Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Car input-UPDATED

Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Car input-UPDATED

UPDATE: I have found several low mileage 2010 MS3's (2nd gen with goofy smile) for pretty inexpensive pricing. Most have 15-30k miles and can be had for $14-17k, really good bang for the buck. So I think I have decided to try to get a really good deal on one of these OR if I can't get the price I want I will just hold off all together.

Any MS3 owners that want to share a little need to know knowledge?

So I've had 2 S2000s which I loved, a Passat, a Mazda6 V6, and a beater Accord in recent years. I want something different, I love driving and cars are one of my few passions. I'd like suggestions on cars that can "do it all" so to speak. Be a DD, but really fun, reliable as miles rack up, etc.

1. Price range is $15-25k, keep this in mind for price:fun ratio
2. I drive a somewhat significant amount for work, comfort and reliability should be considered
3. Gas mileage doesn't matter TOO much but the more the better obviously
4. Something that can handle the 4 seasons of NJ.
5. Something that will not be heavily modded at all.
6. I'd like to steer clear of Ze Germans (Although I do like the GTI)
7. NO SUVS/Trucks/Jeeps not my cup of tea

My current thoughts:
1. An Evo X, I love the looks, love the performance, but what is reliability like?
2. STi, I like the Evo looks more, but I've heard that STi's are more reliable, I've had experience with neither.
3. MazdaSpeed3/Speed6 way less expensive, less performance, I know that they used to suffer from some pretty random detonation.
4. Maybe just buy a 6 speed Acura TL (obviously way less fun than the aforementioned).

Anything I should include?
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The minute you say "do it all" I hear, do-nothing extremely well. And that you'll never be truly happy with whatever car you buy.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were up north still, and didn't want german, definitely a STi/Evo would be my choice only because I assume they are Ok in the snow with the right tires. Probably I'd get the Subie, they seem like a better car, but the Evo is better looking.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

With used WRX prices these days you might as well get a brand new 5 door hatch WRX base. They are going for $25k OTD all day around here. Very fun to drive, lots of interior space and with a $600 tune you are at 300whp 310+wtq. Very fun daily! IMO.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
With used WRX prices these days you might as well get a brand new 5 door hatch WRX base. They are going for $25k OTD all day around here. Very fun to drive, lots of interior space and with a $600 tune you are at 300whp 310+wtq. Very fun daily! IMO.
That's a really good point. I feel like I'd always be missing out if I went wrx over Sti. I know the WRX had trans issues a few years ago, is that still the case?

I really didn't want to start a wrx/Sti and evo debate but they are the ones on the top of my mind.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
The minute you say "do it all" I hear, do-nothing extremely well. And that you'll never be truly happy with whatever car you buy.
Ya I understand. At times I consider keeping my beater accord and buying a S/C S2000
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by macdaddies911
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1349871867' post='22071809
That's a really good point. I feel like I'd always be missing out if I went wrx over Sti. I know the WRX had trans issues a few years ago, is that still the case?

I really didn't want to start a wrx/Sti and evo debate but they are the ones on the top of my mind.
Do some research on the WRX/STI comparos. Basically in 2011 the straight line performance differences between the two ended. The shorter shifts of the 6spd in the Sti vs the 5spd in the WRX require the STi to shift once more in the quarter mile. Making their 1/4 mile the same. 0-60 times the WRX is actually quicker to 60 due to gear ratios as well.

The Sti does have "bulletproof" 6spd but the WRX is not nearly as fragile as it used to be. I believe the new transmissions are out of the legacy GT. Much beefier than the 02-03 glass transmissions.

If you arent step siding the clutch for AWD launches and flat foot shifting, the regular WRX is going to give you 95% of the performance of an STI for $25k vs $35k minimum for an Sti.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
... the regular WRX is going to give you 95% of the performance of an STI for $25k vs $35k minimum for an Sti.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Fiat 500 or Abarth
Dodge Dart
Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Your price range of $15k to $25k...VW GTi. And you like it, as stated.

The WRX, although a great choice, is $25k range. MazdaSpeed 3 would be on my list, as it is yours, but I know little about the car's reliability. I have driven one and the torque steer is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. In the snow may be more noticeable, but they plow PA/NJ pretty quick. It would make a nice DD IMO.

I know you are shunning ze german, but what about a nicely equipped Mini Cooper S with low miles. You might even find a lightly used JCW. I've driven a few of them and get out of the car smiling everytime. The handling is great fun!

One more thought...Accord Coupe V6 with 6spd. Right price, well equipped, plenty of fun and power for FWD.

The Mini and Accord would deliver better MPG than the other's on your list.

Quick Reply: New Car input-UPDATED