Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Alfa Romeo 4C

Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 482 Likes on 366 Posts

Driver's car with no stick doesn't mean they're not a driver's cars, it just speaks on the type of drivers they know will buy their cars, more so if said cars aren't being raced competitively to take advantage of the micro second of benefit.

I'm really not knocking it, I mean I for one don't race competitively and heel toeing isn't second nature to me, and I drive my cars mostly on public roads doing mundane things that hopefully my car makes less mundane, but being stuck in bay area traffic with a torqueless stick shift car is less enjoyable than driving an appliance sedan in full comfort. But I also don't try to posture about only wanting driver's cars, and handling and refinement is everything, yadda yadda, which is why I like, for instance, muscle cars.
I can forgive the alfa for having an automatic, and even the f type, because we know neither of those makes pound their chest about being the ultimate driving/track/etc machine, theyre cars of design and passion, not instruments for competition for the enlightened driver.
The Porsche GT3 being only auto reminds me of the first day of football practice where these kids show up with $150 cleats, cowboy collars, under armour everything, new gloves, bring their own pads (perfectly good pads are provided by the school), bring their own gatorade supplement mixed drinks, yadda yadda, and then play average at best. Nothing arguably wrong with it, but it sorta misses the point.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo' timestamp='1404675402' post='23231996
Thought this was the driver's car? Where's the manual gearbox?
For the same reason Ferrari, Maserati, McLaren, or Lamborghini do not offer a manual transmission....

And from what I read it's not going to happen. The carbon fiber tub won't allow it as it is currently designed.

LOL

Let's not put this automatic transmission in the same conversation, or breath, as those transmissions. This isn't some fancy, snappy shifting DCT. It's the exact same transmission found in the Dodge Dart. Same engine too.

It starts at $55k and for that you're basically paying for drop dead gorgeous styling and the carbon fiber tub. All the reviews I've read say the powertrain and interior quality/fit & finish are sub par.

The Cayman S is better in every measureable way, however if this isn't your DD and you want a more "connected to the road" driving experience the Alfa is the way to go. Too bad about the engine and transmission though - the Porsche unit puts it to shame.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Let's not put this automatic transmission in the same conversation, or breath, as those transmissions. This isn't some fancy, snappy shifting DCT. It's the exact same transmission found in the Dodge Dart. Same engine too.

It starts at $55k and for that you're basically paying for drop dead gorgeous styling and the carbon fiber tub. All the reviews I've read say the powertrain and interior quality/fit & finish are sub par.

The Cayman S is better in every measureable way, however if this isn't your DD and you want a more "connected to the road" driving experience the Alfa is the way to go. Too bad about the engine and transmission though - the Porsche unit puts it to shame.
But the Cayman S starts at 64k, 67k if you want the fancy PDK. Starting at 53k, the regular Cayman is more comparable price and performance-wise.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 AM

Good luck finding one being sold for less than $65k.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 AM

Same for a base Cayman. All the dealerships nearby carry cars 10k over MSRP and up Its kind of a bummer IMO.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

LOL

The transmission is: 6-speed dual clutch Alfa TCT
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that money, I get the Porsche 718 instead.

1. Comes with manual.
2. Quality material.
3. Will get to drive it instead of in their service bay.
4. And when I am done with it, still have resale value.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by marthafokker
For that money, I get the Porsche 718 instead.

1. Comes with manual.
2. Quality material.
3. Will get to drive it instead of in their service bay.
4. And when I am done with it, still have resale value.
A car that is, what, 2+ years away at best...and at worst vaporware that will never actually reach production.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for this rumor, but its about as real as a new S2000 at this point.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to like this car. I really do. but i've never liked alfa headlights after the pontiac solstice somewhat copied it. I'd still like to drive one though
Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1404837984' post='23234750
Same for a base Cayman. All the dealerships nearby carry cars 10k over MSRP and up Its kind of a bummer IMO.
Except you can order a base Cayman today if you wanted to. Ordering a 4C today...you'll get laughed out of the dealership.

And my bad about the transmission, it is DCT. I forgot bc it's probably the second worst one out on the market (after Ford's) ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: New Alfa Romeo 4C