Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Accord is not selling!?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

^Seems the accord market is growing up and out of the car segment (which is a normal occurrence). The problem is they fail to attract new followers like they once did.
I dunno, maybe we are just spoiled. How did our parents deal with station wagons or cars...
Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

The accord is ugly and cost more. CUVs are economical and practical. Almost all accord owners don't know that it drives better, they bought it because it's a Honda and generally they looked good. It's a reason w why Lexus can't axe the ES, but the GS is on life support.
My buddy bought an accord, last generation, car guy too, he bought it because it's a Honda and looks great. I ask how does it drive, his answer dude it's a mid size family fml sedan. Seriously do some of you stand around accords and say yeah I can get on the gas earlier coming out of a corner than a Camry, those CUV guys don't know what they're missing. Geez sound like BMW owners talking about exhaust sounds and engine noises.
The following users liked this post:
flexer (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The whole market is shifting to basically wagons and hatchbacks - more room and utility for your dollar. These days, full-size trucks are actually trending positive as people just go to bigger vehicles. Gas is cheap, highways are basically straight and flat, and sedans are the cars of "old folks" these days.

I had a full size sedan, now I have an SUV that basically handles like a Lexus LS, is filled with comfort amenities, and soaks up miles effortlessly. But now I also have higher ground clearance, better visibility, and more room for utility. This is the trend nationally, and why we are seeing hatchback-like cars like the latest Accord, Audis, Teslas, etc. Trunks are dying out.

All that said, among the sedans, the Camry is selling better than the Accord, which I'd say is because of price, style, and reputation.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

never understood the purpose of big sedans honestly. Hatchbacks and CUVs are just more useful overall.

If I don't need the convenience of a hatchback/cuv, id rather drive 2 seater/Coupe.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The whole market is shifting to basically wagons and hatchbacks - more room and utility for your dollar. These days, full-size trucks are actually trending positive as people just go to bigger vehicles. Gas is cheap, highways are basically straight and flat, and sedans are the cars of "old folks" these days.

I had a full size sedan, now I have an SUV that basically handles like a Lexus LS, is filled with comfort amenities, and soaks up miles effortlessly. But now I also have higher ground clearance, better visibility, and more room for utility. This is the trend nationally, and why we are seeing hatchback-like cars like the latest Accord, Audis, Teslas, etc. Trunks are dying out.

All that said, among the sedans, the Camry is selling better than the Accord, which I'd say is because of price, style, and reputation.
The market is shifting to wagons and hatchbacks?? You'd have to look pretty far down this list to find either:

Top 30 Best-Selling Vehicles In America – February 2018 | GCBC
Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ka
The market is shifting to wagons and hatchbacks?? You'd have to look pretty far down this list to find either:

Top 30 Best-Selling Vehicles In America – February 2018 GCBC
Only one Hyundai on the list...interesting. The Ford Fusion is on the list with 16k Feb sales, yet Ford is discontinuing it.

Note: parents have an easier time with child seats in crossover SUVs. The extra cargo capacity of the SUVs also fits today's Costco/Home Depot lifestyle better than a sedan.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

And for those of you who can't understand why auto manufacturers focus on trucks/SUV/sedans, here are the Sports Car sales for Feb 2018. The Accord outsells the entire category. Heck, the Dodge Grand Caravan minivan outsells the entire category.

Sporty Car Sales In America – February 2018 | GCBC

Last edited by s2ka; 03-20-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:41 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

You misread "basically wagons and hatchbacks" as literal, but I'm referring to SUVs and CUVs - which are essentially wagons with lift kits, but while people "don't like" a normal wagon, they love SUVs, which are essentially the same thing in this day of unibody vehicles.

The craziest thing for me is the growing number of high-dollar trucks that are bought each year. SUVs are no longer enough it seems. Toyota admits the sedan market is shrinking, but it is still too large to abandon. Maybe sedans will become about as popular as sports cars.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:31 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

CUVS and most SUVs are wagons or hatchbacks. Hell in some cases CUVs are minivans with conventional doors.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:36 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The craziest thing for me is the growing number of high-dollar trucks that are bought each year. SUVs are no longer enough it seems. Toyota admits the sedan market is shrinking, but it is still too large to abandon. Maybe sedans will become about as popular as sports cars.
A lot buy trucks just to buy a truck, others buy them as they need to tow something and modern SUV's have little to no tow ratings (or a low hitch weight capacity), this includes the Tahoe/Suburban range, the exception is the new Expedition as it has a decent tow rating now.

Quick Reply: The new Accord is not selling!?