Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Accord is not selling!?

Old 03-29-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
It might be because the type of people that buy these cars know nothing about cars, and simply see it as something they are told they need.
We we leased our Jaguar XE, we wanted RWD, but the dealer never orders them. Basically only order AWD across the portfolio outside a couple specific performance cars.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
It might be because the type of people that buy these cars know nothing about cars, and simply see it as something they are told they need.
So then, the average Joe consumer? They're more important to the bottom line than any of us are. Plus, even if they do know they don't need it, just having it there, "just in case" is not a hard choice to make. The market has evolved in this direction, Honda should see the data and evolve that way as well IMO. It's not like they're incapable, or lack their own AWD system. It could cost them a lot in chassis redesign initially, but when they get through the early hardship of doing that, it's all gravy going forward. Who knows, that may lead them to start offering more RWD options and move slightly upscale like Infiniti?

They can keep the Civic and all it's variations FWD. Make significant change to the Accord and make it RWD/AWD, plus offering manual transmission options, I'd be on that in a heartbeat!
Old 03-29-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
Make significant change to the Accord and make it RWD/AWD, plus offering manual transmission options, I'd be on that in a heartbeat!
That would be neat, but you are in the slimmest of minority buyers for such a car. Honda's configurations are well thought and researched. RWD Accord with a manual is a fantasy unfortunately.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Nissan just made the Altima with AWD as an option but really, it's not required in the segment. Honda's eSH-AWD could be an option, since it doesn't require a driveshaft to the rear, but that's a significant cost increase. Given how cost-conscious buyers are in this market, I don't see anyone really else adding AWD as an option. The development costs and chassis changes are too expensive to justify it.

If you want an AWD Honda, you go buy an Acura with SH-AWD.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
It seems like more and more folks are keen on AWD these days as well. Since I moved to the Carolinas, I see more Subarus than Hondas. And they're normal folk driven, not a crap load of WRXs and STIs like I came to know being in Cali. I actually just picked up a Legacy 3.6R recently too, the Accord wasn't on my radar at all.
I'm seeing the same in charlotte. when i moved here several years ago i never saw subaru's. Now their whole lineup is fairly well represented here.
But charlotte has a TON of northerners here now, so i wonder if they're just continuing to buy AWD because. that's what their used to doing. And the price difference clearly isnt an issue, more than half of the new Pilot's I see here are the AWD Elite models, which cost ~45k (base pilot is 30ish).
Old 04-02-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

After owning many 4wd/AWD cars and driving through about 30+ Minnesota winters and countless blizzards I can say.......AWD is over-rated. I know it is the thing, and everybody has to have it because not to is not "safe" but I really don't think it will be a concern on my next car.

I might buy something capacious with one of the next purchases and that is merely because I am taking care of a few acres and more cargo space than my 3 series would help. But with modern traction and stability control, decent tires are way more important than AWD. I see more AWD vehicles in the ditch than anything else and I either presume they thought AWD made them invincible, they have crappy tires, they are idiots, or all three. I got Xdrive on my 3 series at a cost of a few grand over RWD because I thought my wife might drive it sometimes in bad weather because she is from Hawaii and terrified of snow. She refuses to drive it, so I regret shelling out the extra dough.

There are about three days a year here where AWD would come in really handy. You can generally just avoid driving on one of those days because it lands on a weekend, then you slow down the other two, and bingo, you don't need AWD. For light snow and rain, AWD is not that big a deal as long as you don't drive like a complete buffoon. We had lots of snow this year and I watched a guy from a few blocks away drive an Miata RF pretty much the whole winter. As far as I know, he is not dead or even seriously injured.

Last edited by vader1; 04-02-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have been in the market to replace the family car (Sonata turbo) and have looked at a dozen cars. After driving the top six or so the choice is a Mazda6 (now has a turbo). The Accord was good but after a test drive not compelling.

Our revised budget (I was open to 50K but turns out the spouse is not), requirements, and just plain preference has pushed us to the Mazda... not perfect but every decision requires a sorting of priorities. We have no need for 4WD or a SUV.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by termigni
not selling because it's simply ugly
Nailed it.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:11 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Can't help but wonder: Will we look back on the USDM and ask why the sedan was EVER popular? For the typical American consumer, you get more practicality out of a crossover with the hatchback, and a staggering amount of people put a "higher seating position" near the top of their list of priorities.

I assume I'm like many on this forum: I'd much rather have a mid-size or full-size wagon rather than a crossover, since I find the height and weight increases aren't worth it, but we're a minority. So is it any surprise?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honda recently lowered initial lease prices on the Accord to try to reduce inventories.
I test drove an Accord (and a dozen others) before buying a Mazda6. Sedan sales are dying with the SUV trend.

Quick Reply: The new Accord is not selling!?