Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Corvette makes Supra and others a dud.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88
I drove 991.2 GTS manual and PDK back-to-back on the track at Barber Motorsports Park. I hate to admit it, but I liked the PDK better. I was slightly quicker in the manual, but had twice as many laps in it at the end of the day. I’m sure one more session in the PDK would have put it on top. PDK is just so intuitive and competent on the track. It also wins for daily driving.

For weekend mountain road driving, I’d still take manual.
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I don't fault people for wanting paddle shifters, especially in high powered cars. Most of us won't get a track day a year let alone become track rats, it's a very expensive hobby that can't really be practiced for free without breaking laws. Slowing down from 110mph on a track with cars all around and then having to worry about nailing a heel toe downshift while concentrating on your brake zones, entry, apex, the jackass in the 3 series passing you on the inside then going way wide during a no pass track session, hitting the paddles and focusing on your zones and line makes it alot of fun.

But for a fun car when just driving around, can't beat a stick.
I'm with both of you. PDK is pretty awesome on a track, at least for a sub-advanced driver like me. But everywhere else, a manual is a lot more engaging and satisfying to me.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
ZDan I am guessing you will love it. The feeling of driving a mid-engine car is far superior IMO. Sort of like being at the front of the roller coaster instead of the back. I like to keep both options in the garage. I have always owned MR2's for this reason. Well, that and they were the only mid-engined cars I could justify purchasing .
I've tracked a fair variety of cars. FF, FR, FMR (S2K), MR, RR and they all have unique characteristics. But the S2000 feels more like a MR car than it does a traditional FR car to me. Cornering in my S2000 felt very similar to cornering in my (now sold) Cayman GT4. Like I'm the center of the pivot point where the car rotates around me. I don't get that feeling in a traditional FR car.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:35 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by radiantm3
I've tracked a fair variety of cars. FF, FR, FMR (S2K), MR, RR and they all have unique characteristics. But the S2000 feels more like a MR car than it does a traditional FR car to me. Cornering in my S2000 felt very similar to cornering in my (now sold) Cayman GT4. Like I'm the center of the pivot point where the car rotates around me. I don't get that feeling in a traditional FR car.
Funny, I got the impression from tracking my S2k of pretty much sitting at the rear axle, just like in the 240Z. Very different to me from Elise, Cayman, 911, etc. other MR or RR cars. Also different from the FD, in which you sit a bit further forward which felt more like an MR car because you sit closer to mid-wheelbase rather than way aft. Even though mine (with LS3) had about a cylinder and a half in front of front wheel centerline...

The S2000 *is* a traditional 2-seat FR sports car. Which is a great thing IMO...
Old 05-30-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm with ZDan on this one. The S2000 felt more like I was near the rear axle. Not as bad/obvious as my Z4 M Coupe, but you still definitely felt like you were pivoting around the front more than in between the wheels. The car did rotate quite neutrally but I had non-stock staggered tires - 225 front / 255 rear - and it would four-wheel drift beautifully, perfectly balanced. The pivot point still felt forward of the driver, though, in my opinion.