Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which NSX would you buy money no object?
Original NSX
57.30%
New NSX
42.70%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

New Acura NSX - sales failure?

Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Jonboy, why do you think this car was a bust?

indulge me
Old 09-21-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Brand new, all day long. Better looking, way faster, modern tech, still appears to be reliable (based on what I'm seeing from actual owners), very quick in day-to-day driving.
Agreed. I'd go for the new model for much of the same reasons. New NSX is a beautiful car and truly state of the art. The old one was something in its day, but if I wanted an analog drive I'd buy a Lotus.

For pure investment, I'd by the old one. I don't have enough room for a pure investment car in the garage.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

Brand new, all day long. Better looking, way faster, modern tech, still appears to be reliable (based on what I'm seeing from actual owners), very quick in day-to-day driving.

The old model is a great car (we've had two in the family) but it's basically a Cayman with less power and more weight. I'd just get a Cayman instead...
Piss poor marketing I think.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:27 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Piss poor marketing I think.
The delays weren't helping either. If it was a V10 with the earlier styling they would've sold a lot more. The pool of buyers for an NSX is already small and McLaren gobbled up many of the potential buyers. Honda and pinnacle of motor sports are so much in the same sentence for a while now.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

The had a major problem, they put the NSX on the acura page and pointed to it to indicate where all the other cars had contributed. It is the exact opposite. I've spoken at great lengths about why this car was a flop, Jon will disagree. It just wasn't enough of a car for their performance and didn't even sound the part.

R8 all day long is the formula that's selling.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If you think any corporation is "clean", you haven't worked long enough. They all do immoral or shady things (in the manufacturing sector, at least). When real money is on the line, they all bow to the financial pressure and try and minimize it.

A 981 Cayman is a gorgeous car - absolutely beautiful.

I agree with you. I'd love to have this sitting in my driveway!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

a much easier decision in Canada, a new NSX is well north of $200,000, a used old school NSX is $60,000 and up depending on the year. Dollar for dollar I'd take a used one first and pocket the loose change.

The problem with the new NSX is that my grandmother can drive it around any track in the exact same time as a professional driver just by activating all of the electronic gizmos, I think the old NSX would be more fun to drive on a track, for less money. I think the old NSX looks better / more exotic too.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

At 130-140k (used) it’s a good deal I think. I see a few around here a month, it’s nice looking when it’s sitting or rolling. I really like the new orange color. All of these complicated hybrid super/hyper cars are going to age strangely/poorly i think. I think it will be a problem for all cars because of the reliance on certain computer hardware software, with the hybrid super cars being the most reliant on specific firmware and electronic components. How long will Honda make these motors/batteries? Will any aftermarket company be willing or able to keep the car alive after Honda discontinues parts in the future? It wouldn’t surprise me if we see “old” nsxes on the road after the last “new” one disappears. With that said I have no interest in keeping cars for 50 years so give me the new one and I’d take the next new one over this new one. I keep my cars a reasonable amount of time, not like some weird hoarder. Like this chap!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
The old NSX now is just a collector's item. Keep in mind that as parts become more scarce than they already are, the operating costs will just keep going up, making it impractical to even drive. The new one is great, but frankly who would spend close to 200k to get one.

But one thing neither has going for it is the ownership experience of a true exotic car like Ferraris, or even Porsches. Buying cars like these is like buying a membership into a club, something I really came to realize recently hanging out with Porsche folks. Yeah I'm sure alot of you are going to thump your chest and say I buy what I like, I don't care about blah blah, and I'm sure you could 1000whp on a stock clutch reliably. For the rest of us, the community that comes with a car is a huge perk. May not be the only or driving reason why you bought one, but it will be one of the big reasons why you enjoy it. This is what the NSX lacks, you're the king of the import crowd and the hero at the boba tea meet ups, but you're not getting invitations to Concourse D-Legances etc. Let me tell you, those private parties that those high end OEMs put on are alot of fun. Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out in cold parking lots huddled around yet another slammed version of my car while shaking my head because someone decided to do a burnout to make us all look bad.

Remember, we are talking about 100k+ cars here. I love both cars, but honestly they just seem expensive for what they are, just like 80s Porsche Targas.
By grouping all Porsches into one does a disservice to the really special ones, like 911 Turbo, GT2, GT3. The garden variety Boxters, 911 Carrera, Cayman,... are not that exclusive and special. These are dime a dozen, and are common as Camrys and Accords in CA, but their owners do get to say they drive a Porsche.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
It's been three years now, and looking at the latest sales numbers, it looks like sales fell off a cliff, and even pent up demand wasn't that high: Acura NSX Sales Figures | GCBC

Given the prices for used first generations are almost approaching what you can buy a new one for, is it safe to say that the new NSX missed the mark in terms of delivering what made the original so special? Wasn't Honda's sales goal 2,000 per year?

For $120k, would you rather have a brand new NSX or your pick from the used first generation lot?
It cost more than 120k although some buyers got massive discount deal last year which doesn't seem to happen again. New NSX is very underrated car according to my race engineer friend.

Quick Reply: New Acura NSX - sales failure?