Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New BMW M5 Super Sedan Just Revealed! 550+hp beast

Old 06-14-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New BMW M5 Super Sedan Just Revealed! 550+hp beast

M5 leaked: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544860

What a beautiful sedan. Love that color in particular.
650HP should be easy with aftermarket tuning solutions I'm sure.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is horrible.
finally the new series of Turbo ///M cars are here.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM

I was expecting more HP stock.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM

I think it looks decent. That's a step up given that I didn't like the 5 series after the E36 (which is still my favorite M5). I have mixed feelings about the turbo V8. On one hand I liked that the old motor was a high reving V10. That made it stand out. On the other hand the turbo V8 is probably the better motor save for perhaps the sound... yet to be proven... and the fact that sometimes more cylinders is just cool.

It wouldn't surprise me if the power levels were in part a response to the CTS-V. I doubt BMW liked getting shown up (track times anyway) buy a Caddy.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the looks of it, and I'm sure it will be a great performer. Along w/ many others, I have mixed feelings about turbos replacing high-revving NA engines in the M lineup. I know they're perform great, but suspect some of the traditional M viseral experience will be missing. Oh well, it's a moot point since I won't be able to afford one anytime soon.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S
Love the looks of it, and I'm sure it will be a great performer. Along w/ many others, I have mixed feelings about turbos replacing high-revving NA engines in the M lineup. I know they're perform great, but suspect some of the traditional M viseral experience will be missing. Oh well, it's a moot point since I won't be able to afford one anytime soon.
Just like how all the reviewers have been complaining about how the 1M doesn't feel like an M. Oh wait... they love it.

I'm not worried. I'll miss the responsiveness of a NA engine, but I don't think it's going to massive change the way the M cars feel.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

For a car as heavy as the M5, I think the turbo V8 is fine. Greater available torque lower in the rev range is in character with a big sports sedan. I feel more sad about the M3 losing its normally aspirated V8 for the turbo straight 6.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM

very understated exterior. interior looks outdated before it is even released...although wasn't expecting cutting edge interior on a BMW in the first place.
Not sure I'm feeling it.

Did they intentionally release a bunch of photos with a ton of body roll? I'm sure it was going like 100 mph in each of those photos but it doesn't exactly corner flat...although I'm sure it handles like a much smaller, lighter car...if it doesn't, it's a total fail.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
mdy

Interesting. On paper it seems that the Cadillac CTS-V has it beat.

Any news on the F11 M5 touring? I've heard news about an awd variant. Wonder if they're going after RS6 avant buyers.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ my thoughts exactly. I would have thought that they would have made it at least as fast as a cts-v in a straight line. I would assume that around a road course this will be as quick if not quicker, but to be behind in power, straight line speed, and top end??? Those are the main points that stat sheet racers are going to look at...

Just don't tell me that the ctsv has better skid pad numbers!!!

I am sure that it will still be fun, but I would have thought that they would have upped the game, the same way that porsche did with the turbo after the gtr started spanking them in 08-09.

Quick Reply: New BMW M5 Super Sedan Just Revealed! 550+hp beast