Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which NSX would you buy money no object?
Original NSX
57.30%
New NSX
42.70%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

New Acura NSX - sales failure?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm weird in that I've lusted after the old NSX since I was 6 years old, but have only driven the new one.

At their current prices, they both occupy a sort of no-man's land for me. I still really want an old NSX, and could swing one now, but whenever I look at prices they're always higher than the last time, and as much as I believe in experience over numbers I have a hard time justifying spending $50k on a 27-year-old Honda that's not all that quick. Although I haven't driven one, I also think the soft USDM suspension and loooooonng gearing would frustrate me. I still want to try one and love even just seeing and sitting in them, but I feel like the Elise I recently bought would just be more engaging and fun more of the time.

The new one was truly impressive, but again, I doubt I'd spend that money on one. On one hand, I actually think they're a great deal at the ~$120-130k they're going for. It's a very, very fast, extremely comfortably, great-looking car with amazing technology. But at that price, I want a truly great engine sound, light-ish weight, preferably a manual, and a sweet interior - it doesn't really have any of those, so it fell a little flat with me. I'd much rather have a good F430 Spider, even if one at that price wouldn't be a manual (they go for ~$50k more!), and even though it would be slower, less reliable, less comfortable, etc. These cars are about the experience and the Ferrari seems a lot more "special."

If someone were to give one to me, I'd take the new one. But what I'd really want on top of all of them is a pristine NA2 NSX-R.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

2005 NA-2 NSX - didn't spec an NSX-R because i want left hand drive, and they don't come in that...

Extra money used for suspension, wheel, brake, cooling/radiator, and diff/gearing upgrades. Power kept stockish with only I/H/E bolt-ons
Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Brand new, all day long. Better looking, way faster, modern tech, still appears to be reliable (based on what I'm seeing from actual owners), very quick in day-to-day driving.

The old model is a great car (we've had two in the family) but it's basically a Cayman with less power and more weight. I'd just get a Cayman instead...
I would have said the same thing but since you already wrote it, ditto.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:28 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I know people have preferences, but I really cannot wrap my brain around anyone thinking the Cayman (of any year) is not an attractive car.
The following users liked this post:
Piero914 (10-25-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:50 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I know people have preferences, but I really cannot wrap my brain around anyone thinking the Cayman (of any year) is not an attractive car.
I don't care for it. Proportions are off to me.

Not the end of the world.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
First gen Cayman is way ugly! Can't get over how it looks to even fathom a test drive.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Actually 120K is neither here (new) nor there (original): I just spec'd out a new NSX on Acura's site and it came to 175K *without* the carbon-ceramic rotors. Meanwhile, a lovely '03 NA2 with 30K miles just sold at 80K on BaT (sale fell apart, but seller was willing to take it; the re-list was reserve-not-met at 70K).

As for the Cayman: it's fugly, overpriced, and a dime a dozen in L.A....but an absolute revelation to drive. I did a Porsche Experience Center program and make no mistake, its dynamics are everything they're cracked up to be. But at the end I got out, looked at it, shrugged my shoulders and walked away without looking back. Odd - how did they manage to make a car so wonderful to drive, but which still manages not to inspire any feeling at all that the car is really *special*?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Oh man that Cayman IS gorgeous, and I despise red cars. I really need to drive one. I wouldn't mind the boat either!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The King
A Cayman may work well, but is far from special in the looks department. Just like a 911. Plus both are made by a bunch of corporate criminals that have intentionally polluted our environment. I'd rather walk than give them my money.
At first I thought you were blasting them for using the same boring, but classic designs year in year out and saturating the car market with cars that basically all look the same, but then I realized you were talking about the EPA scandal lol
Old 09-21-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

The old NSX now is just a collector's item. Keep in mind that as parts become more scarce than they already are, the operating costs will just keep going up, making it impractical to even drive. The new one is great, but frankly who would spend close to 200k to get one.

But one thing neither has going for it is the ownership experience of a true exotic car like Ferraris, or even Porsches. Buying cars like these is like buying a membership into a club, something I really came to realize recently hanging out with Porsche folks. Yeah I'm sure alot of you are going to thump your chest and say I buy what I like, I don't care about blah blah, and I'm sure you could 1000whp on a stock clutch reliably. For the rest of us, the community that comes with a car is a huge perk. May not be the only or driving reason why you bought one, but it will be one of the big reasons why you enjoy it. This is what the NSX lacks, you're the king of the import crowd and the hero at the boba tea meet ups, but you're not getting invitations to Concourse D-Legances etc. Let me tell you, those private parties that those high end OEMs put on are alot of fun. Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out in cold parking lots huddled around yet another slammed version of my car while shaking my head because someone decided to do a burnout to make us all look bad.

Remember, we are talking about 100k+ cars here. I love both cars, but honestly they just seem expensive for what they are, just like 80s Porsche Targas.

Quick Reply: New Acura NSX - sales failure?