight, size and power.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Driving dynamics? I mean don't get me wrong, I love sharp handling cars, and if all things equal I will take the vehicle with better dynamics. But fun is relative and situation specific. A Ferrari isn't fun when you're trekking up a dirt road with splitter killing deviations carrying a mountain bike. You don't buy an accord to go canyon carving, and if you live in an area where winding, glass smooth roads are an everyday thing, you'd probably buy a more sportier sedan to take advantage anyway. Most accord consumers are value based, likely to not live in a premium remote area, and had to use this vehicle as a Swiss army knife. And most people slow down quite a bit before hitting a turn. And of all the people I know who own cuvs not a single one has ever flipped one.
only reason I don't rent cuvs is because they cost more, otherwise I'd always get them. Never have to worry about things fitting, I don't even think about steep driveways etc. Parallel parking in a cat I just picked up ten minutes ago? No problem with a back up camera, tall sidewalls and ground clearance,
For my relaxed vehicle I do like the easier ingress and upright driving position, it's more ergonomic. You don't set your office chairs low so your legs are more straight out do you?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
We are the 1% likely that are concerned with good driving dynamics coming from a real sports car. SUVs to me sell a false sense of driving security. Has technology really made that much of an improvement in fuel consumption costs? To me it has not. Look what kind of real world mileage was possible from early 90s Hondas. If only the cars of today were similar weight, size and power.
I know my Honda HRV doesn't get anywhere near the mileage of my Civic Touring Coupe, huge difference in highway mpg's real world experience. There is a price to pay for the SUV features.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

It use to be buying a Honda product, the perception that the engine quality was 2nd to none and the whole car was manufactured to a high level. I don't feel this is the perception of consumers in 2018 with Honda. They are just a run of the mill car brand now. They've lost their association and affinity towards manufacturing excellence. I don't if that is true across all Honda products, but for towards automobiles for sure.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
It use to be buying a Honda product, the perception that the engine quality was 2nd to none and the whole car was manufactured to a high level. I don't feel this is the perception of consumers in 2018 with Honda. They are just a run of the mill car brand now. They've lost their association and affinity towards manufacturing excellence. I don't if that is true across all Honda products, but for towards automobiles for sure.
agree. after my experience with a few Hondas including my AP1 I don't see excellence.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
agree. after my experience with a few Hondas including my AP1 I don't see excellence.
Can't argue about Honda's prowess in MotoGP; been brilliant with Marquez.

Quick Reply: The new Accord is not selling!?